• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need advice. Engine may be blown

Colonel Smash

My deuce is a 1966 Kaiser non turbo. I bobbed it and a week later the motor lost oil pressure at idle, and it spews oil like crazy! Oil comes out of the dipstick, valve covers, and the rear main seal. A lot of it. It still runs and starts fine, but it seems like it is getting high pressure in the crank case.

Has anyone else had this happen? Is it the head gaskets? Or piston rings? I wish I could do a compression test.

I am wondering if I over sped the engine because the truck so much lighter and quicker.

Thanks.

rustystud

My deuce is a 1966 Kaiser non turbo. I bobbed it and a week later the motor lost oil pressure at idle, and it spews oil like crazy! Oil comes out of the dipstick, valve covers, and the rear main seal. A lot of it. It still runs and starts fine, but it seems like it is getting high pressure in the crank case.

Has anyone else had this happen? Is it the head gaskets? Or piston rings? I wish I could do a compression test.

I am wondering if I over sped the engine because the truck so much lighter and quicker.

Thanks.
Check the oil. Does it smell like diesel ? How is the oil level. Are you "making" oil ? If yes to any of these your leaking fuel into the crankcase from your injection pump. Use the search engine and you will find literally tons of posts about this.

Colonel Smash

Well I smelled the oil and it definitely has fuel in it. So the injection pump is pumping fuel into the crank case. Is this a hard fix? Do I need to replace the whole pump or is it just a seal I can change?

Thanks.

jbayer

Searh for "bypassing FDC". Most often it's the FDC where the fuel gets in the oil. Sounds like you have a lot of fuel in your oil if it's coming out the dipstick tube, and valve covers.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It might be time to pull the IP and put new seals in it. The FDC isn't the only place that will leak fuel, your fuel pump can too, there is also some O-rings that seals the hydraulic head, they can leak too.

Colonel Smash

It might be time to pull the IP and put new seals in it. The FDC isn't the only place that will leak fuel, your fuel pump can too, there is also some O-rings that seals the hydraulic head, they can leak too.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the hydraulic head? Is that part of the injection pump? Thanks

Colonel Smash

Well I bypassed my FDC. And still the same problem.

I saw a lot of smoke coming out of the valve cover vent tube. So I covered it with a rag in my hand just to see what would happen. And oil and fuel shot out of the dipstick like a gyser. There is a lot of fuel in the crank case!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sounds like its time to pull the IP and put new gaskets/seals in it.

In my opinion you have more than one issue here. One is the fuel leaking into your crankcase, the other is the pressurization of the crankcase.

Oil might be spewing out because of the oil level being too high, not sure where it is.
Also, with the oil being fuel diluted, I wouldn't run the engine more than I had to.

Colonel Smash

Sounds like its time to pull the IP and put new gaskets/seals in it.

In my opinion you have more than one issue here. One is the fuel leaking into your crankcase, the other is the pressurization of the crankcase.

Oil might be spewing out because of the oil level being too high, not sure where it is.
Also, with the oil being fuel diluted, I wouldn't run the engine more than I had to.
Yeah. I'm not planning on running it any more than I need to, but I don't want to change out all that oil until I find out what is causing it. I'll be calling around tomorrow to find a seal kit.

Thanks.