• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first m35a1!..i think?

Barrman

Are your rear engine mounts held in with rivets or bolts? That is the standard for a Gasser swapped over to a multifuel. If rivets, that is the engine the frame came with. If bolts then it has been swapped over. I think you have a Gasser frame and multifuel body work.

The thing about going into reverse while in low range was for the GM automatic transmission trucks of the same era. M135 and M210. You don’t have to worry about that.

What you do have to worry about is the sprag over running clutch transfer case. Except, you have the REB kit which eliminates the worry of causing wind up if you roll the opposite direction of the direction the transmission is selected.

I would be interested in your front axle shafts. If I remember correctly, the Gassers with the early Rockwells had CV joints while the later trucks had either fewer number balls in the CV or U-joints. That is the part I don’t clearly remember about the newer trucks. It has been more than 15 years since I had a Rockwell apart. Sorry.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The joint with 5 balls is the Bendix CV joint. Also known as the "shovel" joint, one of the balls is drilled to hold captive an alignment pin.

As a side note, I had one of those blow in the left hub on my M54A1. Luckily I was only going some 10 or 15 MPH, so the sudden pull to the left wasn't deadly.

When it failed, it sounded like a rifle shot. It tore up the inside of the housing sphere such that I had to replace the entire axle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks