• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new 211

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As you can see, the inside needs some repainting and a left section of the dash looks like something fell on it ! If anyone has a parts truck let me know!:popcorn:
As soon as I can get the time, There's some parts trucks up north. I'll keep my eyes open for a dash. Not sure when we'll be able to make the run, might be early spring when the darn weather calms down arond here...really need one of those emoticons that has crossed fingers

pa.rich

M211

If you see a good gas tank or any kind of original top, let me know! Thanks. BTW I have brake parts to do the brake repairs on mine, then its going up for sale.;-) The truck does have a foot step on the passenger side rite under the tool box. See pics above.I will look for more close pics of that.

Attachments

Last edited:

pa.rich

Disregard the inside of the M37, not supposed to be there, the one with the blue tarp on the floor.The outside of my truck was all restored, but havent done the inside yet.Oh I sent the foot step outside! No mine doesnt have the bar on the dash, I think that was done on the later years.

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Disregard the inside of the M37, not supposed to be there, the one with the blue tarp on the floor.The outside of my truck was all restored, but havent done the inside yet.Oh I sent the foot step outside! No mine doesnt have the bar on the dash, I think that was done on the later years.
Thank you very much for the pictures, definitely going to help my project. My truck has the tool box, it's full of junk including 30-06 ammo. I've got something to compare with, Thanks!

Attachments

Gunner0311

Japan?

Okay, I have to ask: What is the deal with the data plate refering to "JAPAN ORDNANCE" something or other?

Was it rebuilt at a deport while serving with US Forces in Japan at some time??

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, I have to ask: What is the deal with the data plate refering to "JAPAN ORDNANCE" something or other?

Was it rebuilt at a deport while serving with US Forces in Japan at some time??
This is one of those times that all I can say is I don't know but can surmise some things, which just means I might have a clue. I would strongly suspect, especially since it's a 54 that it ended up in either Japan for Occupation duties or it was sent to Korea and as part of the rotation of Divisions between South Korea and Japan, this particular truck was overhauled while in Japan. I haven't noticed anything yet to explain the reason for the tag. There may have been a program in place during the time frame listed on the tag where trucks were brought to a central overhaul facility and restored to a set standard. There are two versions, I'm finding out, of the 211. There's the XM-211 early models where the standard truck was not set. oddeties will show up with those as I understand it. When they finalized the M-211 standard, the X was dropped and all trucks from that point were just M-211.

For informations sake, bringing an entire Divisions trucks back to the States was a logistical nightmare. Easier for the Division to rotate in and out and just leave the vehicles in place .

Dad was with the 24th ID up to '53. He used the WW II 2 1/2 version (CCKW?) in both Korea and Japan in his pictures, the grill is unmistakable. His Division rotated out of Korea a couple of times. Dad was in the last rotation in his Division Book, called the 24th Forward. At some point after that or even during his time there the M-135 and M-211 started showing up.

So, bottom line, if the truck could talk, it would have one heck of a story to tell. Usually trucks that become obsolete in country are left for the allies in that country such as Japan or South Korea. How'd it get back to the States? I'll keep poking around it as the winds allow, maybe I can get some more details. I bought the truck from a Salvage yard so no history came with it...I wonder if CARNAC has info on this old of a truck?

Best answer I can give, If i can find out more, I'll post it. Thank you for asking..gave me an excuse to dig Dads old book and pictures out. **** I miss him.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As you can see, the inside needs some repainting and a left section of the dash looks like something fell on it ! If anyone has a parts truck let me know!:popcorn:
Beautiful truck! Mine will look as good when I'm done. You set a standard i have to match. Where do you get your parts such as brakes and engine gaskets?

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget some lug nuts are lefties. I had to use a 6' cheeter and whe they let loose it was painful on the hands. wear gloves. Check with Jim he may have a gear lug wrench. I think he may be just down the road from you. As long as he is giving away my secret salvage locations, he could just as well break them loose for you. :whistle:

srajetk

I just found a M211 for sale on craigs list, DFW $1100. It looks pretty rough, but might have some parts you need. it even has a winch.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just found a M211 for sale on craigs list, DFW $1100. It looks pretty rough, but might have some parts you need. it even has a winch.
Now I'm depressed. No money and no way to get it to Wyoming..sometimes you get the bull and sometimes you get the horn...Darn, just got horned.:-D
Thank you very much for the info. [thumbzup] I can only hope a similar deal shows up near here ; when I have money of course.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget some lug nuts are lefties. I had to use a 6' cheeter and whe they let loose it was painful on the hands. wear gloves. Check with Jim he may have a gear lug wrench. I think he may be just down the road from you. As long as he is giving away my secret salvage locations, he could just as well break them loose for you. :whistle:
He hasn't given tham all away, yet. I promise to keep the non-public ones secret (if there are any). I have the gear lug wrench, have three different types in fact. Ones an odd ball no matter what you call it. The wrench is great, the problem is I ani't got enough backside to turn the durn lugs, hence the impact wrench. Thanks for the reminder on the lugs direction. I learned that one the hard way on my M-35's though. Not kidding, these things are TIGHT! Tighter than bulls backside at fly time! As soon as I can get the truck in the barn, I'm going to use the tried and has worked in the past method of applying heat to the lug till it breaks loose. I can't do that outside, we're under a red flag warning for fire conditions. If I light up a torch where she's sitting, I could ignite half of Laramie county. Jim would be safe, he's North west of me, so itwouldn't reach him but every body south east of me to include Cheyenne would be extremely P.O.'ed at me.

Vietnam Truck is in the Barn with a brake job half finished. When I can get that done, hope to get the "Old Fart" running and into the barn. More to come...can't wait to make that Capser run tho. Got some parts with my name on them up there!:-D:-D

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post a list of what you need. I may have some stuff in the scrap pile. I've already tossed some stuff. I'm meeting the Jim and Maccus in 3 weeks at Custer SD. I'm bringing some parts for them. Jim could get them to Cheyanne WY. I'll PM you my phone number. Gimme a call.
Dan

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GMC 6X6
try this site. They say they have a dash part that looks like it will work. Disclaimer, I don't know anything about this company.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Originally Posted by jeffhuey1n

""""There are two versions, I'm finding out, of the 211. There's the XM-211 early models where the standard truck was not set. oddeties will show up with those as I understand it. When they finalized the M-211 standard, the X was dropped and all trucks from that point were just M-211. """"

I've been curious about the "X" for some time now. Thanks for shedding some light on it.

I've attached some borrowed photos of an M135 that set the bar very high. I believe the link is still on this page with the pics (left column) of a completed truck.

MILITARY TRUCK FOR SALE .........this truck is definitely NOT FOR SALE.

We really can't have too many G749 photos....or Dad war stories, thanks for sharing.

Keep those 211 photos coming.............and the parts list.

Attachments

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Originally Posted by jeffhuey1n

""""There are two versions, I'm finding out, of the 211. There's the XM-211 early models where the standard truck was not set. oddeties will show up with those as I understand it. When they finalized the M-211 standard, the X was dropped and all trucks from that point were just M-211. """"

I've been curious about the "X" for some time now. Thanks for shedding some light on it.

I've attached some borrowed photos of an M135 that set the bar very high. I believe the link is still on this page with the pics (left column) of a completed truck.

MILITARY TRUCK FOR SALE .........this truck is definitely NOT FOR SALE.

We really can't have too many G749 photos....or Dad war stories, thanks for sharing.

Keep those 211 photos coming.............and the parts list.
Beautiful Truck and Awsome pictures!!!, Thank you! These as well as the other pics of trucks are going in a reference book for me to use. The TM's are OK but black and white photos just don't cut it.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post #3

Weather was fantastic:mrgreen:! Used the time to clean out all the crap (literally) from all the nooks and crannies of the truck. Emptied out the tool box (filthy), washed out the Bed of 95% +/- (dirty) and removed the floor plugs in the cab and turned on the hose after removing a big cargo strap, one rotted pair of gloves, a nasty looking red rag and half a role of toilet paper (must have been used by the mice as there was ample evidense they had been using MY truck as their toilet). I'm not going to describe it but I had a face mask and rubber gloves on for the whole operation. Emptied out the glove box too. (dusty and some odds and ends) Paint inside is in pretty good shape:-D. Seats are shot but the frames are in good condition. Still looking for all the broken and missing parts. Got a pretty good list going so it'll be ready when the time comes (as well as the paycheck)[thumbzup]

Snow and ick for the next couple days again so back to the Vietnam Truck to finish the brake job. Next post will be when i get into the engine to find the leak causing the water/oil mixture in the engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks