• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first multifuel?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That beam on top of the leaf springs is weird and not much compression travel to be had. Are all the M39s like that or only certain models?
The wreckers are generally done that way - with the beam on top of the springs. Just guessing that is an upgrade for vehicles carrying extra weight. Logic says the beam as opposed to a bigger spring pack was because the vehicle needed extra weight capacity for a short term "mission".

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Photo of the day.
To complete the preparation of the rear of the truck, I still have the face of the left side with its four wheels.

Unless your planing on putting 30 k of weight on the truck itself i would go about an inch past the u bolts on that rear suspension and cut the additional anti flex/spring stiffener on both sides of the u bolt so the leaf springs can travel and WAY improve your ride comfort !

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Unless your planing on putting 30 k of weight on the truck itself i would go about an inch past the u bolts on that rear suspension and cut the additional anti flex/spring stiffener on both sides of the u bolt so the leaf springs can travel and WAY improve your ride comfort !
I've seen that done.

Also found a truck done that way "down in the back" with a broken spring. The way it's made now - breaking the spring is almost impossible. My mumbly opinion is that if the owner needs a better ride - maybe this isn't the right truck for the job. Or the right truck for the owner. A cargo truck definitely doesn't use that sort of spring system.

Of course everybody has an opinion too...

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
20-some years ago when I was a hwy supt I obtained a USGI wheel dolly from Watervliet DRMO for the guys to use... It had a manual jack that used the typical folding crank handle typical for a car or pickup .. The guys did not like it because the height of the wheels could not be adjusted to match the angle of an axle, thus it sat and rusted away in a corner .. They continued to use a payloader for the task.. To their credit, it was very rare that they wrecked a new seal

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks