• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My "new" HIAB 765A is home

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I find it interesting that the data plate says that the HIAB crane is ONLY to be installed on an M35A2C and both Ethan's and Bjorn's were found on a different type of truck! Way to follow the rulebook... I suppose you guys might not have found them, though, if they had been installed on the proper truck.

I agree that I don't think ice caused all of that damage. I would have thought ice might have split the steel, but not shattered it that way. I'm not a structural engineer, though. Maybe, Bjorn can wear that hat, too! :D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know what I find odd. These were both mounted on 1968 IH trucks. If they were installed when the trucks were new, that would date to 68. The sticker says to be installed on the M35A2C. That might be a little early for the dropside trucks.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thankfully I will have lots of time to contemplate which type of Deuce or 5 ton to install this on. Bjorn's setup with the pipe bed is very nice, but there are many choices that will work equaly well. Maybe a shortened M35A2C so that it is 9' or one boxed section shorter would work. I also like the idea of starting with a M35 cargo and turning it into a tractor thus leaving enough extra room to place the HIAB by the cab unlike if I just started with the shorter tractor version. Then I have also thought of an M36. Chop the the bed in about half, shorten the frame a few feet, and place the HIAB by the cab. This getting a full bed deuce cargo with the HIAB. A 5 ton with a M35 bed would work I think.

It was originally mounted on a 1968 International Havester Loadstar 1600 that is ex-Navy. I found a few more tags on the HIAB. The HIAB was made in 1975 which makes it being made for the C bed make sense. The IH tag shows that it was a crane truck though, so maybe they upgraded the cranes with the 765A HIAB. I am thinking that these being mounted on IH trucks may be a local Virginia Naval yard thing as Bjorn's truck was found near the Naval base in Virginia, and my truck was also found in central Virginia at a state mental hopital. DDoyle said that he has only seen one mounted on a M35, and he thought it was a unit modification. I think he said they just slid the bed back.

I should point out that BFR actually found this HIAB. I had inspected it for him, but with the project it would be to repair plus the junky truck causing problems to haul it back to GA he passed it up. I was happy to jump in though as I was only 7 miles away. The truck is a scary tow as it does not track very well at all which is made worse by the horrible towbar angle due the trucks low bumper.

I can't be sure about the ice, but I am sure it was part of it. The bulging all around is a good indication. Perhaps it was pushed up on the back there as a combination of the unmovable linear gear, and the stress of the pressed lip around the opening. Also maybe they pried it out of the way a bit after to make clearances. I personally think it was only water though, and I doubt there is any way to really know. Bjorn keep an eye on that seal. I wonder if this might be the reason that the new HEMMIT cranes apprear to have an open pivot gear.

The ebay listing is #280152802141, and it has a few more pics.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280152802141&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My HIAB is a 1975 and serial number 017. The other tags appear to be the same, one very faded had the Naval TM's listed. I'll dig up images of tags and crane deatils if needed.
The housing below the pedestal does have a slight bulge to it on my crane as well and I have to drain water from it a couple of times a year. It's normally filled with oil. If not checked, as the water accumulates, it pushes the oil out thru the "seal" on top.

About the damage on Ethan's housing, perhaps ice did push the metal up enough for the pedestal to catch it and rip it as it was turned.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need Hiab parts? Try www.transporttech.net This guy is local down here and does nothing but knucklebooms. He imports many used cranes for rebuild or sale as is. I've spoke with him and I believe Bjorn knows him too. I can check stuff out for you too.

rizzo

I was told that it is better to make a new rod than re-coat one. sometimes it won't stick and if that happens your screwed.

be sure to check the bushings that the rod rides on. if they are wore your packing/seal job won't last

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am a little surprised to hear that replating won't stick sometimes as it is a chemical process unless they are refering to problems with used parts having oil and dirt residue that can cause incomplete coverage. At least that one ram is way beyond plating though. The rust is obviously too deep. I looked at the rod and it appears that the end screws onto the rod which makes me think that replacing the rod is the way to go if one can be found. All seals will of course be replaced at that time. This appears to have rusted after it was left open for an extended amount of time up until I got it, so I doubt there is damage inside. Kenny thanks for the link to tansporttech. I had seen them on ebay where they have a set of outriggers for my unit.

I think I am mistaken on the serial number as the HIAB tag says it is serial 1355 as in the pic. I don't know what that other tag showing 020 is about as it it so faded. Does anyone know what transmission is on this truck? I have been searching, and it appears to have been either a 4 or 5 speed manual. The knob it missing, so I can't tell. I ran across on reference to some of them using a NP435 4 speed. Anyone know anything about that PTO too? I don't suppose I would get lucky and it would fit the deuce tranny. I need to get the info off that tag tomorrow.

With the extent of this rebuild the boom upright will be getting a metal skirt around the base in an effort to keep water from getting into the pivot along with a new seel. I plan to hit up HIAB for any suggestions they might have too.

Attachments