• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NAPA part numbers for WMO filter set up.

Kaiserjeeps

Cool! I am starting to get some ideas. In the interest of safety. Last night I ordered a thermal snap switch. I am going to hook up the H20 element in a small tank and control it with a snap switch. Normally closed it opens at 200 and closes the circuit at 185. It was 9 bucks and a lot less than what it would cost if I burn something down from attending short attention span theater...:mrgreen:

A metal container with a tapered bottom with a drain would be cool. I hope my new generator will power my TIG welder. I have some welding to do.

There is just something very satisfying about building stuff that you don't need to. :D

Kaiserjeeps

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
HAHA thats funny right there. Still dating cougars? Is liz going to kill me? I feel the same way about the heating element. Its almost like we are getting an automated filtering system.

Kaiserjeeps

Ha ha! Liz is right here and you're OK for now. :mrgreen: Only 4 years difference this time. I know sorry to disappoint you.:p

I wish stores were open today. I want to get some components for this filter skid. I am currently still undecided on bags or spin on's. I won't be doing a ton of oil. And I am considering potential spillage or how messy to cleanup or change filters. It seems if it can be spilled I will find a way.:D Thats what kicked all this off for me.
I'll sneak a Merry Christmas in here for all.

Kaiserjeeps

I have a couple questions on seperating water from oil. From what I am reading heating up oil and letting it sit will bring out water suspended in the oil. How long does it take to extract the water? Is it the COOLING process that brings it out? I am refering to water in suspension, not free standing water. I am putting a 200 degree snap switch on the heating element. Is 200 hot enough?
The answer will affect my filter assembly build. Parts are showing up. It's like Christmas around here.:razz:

Kaiserjeeps

Thanks. I spent more time in a napa book and online trying to square away info to post last night. I'll read that thread more when I get back from Napa.
I received my snap switches. Nice. I am going to suspend a candy thermometer along with all the other stuff. Off to Napa for post Christmas goodies.

I met a guy at Napa when I was in yesterday. He asked what I was building. After about 20 minutes of learning a lot about centrifuges and getting a great link, I decided to go spin on over bags and a centirfuge because of my lack of shop right now. Here is a good link for centrifuges. I suspect this is old news to this crowd. I want to get one later when I have dedicated space to use.

http://www.simplecentrifuge.com/

Off to Napa.

Kaiserjeeps

quick question. if you put those construction lights on the stand pointing at the bottom of a tote or barrel would it get hot enough?
If you are refering to halogens, stay away from them. One of my 4x4 club buds burned down his nice XJ and part of his shop heating some fiberglass work in cold weather. He went in to make a sandwich while the FB cured and a neighbor called to ask if he was burning something. he was, it was a total loss.

RANDYDIRT

Not to be a wet rag here, but I just read about the snap switch you are intending using. Quoted from Amazon: "Snapdisc thermal control closes on temperature rise: Close 200°F Open 185°F". This would appear to me to be for a cooling application instead of a heating operation. If it closes at 200 it will not do what you want. Switches of this configuration are used for situations like turning exhaust or heater fans off and on. Basically it will power on when the temp reaches 200 and then turn off when it cools to 185... Boy that's about as clear as mud...
Hope that helps.

Dirt

Kaiserjeeps

Son ofa .... You are right. It was a late night find after hours of mind numbing searching. Hope Gimp didn't order them.
So I suppose you could use it to activate a solenoid to dump the oil to the filters once it gets hot. I think thats to hot though. keep it simple.

Thanks Dirt. Back to the manufacturer for the opposite. I'll post it.

RANDYDIRT

We use these type of switches as an emergency shutdown on ultra-violet light curing systems. I am now curious as to what temps ours works at. The ones I am referring to would do the trick if they are within the right temp range. KJ, and Gimp keep me up on what becomes of this please, as I may have an outlet for what we need. I just won't know about the temp range until after I go back to work on the 3rd.

Dirt

Kaiserjeeps

Well good. Here is a manufacturer link to a good unit. The drop down list has the right one.
OPEN on rise.
2511L002 |

200 L-454 This one is good for 25 Amps at 250VAC. It should be a suitable unit. Thanks Dirt.

I am looking into different ways to heat the oil. Has anybody ever used an open flame burner under a tank? It is a bunch of work to get 220 where this will be. I need my shop finished.

'48Chevy6

Well good. .. .. ..

I am looking into different ways to heat the oil. Has anybody ever used an open flame burner under a tank? It is a bunch of work to get 220 where this will be. I need my shop finished.
A plain old water heater element designed for 220 works just fine when wired to 110V if that is all you have on location.

Kaiserjeeps

I was wondering if 110 would net any decent results. I am going to have to start off with that for now. I am charging ahead on collecting parts, I have most everything. I see now after poking around in my electrical panel that getting 220 where I wanted it is another adventure. Which generated the open flame question on heating the oil. Wait till I get the snap switch to control the flame. :shock: Just kidding.

I have more info on filters and bases. I will post it when I can organize it. I have a little detour with a problematic well house. It is about to get a twelve guage for ventilation. Then I will probably need to source a lead filter to pile on top of the multitudes of new expensive garbage already taking space in there. Shiestemkofff really....

I'll see about getting the stuff posted soon.:beer: