• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my m35 mod updates (pics): VIC-1, Evap. etc.

mbarber84

Well all,

Finally had a chance to take some pics of the truck, cleaned up, and finish the current mods list. Including pics, heres what I have so far...

- Re-plumbed heater hoses with new 1/4 turn valves
- Installed the Alcohol Evap. kit on the air system
- Installed the VIC-1 intercom system
- Installed the MX Surge protector
- Hosed it off and took it for a spin :)

Thanks to all the folks who helped me get this far, I greatly appreciate the assistance!

Attachments

powerhouseduece

Its about dang time you posted some pics!! I was so mad when I saw your truck at the DRMO, only because it wasent mine!!! We are currently installing the Vic-1 in my brothers truck since its in my shop for a turbo..... looks great and keep up the great work!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great looking mods!

Question, where did you get your VIC-1 headsets? that's all I need for my setup, I have everything else. Also, the power cord from the surge protector to the battery, how did you handle that? cut off one end and wire it to the terminal? Mine has connectors on each end.

Thanks! And good looking truck you got there!

mbarber84

Ferro,

Thanks for the comments! I got my headsets from Ebay, theres always VIC-1 stuff on there. I am also very sure you could get them from members here who would be interested in selling. They are not very expensive.

As for your question about the cable, yes, I cut one end and wired each line to the battery terminals. Remember the 24volts :) Also, if you have not included an MX7777 surge suppressor in your VIC-1 setup, I would HIGHLY recommend you do so. As I was informed by the pros here that the VIC-1 system has no tolerance for electrical spikes. The MX7777 will protect your investment, they are easy to install and relatively inexpensive. If you want more info, please feel free to PM me or respond here (doesnt matter), I would be happy to assist you. Best of luck and thanks again for the kind words!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Matt,
Thanks for the info on the headsets, I'll have to watch ebay more dilagently for a set.

Yep, I got my setup from Medlog, and he made sure I got the MX7777 surge suppressor. I also have a radio base, but not sure if I'll ever get a radio. I'd like to one day... I have duel spring ride seats in my M109, so I will have to plan a little different on the locations of everything. I'm thinking about getting another crew box so I can put it in the 109 box. (incase the wife is ridding in the hammock in the back and needs to pee! ;-))

Thanks for the help. Hope I can post some pics myself soon.

mbarber84

No Problem Ferro, anytime....like I said, if you need anything else dont hesitate to ask!

Just an FYI, I remember reading that there were other, non-original, headsets that could be adapted for use with the VIC-1 system (at least I think I remember) Im sure they are much more expensive, but if you are looking for somthing a bit more comfortable, you may want to go that route. The standard headsets are nice, but they are old-school technology.

Just my 2 cents worth, either way the VIC-1 is sweet!...........

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CX-4720 is the cable from the battery to the MX7777 surge protector. I just ordered my missing pieces from www.fairradio.com . Seemed relatively cheap and easy to deal with. Just out of curiosity why did you install the 1/4 turn valves on the heater?

m109guy

Where did you get the alcohol evaporator kit? Is it a NOS kit, or something you picked up at some place like NAPA?

mbarber84

I installed the 1/4 turns for several reasons. First, the control valves that were on the truck were in poor shape, most of the wing nuts were bent or broken so they were very hard to use. Secondly, it makes it that much easier to isolate the heater system if i ever need to do any work. Other than that, it was basically just a, "those will be nice" type of thing....i think it worked out well!

The alcohol evaporator is a complete NOS kit that I recovered from ebay. I just happened to stumble across it one day while browsing the military surplus stuff....only minutes left on the auction, I took the plunge. For $100 bucks, I didnt think it was that bad of a deal.

Now I am looking for the side marker lights in amber and red, the ones with the o.d. green bases. I have read on here that the "mini light kits" are practically impossible to find, and when you do, they run several hundred bucks. If anyone has the marker lights available, or knows a good source, I would appreciate a heads-up as I would like to purchase several to do my truck.

Thanks for the kind words all!!

Yea...how did I manage to hit that button at exactly 0:00, thats helarious. It was a late night....

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great looking truck, and nice mods! You'll find that a mason jar is a perfect-fit swap in for the plastic evaporator jar!

mbarber84

Thanks all!........ZB, I am about 30 min. south of "the burgh"

My truck is actually being stored at my friends business, Kiefer Coal & Supply in Bethel Park (Right outside pittsburgh)

I live in Roscoe, where the truck will eventually be kept.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
CX-4720 is the cable from the battery to the MX7777 surge protector. I just ordered my missing pieces from www.fairradio.com . Seemed relatively cheap and easy to deal with. Just out of curiosity why did you install the 1/4 turn valves on the heater?
Actually the correct cables from battery to MX7777 or 7778 is the CX-1061 and from the MX to the mount or amplifier is the CX-13089.

Suggest

TM 11-5820-401-20-2

Later

CARNAC

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Crap, I already ordered the CX-4720. Will it work or do I need to order again?