• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NC Registration

wb1895

I am wondering about NC registration. I called the NCDMV and was told that I must register the deuce as a commercial vehicle and have weighted tags. When I told her that the deuce was over 25 years old she said it doesnt matter, that they base it off of weight and what the title says. This didnt sound right to me, because I am keeping the deuce as a personal vehicle and shouldnt it be an antique vehicle. Insurance said that I must have a seperate commercial policy, but the rates wernt too bad. (state farm) Any help from the carolina boys would be greatly appreaciated.

Last edited:

GoHot229

Just went down to Rockingham to see about the tags, it'll cost $311.00 for 20,000 lbs, you will have to call the NC.DMV inspector @ 704-547-5777 and an inspector will come to your residence and inspect the VIN # on the dash and on the frame then your ready to get a title and plate/tags. State Farm wanted someplace around $275.00 or thereabouts from me for ins. with no moving violations and being 57 years old. All this was on the first week of July 09. Lesser weight may be cheaper, but 20,000 is about right if your going to ever use it. I dont think there was much discount in price with reduction in weight because 13,500 w/o winch or 13,850 w/winch is the weight of the unit, pluss 5,000 lbs for cargo. either way your right there at 20,000lbs

wb1895

Doesnt NC have any type of discount for MV's or historical/ antique vehicles? It seems kind of dumb to have to spend $311.00 for tags on something tat wont get driven all that much!! Just curious but did the DMV say anything about that?

Chief_919

Doesnt NC have any type of discount for MV's or historical/ antique vehicles? It seems kind of dumb to have to spend $311.00 for tags on something tat wont get driven all that much!! Just curious but did the DMV say anything about that?
35 years and older qualifies for antique tags in NC.

NC DMV is a royal pain on requiring commercial tags. I had an E-350 work van and actually got pulled over, told to go through the weigh station, and got a ticket for having regular tags. Pickups, Vans, if you will be over 4000 pounds that means commercial tags, period. Only exemption is for certain farm deals.

GoHot229

Don't loose heart just yet, I'v talked to others that said it was a breeze. Now the Antique is for 1943 and below, the historical is for 35 and older, and farm, of course you gota have a farm. Farm limits to 150 miles from domicile. Historic is for parades and events and can only be used OCASSIONALLY for non events, but who would know how occassionally you are using it ???.......... mileage mabe..... You gota know NC's goin'a get their money one way or another. I dont think you can carry anything if you have historic except passengers, in other words, you couldnt make a run to Lowes for a pallet of concrete and a band of lumber and be legal if you got pulled over. too risky if you ask me. And the fine would offset the savings the historic costs.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
FLAT OUT , you have to have a weighted tag for anything in NC 10K lbs and over. ANYTHINGS else is illegal. No you do not have to have Commericial but half commericial trucks run weighted tags. So im sure people think they are commerial beacause the weighted plates are on semi's.

Noone aggrees with what they say , guys run 7 days a week on trucks and my 23,000lbs truck moves 2 times month maybe... not fair but thats the law in the great state of NC.

obxron

NCDMV told me commercial tags because of the weight an insurance policy and I'm good to go. Insurance agent quoted me $544 a year for a commercial policy, liability only and I'm the only one who can drive it.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
FLAT OUT , you have to have a weighted tag for anything in NC 10K lbs and over. ANYTHINGS else is illegal. No you do not have to have Commericial but half commericial trucks run weighted tags. So im sure people think they are commerial beacause the weighted plates are on semi's.

Noone aggrees with what they say , guys run 7 days a week on trucks and my 23,000lbs truck moves 2 times month maybe... not fair but thats the law in the great state of NC.
If it is a FLAT OUT LAW then Why did the DMV officer deliver my antique tag to my house and put it in my hand

I really wonder if THEY know whats what.

Junglemist

A couple of years ago I had my M35 registered in North Carolina. I had bought it out-of-state from an individual who had a private vehicle title for it. I called GEICO who I had my other vehicles insured with and they insured it. The guy was totally clueless. I described it accurately and gave then the VIN, which of course they could not locate in their computers!

I then went down to the tag office and registered my "Jeep Kaiser Truck". They listed it as a private vehicle with a truck body style. I told them I wanted a weighted tag for 20,000 lbs. The girl at the desk, from her expression, must have pictured me putting 20,000 lbs in the back of a Jeep Comanche.rofl

I don't live there any more and would probably have had issues with the insurance policy if I had gotten in a wreck.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
And they knew it was over 10,000 lbs Neil ? What weight does your registration say ???

I agree , every DMV is differnt And in NC we have tag offices in your town that handle plates etc. In CO I just went to a diff one in Co Springs till I got what I wanted.

Last edited:

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
And they knew it was over 10,000 lbs Neil ? What weight does your registration say ???

I agree , every DMV is differnt And in NC we have tag offices in your town that handle plates etc. In CO I just went to a diff one in Co Springs till I got what I wanted.
13000 lbs on mine . My paper work still went to Raleigh to figure out my fees. I wrote a check for $140.00 and he handed me a tag.

May be I got lucky..Still goes to show you they don`t know from area to area. It is a pain in the A$$.

Crackerjax

I will be doing mine soon here in nc I got 30 day tag on it now I want to put the max plates on her for a regular license but I havent figured out how much that would be because I have to take in to account the weight of the truck and then the load and both togeather cant be over 26k right??:roll:

wb1895

The truck weighs 13,030 pounds WO/W and 13,530 with the winch. Plus any additional weight you want to carry in the truck. At least that is what the "lady" at the DMV told me. I was dumbfounded when they told me that I had to get a tag with the weight of the truck included, Just a money racket if you ask me.aua