• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first multifuel?

KN6KXR

I've been following your thread with interest. You are doing very good work! I enjoy doing these things like you: making tools, cutting gaskets, taking the time to do it correctly. If we were neighbors we would have much to talk about over coffee or tea.

I'm also in the process of bringing home a '70 M543A2 in much better shape than yours but still very rough. It's in a place than cannot be towed and must be driven out (many corners, steep hills, narrow roads in mountains). I have it moving under it's own power after some engine work but the brakes they are not safe. So I must work in place in the dirt on not very level spots to fix them. I'm very envious of your nice flat patch of concrete some day I wish to have such a spot at my place!

Keep posting these details I'm behind you in the process and taking notes. It's looking very good!

KN6KXR

Ah I see you are having some of the same issues as I. I visited mine today in the woods and tried to get the brakes adjusted. I found broken shoes, lug nuts with thread coming off, cracked tires, etc.... At least I was able to load 5 tires and take them with me to do what you are up to: paint the rims and renew the bad ones. On the bright side now that I have the engine running the crane actually works and that really helped load the tires. It runs badly but it moves!

Being involved in the same type of restoration I'm very impressed by your work and highly interested in your project. When I can get it to arms reach and out of the mountains I hope to progress that looks like yours. I looked my number up it's a 1967 so just a few years younger. If you have questions or need pictures let me know I'll do what I can. Although mine appears to have had a rather hard life; it also appears to be mostly original so perhaps I can be helpful.

Wreckers.jpgM543A2 pic1.jpgM543A2 pic2.jpgM543A2 pic3.jpg

Last edited:

foxtrot

Curious how are you prepping for paint? It looks very nice are you taking it all down by hand or have a sand blast type setup?
Very good question.
It's the first time I've worked on a hand truck, but don't sand blast the doors or the hood, they don't like it.
Risk of deformation.
I sanded with an 80 grit orbital then some 120 grit paper discs.
I would have liked to take pictures but the weather was terrible.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks