• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mysterious Oil Leak

Hey Fellas!
Well just finished an oil change on my Deuce about a week ago but today was the first time I had a chance to really take her for a ride.
After the change I ran her for a bit to check for any leaks as well as drops in oil pressure, there were none that I could see (although it was hard to tell around the gaskets of the filters because there was still old oil around the rims).
Today I drove into the parking lot of my shop and saw a trail of rainbow puddles behind me (it was raining and wet outside). I immediately checked under the truck and saw a near constant dripping of oil coming from the front axle (the entire left side of the housing was covered as well as my IP and winch PTO shaft.
I drove it over to the door of my shop and shut it down. I then tried tightening the filter housing bolts to see if I had just not given them enough torque, they didn't move much and seemed very snug.
Next I ran the truck through a range of RPM's and watched for oil coming from the filter can bases, there was none that I could tell (but again, there was a small ring of residue around the base from the oil change I assume, that did not appear to be getting any bigger or dripping).
I had to get home so I got her back to my driveway and took another look, there was a lot of oil on my IP, winch PTO shaft, steering box and front axle housing.

I just got inside from trying again to determine where the leak is coming from but have been unable to find it even after running it up at high RPM for nearly 5mins. It seems only to leak badly after driving for any ammount of time. I am going to check the gaskets on the filters this week (they are the correct NAPA filter gaskets that came with the filters).
Is there any other place I should be looking? Could it be a seal in the IP or something?
Thanks in advance! -GM

Jimma

The only thing I could think of right off would be the filter cans not sitting or sealing down correctly. I had a similar problem once but not a terrible leak. I went out after it sat overnight and drained back down sufficiently, loosened the bolts and removed and inspected the cans. They gaskets were not perfectly seating down and allowed leaks. I checked and adjusted them, carefully put things back together and tightened everything down. No leaks this time.

Woodsplinter

If you used the Napa 1133 filter you need to use the Napa 5119 gasket. I don't believe the gasket that comes with the 1133 filter works for the A2 deuce.

Goose2448

I would take a pressure washer, hot water one preferably, and clean the entire engine compartment. That way its easier to determine where the leak is coming from. Its probably just the can not seating right like was said. I prefer canister filters, but they can be a pain sometimes.

The only thing I could think of right off would be the filter cans not sitting or sealing down correctly. I had a similar problem once but not a terrible leak. I went out after it sat overnight and drained back down sufficiently, loosened the bolts and removed and inspected the cans. They gaskets were not perfectly seating down and allowed leaks. I checked and adjusted them, carefully put things back together and tightened everything down. No leaks this time.
If you used the Napa 1133 filter you need to use the Napa 5119 gasket. I don't believe the gasket that comes with the 1133 filter works for the A2 deuce.
I would take a pressure washer, hot water one preferably, and clean the entire engine compartment. That way its easier to determine where the leak is coming from. Its probably just the can not seating right like was said. I prefer canister filters, but they can be a pain sometimes.
Thought the gasket that came with the 1133 was correct, I suppose a leak would make sense then if it isn't. I will pick up the new gaskets and re-seat the cans sometime this week. That's a good idea to use the pressure washer, I will wash it down before I run it again.
Thanks guys!

Motorcar

Had a similar issue, found the back side of the air compressor base gasket was leaking next to the filter cans. Made it appear as if the cans were the problem but it only showed when I would do highway driving.

onegmjack

I used the gasket that came with NAPA 1133 filter.Have not lost a lot of oil but seems like it is wet around the can.Will have to get two 5119 gaskets.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks