• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New Project - 1942 Ford GPW

Another Ahab

Today was spent putting the final paint on the bell housing, parking brake parts and axle tube clamps. Then I disassembled the T84 transmission and inspected each part since I did see evidence of water penetration. Finally tally showes an order for $305 in tranny parts will get the job done. Still cheaper that a $950 rebuild. :(

Here are some pictures:

View attachment 578209
No kidding, TWM, your shop is SO clean, it looks like you're working in a Clean Room or a Hospital Operating Room or something.

Got to start calling you Doctor "T".

Hoefler

Well, now your project is all 6 Sigma'd up and winning the Steel Soldiers quality Award! Nice workmanship and attention to detail. Nice clean shop to-I wouldn't mind having my appendix taken out in.
Keep up the good work.
Pete

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Today was spent putting the final paint on the bell housing, parking brake parts and axle tube clamps. Then I disassembled the T84 transmission and inspected each part since I did see evidence of water penetration. Finally tally showes an order for $305 in tranny parts will get the job done. Still cheaper that a $950 rebuild. :(

Here are some pictures:

View attachment 578203 View attachment 578204 View attachment 578205 View attachment 578206 View attachment 578207 View attachment 578208 View attachment 578209
Your method (laying out the parts and labeling them) is so much better than mine...(throwing everything in a box and hoping it's still there when I need it):shrugs:

I'm gonna say this. I don't think a better or more complete restoration has or will ever be done.:not worthy:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It truly amazes me that Ford stamped his mark on virtually every part on the GPW Jeep. I am fortunate that my vehicle has most of the original and stamped parts but to show you the extent of this, I am posting the first photo which is of two small clutch tube metal disks about 1/2" in diameter. Notice the script "F". The rest of the photos are a variety of tranmission and transfer case parts ready for reassembly. I am waiting on two more and I will be ready to go. The last photo is of the new brake line parts that will be installed tomorrow.

Clutch-Tubes-Pads.jpg Tranny-and-Transfer-Case-Parts.jpg More-Parts.jpg Brake-Line-Tubing.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wanted to show everyone the extent of Henry Ford's desire to get the Ford mark on everything. The first photo is of two small (1/2" in diameter) clutch tube metal disks. Notice the script "F" mark. This was serious to this man. The rest of the photos are of tranny and transfer case parts ready for reassembly Only waiting on two more parts. The last photo is of the new brake line tubing which will be installed tomorrow.

Clutch-Tubes-Pads.jpg Tranny-and-Transfer-Case-Parts.jpg More-Parts.jpg Brake-Line-Tubing.jpg

Another Ahab

It truly amazes me that Ford stamped his mark on virtually every part on the GPW Jeep. I am fortunate that my vehicle has most of the original and stamped parts but to show you the extent of this, I am posting the first photo which is of two small clutch tube metal disks about 1/2" in diameter. Notice the script "F".
View attachment 580219
I ran a few searches through Google, but no luck.

It seems to be more than just a copyright mark; almost like it was a matter of pride or something.

There has to be a good story behind the stamping practice, and I'll try a few other leads for the explanation.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
....seems to be more than just a copyright mark; almost like it was a matter of pride or something.
I made lots of things to go into places never to be seen again and did strive to put my mark on the stuff I made. It means that with everything taken into consideration it was the best that could be done at the time. Most of my stuff was in ships and subs and in the now torn down powerplants steam and jet engines. It is OK. Maybe one day Zout or others will find something and look into the marks on it because that part of it still works.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I ran a few searches through Google, but no luck.
It seems to be more than just a copyright mark; almost like it was a matter of pride or something.
There has to be a good story behind the stamping practice, and I'll try a few other leads for the explanation.
OK...here's the story I heard/read/made up. On the GP's Good ole Henry actually had "FORD" in script letters embossed on the rear panels of his jeeps but the government wanted the GPW (Ford) and the MB (Willys) to be identical with 100% of the parts interchangeable and no trademark name on the jeeps.

Yes, Henry was proud of his jeeps and believed the quality to be above that of the Willys MB and he had nearly every single part embossed/stamped with the "Script F". That way if a part failed they would know if it was a Ford or Willy's issue.

Another Ahab

I made lots of things to go into places never to be seen again and did strive to put my mark on the stuff I made. It means that with everything taken into consideration it was the best that could be done at the time. Most of my stuff was in ships and subs and in the now torn down powerplants steam and jet engines. It is OK. Maybe one day Zout or others will find something and look into the marks on it because that part of it still works.
You bet; and I get it, absolutely.

Real short story:

- I used to work with another carpenter (we covered it all: framing, finishing, flooring, even some roofing).

- He owned a little plug-in branding iron that he used to mark the inside of cabinets that we built, with his "brand".

- Well one day he burned the Living S--- out of his hand on the thing and kicked it into about 100 pieces (in his fit of temporary insanity and rage).

That was the last time he ever branded anything again. It was sort of funny (to me; NOT him). The End.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks