• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M923 A1

Rkrug

Got all the parts drawn up in cad and cut out on the table, all 1/2" plate. Then fitted up the outrigger mounts and tacked in place, drilled the holes then removed and welded in the gussets that I hand cut with the torch. there will be 20 5/8" grade 8 bolts holding the out riggers. Hoping to get the crane set on and mounted up tomorrow.
8f2da1c2eaf0e49.jpg44b869db487e107.jpg51c4dcfde735a8c.jpg64f5255083ed78e.jpg8a2fc1445526e2f.jpg1f7dcde77744a66.jpg

Last edited:

Rkrug

Still spitting up rust from all the welding and there will be a lot more tomorrow. Grade five bolt pictured here is temporary, there will be 8 3/4" grade 8 bolts holding the outriggers to my brackets.
f545517510413ab.jpgaf6a5d3826604d0.jpg76ff78f1b86f12d.jpg

Last edited:

Rkrug

Well did not get the crane on today, uncle got held up and was not able to let me in the shop to use the crane to set it on the truck, shotting for next Friday when they are closed to go in and get it set on. I did get the fuel tank mounted back up and did some cross member modifications to accommodate the crane.

Rkrug

Cards were not in my favor tonight, got everything together and headed out to my uncles shop. First chore was trying to find a good way to rig the crane, there is no good lift point on it to get it to lift straight, took quite a few different tries to find a setup that worked. Once we got it rigged up. We lifted it up and set it on the truck but unforeseen clearance issues were coming up. Mainly the spool control valve bank is going to need to get movedaua along with one cross member which I had previously notched out thinking this would give me enough clearance. More things than I had time to mess with at the time as it was getting late so we loaded everything back up and headed home. Once I get the said problems resolved It should fit pretty good. Oh, and also got to play around with some cool bridge cranes!
3996b42cb4b3d70.jpg145c1838e37a6cf.jpga94688082860153.jpg
I'll get some pictures of the crane lifted up in position.

Attachments

srodocker

I think your uncle needs a bigger shop and cranes! hahahah. Is that one of those hemett cranes going on your truck? Was wonder how easy it would to put one of those on.

Rkrug

Yes, it's a hemett crane, its a little harder than mounting say a HIAB crane which are more universal in the way they mount, all new brackets had to be made, but it should be worth it when its all done. Don't tell him that he'll build a bigger one! This is just one end of his newest manufacturing line building, close to a 1/4 of a mile long. At the other end there are two 40 ton bridge cranes, sure would make rotating the tires on the truck easy!

Last edited:

randygk

Yes they are heavy, we used to install them in boats. I had a marine electronics store and became a dealer for Trojan batteries. They gave us a 8D dummy with part of the side cut away to show construction for the show room display. It was on the floor with the cut away part against the wall and one of our larger huskier customers came in and bragged about lifting them with no problem. He just about threw his back out and the battery through the ceiling.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the new truck Rkrug! I got my 939 series truck from Glen also he is a great fellow to work with! As far as the batts go my truck had what looked like 4 brand new batteries in it when I got the truck and they worked fine for about 2 weeks then problems started happening, I finally did a load test on the batteries and 3 out of the 4 failed, when I pulled the 4 out and looked at the dates I found the batts were 6 years old, looks can sure be deceiving! I replaced all 4 with 2 brand new 6TLs and they have done great for the last 3 years! The truck looks great, learn a whole lot and have fun, they are great trucks!
Karl

71DeuceAK

It's my understanding that there's two different types/versions of 8Ds, the deep cycle version and the high cranking amps version, and each version doesn't hold up well in the other application. I live off grid and three 8Ds power my house fine for what it is, of course being conservative but will run a refrigerator overnight just fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks