• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My "new" deuce, '71 Jeep M109a3

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I've had my new truck for a little over a week now, starting to get to know it. In pretty good shape I think, has a few kinks. Mainly no brakes! Drove it home 146 miles from High Springs, FL to the Orlando area. Sure got good at downshifting. Runs very well on the highway, the 11 new radial 44' tires sure helped that. The rearmost axle brake line is disconnected/capped off, and I have no boost from the airpack. Have taken the airpack apart twice now, I see nothing wrong with it. Master seems good as well. Have a hard pedal with what I'd say is at best 20% braking ability. Picked up a rear brake line from RAYZER ( Ray ) yesterday, planning on installing it this week. But will still have the airpack issue. Any idea's, please advise. Overall, I am pleased with the truck and I feel like I will enjoy it for a good while. Have learned a lot from the posts on this site, THANKS GUYS!

Scott :-D

Attachments

FatBuddhaBoo

Looks good Scott, and looks like someone has already started rehabbing the box for you too! I had my heart set on an M109 for my first MV, but opted instead for the M35 so I could crew cab her then build a custom camper.

As for the braking, does it get any better if you pump the pedal at all? Have you bled everything using a power bleeder? If not, I'd get that rear line replaced, bleed everything out really good and go from there. I'd be looking on the back side of the tires to see if a wheel cylinder is possibly leaking, or maybe even breaking down one wheel at a time too to check the condition of each. It's a simple system really, but can certainly cause lots of heartache.

rpwpyw

Just picked up our M109a3 about 2 hours ago. How long does it take to get used to one? Suposedly has power steering. I'd hate to drive one if it didn't. Anyone know where we can find an owners manual?
Scott; we will follow your posts and see how you are doing.

cobra5

Wow!!!!!!!!!! So you drove a truck this size on the highway 146 miles knowing it didn't have brakes. You do realize that had you been involved in an accident and killed someone, your actions could have brought this hobby into a negative light. As a result the government could have changed its policy on surplus vehicles and issued a demil order for all trucks. Even if you had bought this from a private party, it still points back to the government surplus program.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quadjeeper - :jumpin:Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Academy!!! :mrgreen: :jumpin::cookoo: Glad you found a M109!!! I coordinate a few events around the Central FL area, one of them being the Sanford Parade. I hope you can get those brakes squared away soon so you can make it to the parades and static displays.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good Scott, and looks like someone has already started rehabbing the box for you too! I had my heart set on an M109 for my first MV, but opted instead for the M35 so I could crew cab her then build a custom camper.

As for the braking, does it get any better if you pump the pedal at all? Have you bled everything using a power bleeder? If not, I'd get that rear line replaced, bleed everything out really good and go from there. I'd be looking on the back side of the tires to see if a wheel cylinder is possibly leaking, or maybe even breaking down one wheel at a time too to check the condition of each. It's a simple system really, but can certainly cause lots of heartache.
I'll be getting into the brakes in a few weeks. Have pulled the airpack twice now and checked, NPF. Bled out well, pumping makes no difference. Have no boost. No leaks found. Will be repairing rear line soon. Also rebuilding wheel cyls. so I know their condition and to clean out the DOT 3.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When do you want some help with the brakes? Plenty of us around to help. Just need an address.
Will be several weeks before serious time/cash available. May go ahead and get an airpack rebuild kit and go from there. Thanks for the offer, hate to see you drive up from Lakeland. Should be able to figure it out sooner or later. No rush on my part.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow!!!!!!!!!! So you drove a truck this size on the highway 146 miles knowing it didn't have brakes. You do realize that had you been involved in an accident and killed someone, your actions could have brought this hobby into a negative light. As a result the government could have changed its policy on surplus vehicles and issued a demil order for all trucks. Even if you had bought this from a private party, it still points back to the government surplus program.

Was told by seller brakes were normal, that downshifting was always needed. I told him I didn't think so. I'd never driven a deuce before, so couldn't argue. Believe me, I drove VERY slowly in traffic, 2nd gear, 20 mph or less in the city. I could stop in a semi reasonable distance like that. Yes, I know something could have happened, but from what I see, this brake system is borderline anyway, being a single circuit system. I want to change that but haven't seen a good fix yet.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quadjeeper - :jumpin:Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Academy!!! :mrgreen: :jumpin::cookoo: Glad you found a M109!!! I coordinate a few events around the Central FL area, one of them being the Sanford Parade. I hope you can get those brakes squared away soon so you can make it to the parades and static displays.

Thanks, it will be awhile.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just picked up our M109a3 about 2 hours ago. How long does it take to get used to one? Suposedly has power steering. I'd hate to drive one if it didn't. Anyone know where we can find an owners manual?
Scott; we will follow your posts and see how you are doing.
Congrats on your new family member. If it is an a4 it will have power steering. a3 not stock, may have been added. Preventive and maintainance manuals avail. here on SS for download. Hope you enjoy your truck.

phil2968

I was in Sanford Monday. Winter Springs is not that far. It's fun getting together to work on this trucks, turns into a cookout and everybody shows up!

Ford Mechanic

I'll be getting into the brakes in a few weeks. Have pulled the airpack twice now and checked, NPF. Bled out well, pumping makes no difference. Have no boost. No leaks found. Will be repairing rear line soon. Also rebuilding wheel cyls. so I know their condition and to clean out the DOT 3.
Should be DOT 5 unless flushed and changed after service. That will cause the fluid to gel supposedly. Make sure you flush the system real good if you suspect DOT 3 was used, might be a good time to convert to DOT 3 it's sure alot cheaper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks