• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first multifuel?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just noted the registration number, can we get some information?

For sure 1964. For sure M543A2. Maybe USA number of 5D6804 (interpolated) Data snip from Carnac's Historical Thread.

EDIT: I didn't look closely enough at the database earlier.

Attachments

Last edited:

foxtrot

The piston is reassembled as well as the oil sump.
I checked the cylinder head by penetrant testing, the crack caused by the frost is more important and is no longer accessible for welding.
What precautions to take when buying a new cylinder head part number 11641633 are they interchangeable, front and rear?

Washers for oil filters in recycled leather.

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The topic of which oil to use in multi fuel engines has been widely discussed and debated. Seems that if you ask ten people, you will receive ten different opinions. Here is a link to one discussion thread:

Personally, I use Shell Rotella 15W40. YMMV.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
15W40 diesel rated motor oil, no matter what brand will be best for these engines. Ask around the heavy truck shops near you for what brands are available, or that they prefer. Interesting side note - an Exxon refinery had a fire and was shut down, now Shell Rotella is in short supply - who was actually making it?

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
15W40 diesel rated motor oil, no matter what brand will be best for these engines. Ask around the heavy truck shops near you for what brands are available, or that they prefer. Interesting side note - an Exxon refinery had a fire and was shut down, now Shell Rotella is in short supply - who was actually making it?
It probably all comes from one big drum. Labels are cheap.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It probably all comes from one big drum. Labels are cheap.
Same with shampoo and conditioner and all the other things that are packaged in plastic bottles. Had a friend of mine who worked for a company called WePak here in the big city... 55 gallon drums into 16 ounce bottles is their business. You can buy the $10 bottle or the $1 bottle and the only difference is the label on the bottle. I would imagine oil is the same.

Gas out of the big tank farm here in Paw Creek gets their supply from the Colonial Pipeline. Tanks for all the major named suppliers get it the same way and you have to decide if there is any difference. Who knows, maybe there are additives that are mixed into their inbound supply lines?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks