• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M170

triton227

Yes it was originally a radio jeep with the 100A generator setup and trc-75 radio. it has been converted to 12v and I'm trying to find the parts to restore it to its original configuration. I have working VRC-10 radio in it now.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, 900 watts on SSB. Does the engine and water pump still have the 4-groove pulley? That's hard to find.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great, when you get a chance, post up some pics of that mount and all the mounting holes for the radios. You have a very rare Jeep.

triton227

Here's some pics of the cowl antenna mount and radio gauges and switches. the top gauge used to be an ammeter but someone put a second fuel gauge in there for some reason? the middle switch has a large relay box on the back of it with a big connector just like the headlight switch and below that is a hour meter.

The rear floor has two 1" holes for the power cables and there are two identical holes on the firewall too. The two TM photos are the only reference I can find to this vehicle and its original configuration.

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting the pics! So really this is a USMC Jeep? Looks like you are missing the airlift? rear bumper, Surplus City used to have those kits. Believe it or not, somewhere, I have the voltmeter that goes in the dash. I removed it from a M170 a very long time ago. I wonder if I can find it. Does the radiator cowling have the jagged hole cut for the 100 amp cables?

triton227

Thanks for posting the pics! So really this is a USMC Jeep? Looks like you are missing the airlift? rear bumper, Surplus City used to have those kits. Believe it or not, somewhere, I have the voltmeter that goes in the dash. I removed it from a M170 a very long time ago. I wonder if I can find it. Does the radiator cowling have the jagged hole cut for the 100 amp cables?
Someone cut about 10" off the ends of the rear bumper for whatever reason lol, I have a new one I need to put on but it's not a USMC bumper, and I think the grill is not original because there are no holes or mounts for the rectifier.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How else can I tell if this was a USMC jeep? it does not have lockers.
I drew the conclusion that it is USMC based on the last technical manual illustration you loaded. That is a USMC Jeep. The rear "airlift" bumper fits over the stock bumper which is riveted in. I call it an airlift bumper, I don't think that was the term then. Only the late 1960's M38A1s had lockers.

I looked for the gauge in my gauge drawer, wasn't there, because I just remembered it is on the radio parts shelf (not here at the house).

Whiterabbit

You one lucky dog!
That's a nice score even if you have to go on a scavenger hunt for the parts.
Yep, I so got to add an M170 onto my bucket list. :-D

triton227

I drew the conclusion that it is USMC based on the last technical manual illustration you loaded. That is a USMC Jeep. The rear "airlift" bumper fits over the stock bumper which is riveted in. I call it an airlift bumper, I don't think that was the term then. Only the late 1960's M38A1s had lockers.

I looked for the gauge in my gauge drawer, wasn't there, because I just remembered it is on the radio parts shelf (not here at the house).
This is whats left of my bumper, it does have a inner and outer piece.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks