• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New Project - 1942 Ford GPW

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the transmission and transfer case mated to the bell housing and installed on the engine. Completely new clutch system and transmission and transfer case overhaul. Here are some pics.

Tranny-and-Transfer-Case-Installed.jpg Engine-install.jpg

Another Ahab

Falling asleep for an update. Did the Atomic time clock stop without my knowledge ????
It did, and while you were napping Trump finished his two Presidential terms, opened a resort on Mars, sold Iran to the Chinese, bought Russia and made it a golf course, and the lawyers are still making hay off the whole VW thing. Other than that, you haven't missed much. :mrgreen:

rip.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Crawled out to the shop today to work on the GPW in the hopes of satisfying a restless crowd of followers. Installed the oil pump and distributor and made preliminary adjustment until I fire her up. Then installed the valve cover and vent tube and the bonding straps on the engine and transmission. Those are for show. The manifolds are planned for tomorrow.

Oil-Pump.jpg Distributor.jpg Valve-Cover.jpg Engine-Bonding-Strap.jpg Tranny-Bonding-Strap.jpg

Another Ahab

Crawled out to the shop today to work on the GPW in the hopes of satisfying a restless crowd of followers. Installed the oil pump and distributor and made preliminary adjustment until I fire her up.

View attachment 586920
Looking at your most excellent documentation of a most excellent re-build, TWM, and I feel like I'm walking through a world famous art gallery (the Louvre, the Hermitage, or something) and seeing great works of art by all the Masters. And you just throw it all out there like it's nothing special; unbelievable.

:not worthy:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back to work after the Rally and the always present "Honey Do's" Now that the rolling chassis is done I have to start on my least favorite thing. Yes it is restoration of the body or tub and it is called in Jeep lingo. My problems are made more difficult because Bubba felt the need to butcher the rear tub panel and install a tailgate. At the same time he cut right through the Ford script stamping. Fortunately I was able to get a reproduction panel with the script.

After spending two day locating and drilling many, many spot welds I was able to remove the remnants of the panel and make the necessary adjustments to install the replacement panel. The panel in now attached but I must replace the rear floor section before I can begin final adjustments and weld in the panel. Here are some pics.

Bubba-Panel.jpg Reproduction-Panel.jpg Replacement-Panel.jpg Tub-View.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My next project is convincing Kent to just let me drop it off (whatever IT is) at his place and pick it up when it's done. That'd be a whole lot less stressful. Don't worry, all of my projects are common things that you can just go down to NAPA and find parts for.

Last edited:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are several vendors for these parts. I use a company called Ron Fitzpatrick Jeep Parts. Most of these reproduction fabrications are done by a company in the Phillipines called MD Juan. Does pretty decent stuff and the availability makes things much easier. When I did my WC51 I had to do all the fabrication myself and it really slowed things down unless you are the superhero named Zout!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday and today targeted repair or replacement of several of the rear parts of the main tub. These included the rear storage boxes and a major portion of the rear floor. I sandblasted the areas to be worked and welded. First was to repair several areas at the top of the storage compartments. It was a little trickey since there were several curves so I had to do some major cut, bend and weld work. Once that was done I removed the bad portion of the rear floor (which turned out to be most of it) and fabricated a replacement floor pan from 20 gauge steel.

The floor was fitted and positioned with butt welding clamps and then I stich welded the panel. It requires spacing the tack welds so that the metal does not warp. Then going back and tacking the spaces in between. It is now tack welded about 1/4 inches apart. I will fill in the rest tomorrow and grind it down in prep for for filler work. It is a slow go. Then it is on to the some areas in need of repair on the front of the tub floor.

Here are some pictures:Storage-Box-1.jpgStorage-Box-2.jpgStorage-Box-3.jpgStorage-Box-4.jpgStorage-Box-5.jpgPre-Weld.jpgButt-Clamps-1.jpgButt-Clamps-2.jpgButt-Clamps-3.jpgStich-Weld-2.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks