• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My "new" M185A3

TedG

I just picked up another new ride! 198? M185A3 shop van. Low mileage and low hours and was only 30 minutes away! :D Very good condition and she only needs a few little things to make her top notch. If all goes well, this will be at the Clare Show and will be used as my camper! :D :D :D

Enjoy the pictures!

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
To be honest, the best use of space is to pack a cot as your bed. Then you have room in the back to "use" the truck, as a truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ooof, the ultimate shop van. An M185A3 w/w and its a seabees truck. I love shopvans w/w and the Seabees just makes it better. I WANT ONE!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck! Haven't seen a shopvan with winch before. What's the difference between M109's and M185's?

TedG

Thanks guys, it is a nice truck, that is for sure and I like it! Since I am in the middle of a hmmwv project build, I will not be painting or turning too many wrenches on this anytime soon...I will just get it up to being road worthy and safe. Needs front tires, e-brake needs adjusting, needs outside passenger door handle, 3-way light switch and front lhs window frame (all in stock!). Then off to Clare, MI she goes.

Axels are dated 1988 and the warranty plaque is also dated 1988. I am told it was Air Force, then Army/Seabees. 3900miles and 180hours. Starts on first crank, shifts like a dream and brakes very good.

Differences between M109 and M185 needs to be explained by others....Mr. Doyle?

Kenny, pm me if really gotta have it...lol!

Regards,

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the TM;

1-22. INSTRUMENT REPAIR SHOP TRUCK, WO/W AND
W/W: M185A3
a. Purpose of the Vehicle. The M185A3 instrument repair shop truck has the
same basic purpose as the M109A3 shop van truck, except that special equipment
included with the vehicle make it more suitable for extensive field repairs.
b. Special Limitations. The height of the M185A3 instrument repair shop truck is
not reducible.

Also note that the M185 doesn't have the 2320 prefix on the NSN, it's 4940 IIRC becuase its a maintenance piece.

Rattlehead

Looks great Ted! You should bring it up to the fall trail ride this year! Off road in it, or tow something along and just use it for the camper.

TedG

Correct Kenny. The number on the plate is 4940-00-077-1639. I am now getting the manuals prior to wrench turning.

Thanks David! I am planning on using it as a FBO and tow my hmmwv or M37 for trail rides.

Regards,

Attachments

TedG

Kenny,

Ida34 (Chuck) told me to look for that when I was viewing it and I about crapped my pants when I saw it. I like the knowledge of the SS members...way big help you guys! Thanks everyone.

Regards,

ida34

It has a two chamber master cylinder then two separate air packs so if one brake line fails you still have half your system. Usually they are split with one side going to the front and one to the rear.

Ted,
Seabees are Navy. Army has construction battalions but they are not Seabees.

Sweet truck. Can't wait to see it. I think you got a hell of a deal and much better than the "other one". :wink:

TedG

Thanks Chuck! Much better than the other! The brake system is very nice to say the least. I posted Army/Seabees because of this extra door plaque (see picture). Bumper is U.S.N.

Regards,

Attachments

citizensoldier

AWSOME!!! Nice find Ted! It has all the bells and whistles thats for sure! Cant wait to check it out.. Your moving up next step is the M816.. :p :D
Dont park that gem to close to my old rag rust buckets please.. Very nice truck and I cant wait to see it either..

TedG

HI LANE!
Thanks for the comp! M816 is next! In fact I could use one now to load a semi with my mog plow!

regards

ida34

Ok. You meant Army/Seabees. Cool. I would be interested to see how the van body got on the truck or if it came like that. It would seem to have went through a lot of hands in just a few years. Are there any dates on the Corp of Engineers data plate?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, if anyone knows the Seabees, they are enterprising and pretty good scroungers. There is a possibility that they obtained this truck from a boneyard or traded something for it from some desperate soldiers. Even if it were obtained from the midnite auto lot, it's still gov't property and so were they. They also end up with lots of leftovers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks