• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first truck

schnackj

Hi new member, I've been using this forum as a resource but wanted to post that I got my first truck on an auction and my EUC was just sent to battle creek. I can't wait to pick it up soon.

Its a m35a2c from Fort Lewis. looks like it was an Oregon army guard truck. I was an 88M in the OANG
serial numbers starts with 88 and has 9k miles. I haven't seen much information about the very last set of trucks that rolled out.

It looks great, GL lists it as starts and drives with a jump
I'm planning on bringing fresh batteries, fluids and tools and driving her home.

Attachments

schnackj

I think I'm wanting to make it a swiss army knife, do anything truck

I have a place to get oil and am thinking of adding a second tank where the spare is with its own centrifuge set up that would be filled with used oil, then run a programed clean cycle. I have been collecting some of the parts for this setup.
I really wish it had a cargo cover though...

scooter01922

Congrats on the new truck. I think you can assume the runs with a jump is true, that or the flapper on the stack is stuck cause its up in one of those pics!!! Don't assume its safe to drive though, be thorough and check it over really well before taking it out on the open road. Good luck and drive safe. Oh, and a deuce (particularly the A2C IMO) does make a pretty good swiss army knife type truck. The dropsides can be SUPER handy for being able to load and offload all sorts of things.

schnackj

I hope the flapper isn't stuck. Its been raining pretty hard. I plan to give it a thurough inspection before taking it out.

mine went for 2400

scooter01922

Thats a pretty good deal these days. I wouldn't worry too much about the flapper. There is a LOT of room in that pipe before water gets near anything of value. However as steelandcanvas said if it IS stuck you best keep everyone well clear of the passenger side. Darned thing is like a soot-water spewing firehose when left uncovered with a good rain. You can get some pretty incredible distance out of it.

61sleepercab

Good luck with the new to you truck!

Our local West Virginia Army Guard drivers had fun putting a water hose in their buddies truck stack and filling up the soot water cannon for a Old Faithful moment until one truck had a exhaust valve open and the engine started with a slug of water aboard. One junked engine did not make the Brass very happy!

welldigger

Thats a pretty good deal these days. I wouldn't worry too much about the flapper. There is a LOT of room in that pipe before water gets near anything of value. However as steelandcanvas said if it IS stuck you best keep everyone well clear of the passenger side. Darned thing is like a soot-water spewing firehose when left uncovered with a good rain. You can get some pretty incredible distance out of it.
Kinda like when I forget to take the bucket off my stack before start up. Luckily there's nothing but trees on that side of my truck where I park it.

TMNT

I routinely start mine with the jug on the stack. It blows off and lands in the grass. Then I don't have to climb up to take it off. I just pick it up as I'm doing my final walk around inspection as the engine warms up.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If his unit numer indeed starts with "88" it will be an 1988 Dropside with the dual brake airpacks.

And by the way, the unit number is not part of the VIN.

Last edited:

np2ij

That would not be correct, only a select few of the A2C's have the dual circuit brakes. Most of them being late series ex- AF trucks.
I assumed the low mounted heater air intake and the flapper on the stack that it was an AF truck. the numbers will tell, so would pictures of the dash!

pelroy

Hello SchnackJ

I got one of these trucks from this event as well. Waiting on the EUC also. Have my fingers crossed that the recovery goes well. GL listing states
"AM General M35A2C 2.5-Ton Cargo Truck without Winch, Has Rails, Bows, Drop Down Sides, Canvas (Unknown if Canvas Fits). VIN:1040-11534. Hercules 6 cylinder Multi-Fuel Engine, Standard 5-Speed Transmission. Hours: 0380.4, Miles: 10895.9. Soft-Top, Has Built-In Key, Has Battery, Starts with Jump, Runs, Drives. GL Will Provide Flat Bed Loading"

With the limited amount of internet research I have been able to do, I think these trucks or at least mine is a 89 AF truck. good luck !

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks