• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first m35a1!..i think?

dasmiller227

REB kits were not military, rather an aftermarket kit from Memphis Equipment. Nothing wrong with that.

The Reo 331 Gold Comet engine was one of the best commercial truck engines in it's class. Not cheap to overhaul nowadays, but neither is a Multifuel.

I'd lay money it was always an M34 gasser. If it runs good, I'd keep it just the way it originally. Also, it is unlikely a 1967 truck, more like mid-50's.
Anywhere else I could check for numbers to ID if it was an earlier truck? Going to post frame stamp after replies I definitely want to keep the reo and think goal will be to do super single and more along lines of an m34.

dasmiller227

Is that roof glass or metal ?

Between the back single wheels tucked in and those front fenders, it looks like an M34 that Memphis got ahold of way back in the day, the data plates reflect the newer cab that they would often upgrade to and not bother to remove them .
Did Memphis typically do the front fenders like that?? There's a ton of bondo work done on the fenders to tie in those added rounded out outer plates, looking forward to busting all of that off and getting back to the original style fenders..

dasmiller227

I was thinking cab swap as well. But, the incredibly complex and about 15 piece Gasser throttle linkage seems to be all there and mounted correctly. I can’t see the tunnel covers to try and guess the age that way.

Is the starter foot push or finger push? REO Gassers had foot push.
I'll get some more pictures up later this week or this next weekend! The throttle linkage is a little rigged up, will need some work but it functions! One of the mounts is a wood block and return spring is currently rigged up over to the air compressor.. I need to do some research and see how I need to get it all rebuilt the right way
The starter is a foot push!

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An M34 restoration will require a different bed than an M35.

It had raised rear fender areas to clear the 11.00-20 singles under heavy loads.

The GMC M135 had the same bed, as it was set up for singles as well.

Dig around in the forums, there are some great photos of M34's in service.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the gas and multifuel have different shift patterns? It's definitely the shift pattern shown on the data plate
I am not a gasser expert - other on this site are - but the ones I have seen had the standard "car" like shift pattern. The wonky shift pattern for the multifuel came out of necessity for an OD gear for the lower revving engine. Stands to reason that, as gassers got parts replaced, they were replaced with what was on the shelf at the time.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also wanted to say that the REB kit for the front axle is a desirable upgrade. The sprag works, especially when the operator understands it and avoids "wind up". However, the REB converts the automatic engagement to a purely mechanical engagement with a lever. Prior to the air shift transfer case equipped trucks leaving active service in larger numbers, the REB was a popular upgrade.

HDN

It had raised rear fender areas to clear the 11.00-20 singles under heavy loads.

I wonder how many M135/M34 beds are around! If one isn't going for historical accuracy, I'd go for an M35 bed since it's completely flat across the floor - no wheel wells to worry about :) I take it that they're more common too.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anywhere in particular they'd usually Stamp it at? I found that one on the driver side by the front wheel
Someone posted this on G503. Look for faintly stamped numbers. Poor guy didn't hit the number stamps very hard after a long weekend of boozin there in Indiana.

Attachments

dasmiller227

I am definitely torn on which way to take her. Part of me wants to keep the dump bed and tear it down and rebuild it to more closely resemble what she would have had on her but keep the functionality. The dump bed would be a huge help around the property. I guess I have some time to figure out direction while I get working through her mechanically and basically do a complete rewire(gotta love farm rigged wiring)

dasmiller227

The gasser had 4th gear up and right With 5th 1:1 bottom right.

The multifuel used the 1:1 gear as 4th and had an overdrive gear in the up and right spot as 5th.
She definitely has a multi fuel transmission then! I've read in a few areas people talking about not wanting to put them into reverse in low gear. Does this just apply to the m35a2's and 3's or do I need to be worried about damage? Drove her all the way home in low for various reasons(tires weren't great so didnt want to go above 25, she was in low when I got in her and didn't want to risk any issue shifting the transfer case with an 80+ mile back road drive home, etc) and I used reverse a few times in low. She seems good still, I guess more for future reference

dasmiller227

Also wanted to say that the REB kit for the front axle is a desirable upgrade. The sprag works, especially when the operator understands it and avoids "wind up". However, the REB converts the automatic engagement to a purely mechanical engagement with a lever. Prior to the air shift transfer case equipped trucks leaving active service in larger numbers, the REB was a popular upgrade.
I definitely wish she was more original, but beyond grateful for the setup I got especially what I got her for! Runs great all things considered, just a fair bit of farm rigging to get corrected

dasmiller227

Water cooled air compressor is from the 1950’s. REO engine looks like mine:

Does your cab have welded in door gussets?
She does have the welded in gussets. But doesn't have the flat inner fenders like yours? Sloped fenders like you mention in the video would be for a multi fuel

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks