• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Guntruck build.

Driver523

Just in case anyone needs em----I sent these to SMOKEWAGON66 but then thought someone else may be interested----here are the measurements to build an A-Cav mount, Thanks go out to Mark of the Jersey Crew with that Angel truck------Driver

Attachments

Driver523

Whoops-----I guess the pintel needs a little something to set in-----I don't right off know the two different sizes inside but the pintel can be measured, the outside diameter would be the size of the hole in the mount or pipe you put it in----Warren I think if your using pipe for your mounts this will work for you also------

Attachments

SMOKEWAGON66

Well, I now have armament for "Animals" [thumbzup] I have (2) M-60 machine guns, and (1) M-2 .50 cal machine gun. :cool:

Thanks maddawg308! Pics forth coming. Now just to find proper mounting hardware.

historyfanatics

Gas Guns

I got them from maddawg308. He could tell you where he got them from. They are just dummy replica's though...no moving parts. Im not sure what youy mean by "gas" though...
"Gas Guns" are machine gun simulators - theyuse propane and oxygen or acetylene to simulate the actual firing of weapons.

I'm gassing the four .50's on The Widow Maker - it's too expensive to shoot live guns ($3,200 perminute). It's just another way to bring the trucks and the memories to life.

SMOKEWAGON66

So...I have a question for Driver523 or minigunner64th...I know i can just as easily email either of you, but I figured id give a little bump here. Can either of you tell me what the mounts for "animals" for the M-60's were? Also, what type of cradle did the single '50 configuration ride on? I know the 50 rode on an A-CAV mount, so I just need the cradle type. I found a place that sells the shield and mount for it, but I want the correct cradles/pintles...any help as always would be greatly appreciated.

Driver523

Looks like the .50 cradle was one of the long tail cradles---the ones without the spring---but last time I chased some parts they were a little pricey, we got a good price on some cradles from Earl Tucker--International Repo Depot-----I can't tell from any of my photos about the 60s but Rich will know-----

raeme

We had a couple with us in Thailand at the air field,HEAVY DUTY stuff.Talked to one of the drivers and he said your first time gives you insporation, then improve on that. You know what I mean?
raeme S.E.Asia 74-76 2 tours.:beer:

SMOKEWAGON66

Ok well Its been a while since Ive been in here so I thought Id put this up here. This is more for the guys who were there and saw or experienced 'Animals' in the flesh.

I was flipping through a thread in the Paint and body work section and came upon this:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/paint-bodywork/72259-gillespie-rapco-paint-samples-colors.html

So...out of these colors as they are shown, which would be the best for the color of my project? I was thinking the Rapco 24087 or 23070. They seem to be the two closest colors that i see to the original that I can find. Opinions?

Last edited:
Smoke, as best my memory can recall and looking at my pics I would say 34094 is probably as close as any of them. The box was slightly lighter green, possibly just a mix of several cans laying around the motor pool.

SMOKEWAGON66

Thanks mini...The reason I asked was because in that thread, the colors looked quite different then the website for Rapco. On Rapco's website, it listed the years the specific colors were used, so wanted some expert input. Here's the website with the list of colors and info:

Rapco Paint Descriptions & Recommended Uses!!! NEW

Opinions on the 2 different colors? Truck and box? I'm still a few months off ordering the paint so no hurry.

Comparison pics:

Attachments

Last edited:
Well Ive got a little paint slung just to check the color. Opinions? Keep in mind it is still wet, but Ill get some better pics tomorrow.
That color looks great! I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's dry!
My wife found an online coupon for a free gallon of paint at a local hardware store. Had she known I would have wanted it, and had I known about it sooner, I would have had some CARC mixed up and put it away for my truck. Oh well, no biggie. the next time that online coupon comes up, I'll take the mixing code and go get some.
I'm guessing you'll be shooting the back of your cab and the front of your bed before you put the bed back on the truck? Like I said before, when you're ready to start fabbing up the armor, just say the word and I'll come up and get to cookin some steel!
:driver:

SMOKEWAGON66

That color looks great! I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's dry!
My wife found an online coupon for a free gallon of paint at a local hardware store. Had she known I would have wanted it, and had I known about it sooner, I would have had some CARC mixed up and put it away for my truck. Oh well, no biggie. the next time that online coupon comes up, I'll take the mixing code and go get some.
I'm guessing you'll be shooting the back of your cab and the front of your bed before you put the bed back on the truck? Like I said before, when you're ready to start fabbing up the armor, just say the word and I'll come up and get to cookin some steel!
:driver:
Redbeard,

Yah I wanted to paint the back of the cab/front of the bed before installation...Ill probably completely paint the bed before putting it on though. I have to do more prep work on that still...but Im trying to get the truck at least finished soon. My goal is to get it least back to a full deuce for a car show in august...I cant afford the whole gun truck before then though. Hopefully before the end of summer Ill at least get started on the fabrication.

raeme

Coooollllll,Smoke. When we painted these things we had not the luxurey of proper thinners, so we mixed gasoline, premieum gave a gloss while regular half-half, if you wanted flat flat use range fuel,mixed with JP4.8)
raeme

L1A1

Ok fella's... Opinion time!

If i were to aquire and install a M6 37mm AT Cannon on the back of my truck near the rear with a shield instead of 2 M2 BMG's , and 2 M2 BMG's at each front corner of the bed, would that be cool? Ive looked around and have never seen a deuce with an M6 on it, but they did mount them on jeeps and half tracks.

Question is, would this be out of line for what im doing or would it be acceptable?

something like this....
One reason why you probably wouldn't have seen an M6 37mm AT gun in the back of a VN era guntruck was because they were phased out of service before the end of WWII. The 37mm was quickly made obsolete during that war. They had a longer service life in the Pacific with the absence of tanks to shoot at, the Army/Marines used cansiter (shot) rounds on massed (Japanese) Infantry formations.

Now the French installed a 40mm bofors gun into the bed of a CCKW for use in Indochina. That would be a cool conversion for someone to do. BTW, your truck looks nice (I like the way it looks in the fist pics, no canvas, w/s folded).
Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks