• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M38A2 (CJ5)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I'd start a thread on a little project I've been working on. It's actually a 1974 CJ5 but I've added some military modifications so I thought M38A2 would be appropriate.

The original speedo/gauge combo was inop so I replaced the instrument panel with one from a M715. All the gauges are new Autometer except the speedo, it came from a M35 and reads correct using the stock CJ cable and drive.

The factory turn signal switch was inop so I wired in a M-series switch I had lying around.

I added a set of military shackle mounts to the front bumper so I'd have a pull point and also the ability to use a military towbar.

For the seats I picked up a set of M38A1 cushions and modified the original CJ frames to accept them.

On the rear I used a set of M-series tail lights I robbed off a parts deuce and added a set of reproduction bumperettes from a MB.

To top it off I painted it 3-color camo patterned after the M151 3-color pattern.

Other mods I plan to do is add M-series front turn signals and a jerry can rack. I just can't figure out a good location for the jerry can. The back would be the best but it would hinder the tailgate operation, the tailgate comes in handy hauling stuff around the farm. The light switch has been acting a little screwy so I might also throw in a 3-lever.

I've also found out that a deuce passenger seat is just the right size to fit between the fender wells for a back seat. I just want to figure out a way to make it easily removable when I need the bed space.

Attachments

Last edited:

wilfreeman

Overall, I like it! The only things I would do different are 1) put early m series tail lights inset in the rest instead of the big ones, and 2) move the bumperettes out wider on the rear crossmember.

What engine and axle ratios are you running? 4 speed? I bet it runs down the road a LOT better than my a1!

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree really super nice job. Rear lights are too large or in wrong place.
That is the only thing that looks a little off.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ty, Thanks for posting pics of your project! It's awesome!

It looks like there is sufficient real estate on the passenger side of the dash for some government property data plates! They wouldn't cost too much and would add to the image!

Rick

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Overall, I like it! The only things I would do different are 1) put early m series tail lights inset in the rest instead of the big ones, and 2) move the bumperettes out wider on the rear crossmember.

What engine and axle ratios are you running? 4 speed? I bet it runs down the road a LOT better than my a1!
I thought about the early tail lights and agree they would look better but I've been almost rear ended twice. I figure I need as big of tail lights as I can get.

232 engine, 3-speed. Honestly, I don't know what the axle ratio is. I'd love to swap in a granny low 4-speed of some sort. Even with the t-case in low, sometimes 1st is too fast when trying to ease around.

Last edited:

Al Harvey

For the jerry can holder, how about one on top of the rear fender wells or on the front passenger or driver fender where the "JEEP" stamp is?

A-Vickers-K-armed-Jeep-of-G-Patrol-on-the-way-to-Barce.jpg

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Worked on the Jeep a little today.

Added some m-series front turn signals. I know, the smaller ones might have looked a little better but as I said about rears, I want to be seen better as to avoid accidents. I just removed the stock lens and bezel and bolted a military light front cover directly over the factory light. I had to fire up the milling machine and mill out some of the inside of the cover so it would fit flush.

The spare and the Jerry can holder are just sitting there temporary to see if I like the location of both. I'm not real crazy about the tire hanging off the side like that but there's really no other place for it. That's also the best place I've came up with where to put the Jerry can thus far.

After the above comments about data plates, I've e-mailed dataplates.net about making me some custom data plates based off of M38a1 plates but with the info changed to reflect my CJ5. The stock data plate that's on it is just a sticker and is getting in bad shape and I need to replace it anyway.

Attachments

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The front signals look ok.
I know it would be a pain but is there any room to cut the body and maybe recess the rears like on the 5 tons

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know it would be a pain but is there any room to cut the body and maybe recess the rears like on the 5 tons
When I was working on the rears, I looked at the recessed buckets like the HMMWV use. There's just not enough room (width) on a Jeep with a tailgate.

Dieseljeeper

Nice job. One suggestion on the spare and jerry can, how bout a frame mounted swing away mount that puts the spare and can in the original position. I've been doing a build similar to yours except mines an m38a1 that's powered by a kubota turbo diesel. I'm probably going to use a Meyers top because I already have it and am building a swing mount using a trailer spindle and hub behind the right bumperette and latching at the left bumperette. As soon as I get the body back on I will post some photos.the object is to keep the military attitude with more modern running gear. For a trans, how bout a t18? Again, cool rig!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have thought about a rear swing out holder for the spare and jerry can. I may go that route.

I'd love to see some pics of your build.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice job. One suggestion on the spare and jerry can, how bout a frame mounted swing away mount that puts the spare and can in the original position. I've been doing a build similar to yours except mines an m38a1 that's powered by a kubota turbo diesel. I'm probably going to use a Meyers top because I already have it and am building a swing mount using a trailer spindle and hub behind the right bumperette and latching at the left bumperette. As soon as I get the body back on I will post some photos.the object is to keep the military attitude with more modern running gear. For a trans, how bout a t18? Again, cool rig!
We need more info on your Diesel M38a1! Got a build thread and photos?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great! You will fool 90% of the population
I'm not really trying to fool anybody. I'm just playing around with parts I had lying around and building close to what the military may have used if they stayed with the Jeep platform. That's one of the reasons I went with the three color camo, to differentiate it from a m38a1. Also, if anybody ever ask me what it is, I tell them it's just a cj5.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks