• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My GP discovery

IRWFO

On another thread I posted that my glow plug solenoid never cycles on and off like I keep reading. In the morning I would turn the key and the wait light would be on and the volt gauge would be in the yellow. After the light would go out I would start her up. The volt gauge still showed the batteries being sapped and the solenoid was still on. Depending on the temp outside it would stay on from 5 to maybe 30 seconds. Then I hear it disengage and the volt gauge would read normal. She always starts no matter how cold it is out side so I still feel there is no problem.
On the other thread I was told that my board is bad and I knew it wasn't. I bought a few of the Rev2 boards new from GM 2 years ago. Out of curiosity I swapped out boards with my new spares and all work the same way. Now yesterday while doing a service I installed the Wellman 070's for the hell of it. Guess what? This morning after the wait light went out and I started her up the solenoid started to cycle on and off.
For your info I had AC Delco GP's installed. All test good and nothing was swollen. Weird how the Wellman's make the whole system work differently from the AC's.
BTW. A few years ago I had starter issues and a bad flexplate. I would manually turn my motor to a good spot and get those plugs HOT so she would start in one revolution. I did this for weeks before the starter nose broke. I was worried about swollen tips yesterday but no such problem. I think the AC GP's are a good unit.