• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Turbocharging 6.2 diesel of m1008.

als804

Exhaust Pipe

chinese copy hx35w turbine outlet flange has 2.5inch so i had to make my own flange for 3inch down pipe. u can use but bolt holes need more bigger bored. i used 3 inch 304 Stainless pipe of Downpipe. and there is no space at where stock-down pipe goes down due to Crossover pipe so i had to cut the covers with plasma cutter
initially i used direct 3 inch pipe but it seriously louds i can't do windows down due to noise. at Rpm range more than about 2400rpm the engine screams severely so i installed The Resonator at the End of downpipe. it made it quieter a lot. and still quick spool and intake whistle sounds a lot

1629089233916.png
IMG_6135.jpg
IMG_7868.jpg
IMG_7869.jpg

Attachments

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice work! I'd keep the PSI a bit lower tough.

I recently installed a turbo spool stick from Leroy on my 98 K1500 6.5 and after lots of Googling and reading forums, I concluded that max 8 PSI is a safe pressure for a stock engine. It may peak to 10, but for a very short time. OBD2 trucks will go into limp mode if pressure above 8 PSI is sustained for 5 seconds or more. Might want to keep it 1 or 2 PSI lower for an older 6.2. Right now I have mine set around 6.5 to 7.2 psi. Towing about 15000 lbs it did not go over 7.2 psi.
Just received an e-mail, my HX35Ws should be delivered today. :D I'm still looking for a turbine outlet flange. Doesn't it require a pocket machined into it like in the picture below?

61cCeOg136L._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used the given measurements and they're pretty spot on. I used my cutter to cut the shape from paper so I can match things up. Only the bolt holes next to the wastegate seem to be about 1mm to 2mm off.

IMG_20210820_072128.jpg flange.JPG

Did you use a gasket on the flange? If I'm having this cut from steel, I can have one cut from a sheet of copper as well to use as a gasket?

a factory Hx35w downpipe flange is just flat in that area FYI.
Any idea why a lot of the aftermarkets have the machined pocket? I guess it would allow the wastegate to open up further, does that have any benefits?

Ilikemtb999

I used the given measurements and they're pretty spot on. I used my cutter to cut the shape from paper so I can match things up. Only the bolt holes next to the wastegate seem to be about 1mm to 2mm off.

View attachment 842897 View attachment 842898

Did you use a gasket on the flange? If I'm having this cut from steel, I can have one cut from a sheet of copper as well to use as a gasket?

Any idea why a lot of the aftermarkets have the machined pocket? I guess it would allow the wastegate to open up further, does that have any benefits?
That would be my guess but I’ve been around enough internally wastegated turbos and there’s plenty of aftermarket downpipe companies that just use a flat plate. We’ve got a pretty mundane engine setup so I doubt it makes a bit of difference.

here’s my spare hx35w and how far the wastegate opens with regard to the adapter
31AC7C9A-C267-4678-95C9-34B6646B6069.jpeg

Keith_J

actually at that time, i thought this blue circle part seems to be a kind of 'restriction' . that'why i made a box !

View attachment 841569
Split plane intake manifold is for normally aspirated tuning to enhance flow above 3400 RPM. It won't restrict flow with a turbo. What restricts flow in any system are abrupt changes in flow area, even small to large area changes. Air has mass so when the area of flow becomes larger, the air loses momentum as it slows down. This is a bad thing..

als804

Split plane intake manifold is for normally aspirated tuning to enhance flow above 3400 RPM. It won't restrict flow with a turbo. What restricts flow in any system are abrupt changes in flow area, even small to large area changes. Air has mass so when the area of flow becomes larger, the air loses momentum as it slows down. This is a bad thing..
Oh! Thansk. Abrupt pressure change in my box design intake could be made. I will consider changing of intake.
Goood idea

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks