• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New 6.5 TDL HMMWV engine. Is this the right one?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes but remember, it's only a long block which means basically its from the complete cylinder heads down. No intake, injection pump, turbo, exhaust accessories and the like.

dilvoy

Jpinst, It's going to be very hard to find a complete Humvee engine assy that is able to be exported, because of the End Use Restrictions put on these engines. I have a couple of New Turbo Long Block Assys that Were in the parts system of AMG and were Cast by International Harvester. This block is the design that was after GEP took over procuction of these engines. They took care to redesign the casting to take care of that #8 Cylinder Problem and possibly some other things. These blocks can be identified by the IH symbol cast into the engine valley area, just below where the Injector Pump sits. It is the two Triangles sitting opposed to each other. I Will sell one of these for $5,000 and it can be exported as it does not have any end use restrictions. It was purchased by a Gov Contractor as a spare and was never used, so it wasen't owned by the Military. It is still in it's original Crate. $5,000 plus shipping. It is a long block and not a fully dressed engine.

Attachments

jpinst

OK, so if I understand you correctly, this i the "better" version of the later model 6.5 TDL HMMWV engines?

To make a running engine out of it, what is your guess on the parts cost? Are they readily available? I'm just afraid that I will end of spending the next few years sourcing the other parts....

Please advise. I am interested.

bobby2114

we have switched all our 6.2 out for 6.5's now. our GL here at fort campbell is full of 6.2's now because they are using them here anymore. some of our heavy hmmwv's have serpentine setups and are 6.5.

Southern Yankee

Just an Idea.... If you're not worried about it being "correct" as it was when in service then the answer is simple. Buy a wrecked 2001 and up Chevy or GMC with the Duramax Turbo Diesel and the Allison trans. Then you would have the Humvee that SHOULD have been built. I know it will fit (although I'm sure it's alot of work) because I've seen one in person.

Later,
James

jpinst

So, guys, what do you think of that engine dilvoy is offering me? Is that going to be a drop in for my 1025 with ECV kit? Is sourcing the rest of the parts going to be difficult?

Thanks in advance.

dilvoy

That "Drop In Turbo Conversion Engine" for $8,400 looks like the ticket. It has the Military turbo boost controller. It would need to have an injection pump top cover installed that has 24 volt internals, but that's easy to do. Plus this engine will have a warrantee.

fobrat

That hole you see is a water drain hole for the valley which sould be hooked to a tube that exits the side of the block in the back. that engine will work for you, if don't us the serpentine belt system, I think you will have to replace the water pump, the bolt holes for the old pully will not line up. The only thing you will not have is your fan cut off switch, cause the tps is mounted in its place. but you can install one on the throtle cable side. Other than that it will work and is a much better motor.

ClarkeF

That hole you see is a water drain hole for the valley which sould be hooked to a tube that exits the side of the block in the back. that engine will work for you, if don't us the serpentine belt system, I think you will have to replace the water pump, the bolt holes for the old pully will not line up. The only thing you will not have is your fan cut off switch, cause the tps is mounted in its place. but you can install one on the throtle cable side. Other than that it will work and is a much better motor.
If you don't use the serpentine setup you HAVE to change the water pump - they are reverse rotation over the belt setup. Basically your looking at all new accessories and mounting for belt vs. serpentine. I'd stick with the serpentine - it's a better system and a higher flow water pump - it's also current.

Clarke

TedG

You can have a fan cutout switch mounted near the ip with proper linkage attached to the drivers side of the ip. The turbo wire harness allows for a cutout switch, a tps and ip power.

See picture. Left circle is the bracket that hold the fan cutout switch and the right circle is bracket that activates when the throttle is mashed. This is shown in the TM 9-2320-387-24P in an obscure location...gotta luv the tm's!

Regards,

Attachments