• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my m1009 engine rebuild, turbo addition, AC addition, and trans swap

snakepliskin

after not getting to drive my cucv for almost six months mostly because busy at work and other broke downs in the way have finally gotten started on fixin it up and i have bitten off a lot to chew

the engine and trans are out of the truck now and the engine is already apart with block and heads currently at the machine shop

have already scored some turbo stuff at the pull it yerself junk yard from a 6.5 1995 and 1994 models

got the accessory brackets from the 94 also so i can go to serpentine belt setup and facilitate ac pump mounting

got a 700r4 from a 1988 and the np243 case to go with it to swap with the nv4500 ive already put in it and dont like to much

also have lots of spare 6.2 parts from a humvee motor i bought off govliquidation but some stuff in it aint so great it seems the motor must have been out in the rain a while

Attachments

snakepliskin

the precombustion cups in the cucv heads are the older style and the humvee heads have the newer ones can you just knock these out with a punch and swap them?

chevyCUCV

Nice build you have got going on
I am surprised you dont like the nv4500, anything specific about it?
And that tcase is a np241 i believe

And the precups should punch out with a brass punch. Bigger is better, since you are going turbo so if you can get a set off a turbo motor/6.5 you will be better off, with a slight drop in compression ratio.

snakepliskin

couple reasons for the nv4500 leaving

my wife drives manual just fine but cannot drive the truck with that trans ( i have no idea why)

most of my driving is in city so lots of clutch work required

i used the hydraulic setup with the advance adapters bellhousing and slave cylinder mount bracket they sell and used the gm slave cylinder they suggested but never have been able to get the clutch to fully disengage with that set up. ended up burning up a clutch plate in about a year driving (about 20k miles) even messing with it over and over trying to get it to work

had to replace the starter during that time and the AA bellhousing made it a problem

swollen left leg!

snakepliskin

here is some of the rebuild kit stuff, i bought a kit from someone on ebay advertising as a kit from the military. i dont know about the validity of that but it does seem like a very thorough kit as any engine kit should be of course. the only thing that really wasnt there was valve seals so i just told the machine shop to order them.

i definitely jumped the gun buying a kit before even taking the motor out of the truck though and i didnt even realize it until the machinist asked if i had measured the bores to know that those pistons would be the right size

Attachments

southdave

Wow, sounds like what I have and still doing lol.. This time is the last, I swear, if she doesn't preform like it should, I am going to bugout and nuke it from orbit..All I have done to mine I would have better off buying a civy k-5 and painting it green lol.. I got that green crap on the brain.

snakepliskin

yeah maybe. im absolutely sure that this thing has turned into a money hole for sure. but i do enjoy driving it. im headed back to the pull apart tomorrow to fish out some more parts

snakepliskin

got some junk yard stuff over the weekend, the backing plate/timing cover for a reverse rotation water pump is also reverse. the one i found was bent so i dont know if it will be ok

Attachments

snakepliskin

today at wally world i found this can and thought it might fit on top of the intake manifold it said stainless steel on the label but i figured i would just silver braze on a 2" outlet. for $7 i figured if it wouldnt fit i would just say oh look honey i bought you this great new kitchen junk. it does fit and quite well too. also through some walmart magic of metallurgy magnets stick to it so i dont know

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Tach sender. You're missing the vacuum pump though. But then again, you're going to a 700R4, so it's not an issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks