• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My "new" HIAB 765A is home

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well after many months of drooling over Bjorn's HIAB for his duece I finally got one of my own for my deuce. It is mounted on the same International Harvester flatbed from the Navy. It of course has a tag stating it is to be installed on a M35A2C. Unfortunately this one needs and overhaul as there is potential damage to the pivot, and at least one of the rams needs to be replated. Can you say money pit. I will post more pics later.

Attachments

alphadeltaromeo

Ethan

Make sure you document, including pics, the restoration of that boom. I'm interested in one for the future as well. I have someone looking for one...for me.

[thumbzup]

TacticalTruck

Still a deal at what you paid. Before you junk the International, let me know. I have a local farmer still running one of those and he'd probably be interested in it for parts. I might be able to help you on the ram.
Jeff

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is so great Ethan!
Here is an image of mine as found back in 1993, 1968 model Navy Loadstar with military tags on the 765A HIAB crane. Also from Virginia.

Mine is serial No 17, what's yours?

A couple of things, the carburator has a special throttle attachement so that the rpm is governed while using the crane.
Another note, the brake lines were rusted thru in several places having been used near the salty ocean, I guess.
The 765 is similar to model 850 if you are looking for info.

Attachments

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
This thing is kicking my butt big time. I was up to 6am this morning on a marathon session pulling off of that IH truck. Round two is about to start after lunch. Unfortunately this turned into a solo job. There was a dead cat sized thing that had a nest in the center boom.

The IH truck is not getting any love from me. I might technically be a MV, but it is mess. The cab externally looks ok, but it is hiding lots of rust on everything. Everything that is not rusted is beaten badly, or if wood rotten and broken. Tires are toast. It sat for 5, 10, or 20 years depending on which source I talked to at the shop it came out of. With luck some of its parts will go to helping keep others alive, but I was happy to leave ownership with the guy who I bought it from, as I don't want to deal with it.

Bjorn I think that this is unit 020. The tag is mostly bleached out, and then it looked like someone might have tried to clean it with solvent. It is the tag directly above the "only install on a M35A3C" tag.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well here are some pics. I will have more pics of the HIAB as it was on the IH later as I need to resize them all first. These pics start with my second marathon HIAB removal session. The first session where I removed the boom was all after dark, so I did not bother to try and take any pics. Just imagine sketchy rigging with me being constantly worried about jumping out of the way.

It turns out that the center pivot appears to have been damaged by water freezing inside of the housing. This burst out the top of the housing in a rather dramatic fashion. It also bowed out the front of the housing. A new piece of metal will have to be welded in with some improvements made to the seal. What I am worried about though is the condition of the rams as they were exposed to water for some time for this to have happened.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next big question. What truck will this be mounted upon? After using Bjorns here at my house, it's an incredibly useful tool. I love my wreccker but the k-boom sure has alot more uses.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rod is ugly. Don't know if it can be ground and replated, but with those rust pits, no seal will last. You think water bent the steel over that far? Almost looks like something got caught in there, and then water got in.

Does anyone have pics of these installed from the military on the M35?

Dennis

superburban

I have been looking for an M35A2 just for the purpose of installing a 765. I have loved cranetruck's crane-truck ever since I saw pics of it here. Now I have a few questions to you guys who have put together (or are puting together) a truck like this:

1. Is there a specific model number for the cargo bed to be used in this configuration?
2. Is there a specific model nuimber for the IH that these seem to show up on?
3. How many inches of frame space does the 765 take up (meaning how many inches of bed does it displace)?
4. How much longer is the M36 than an M35?

My train of thought is that I could use a full-sized M35 cargo box and install a 765 as the cherry on top!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks