• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Help, Buying a CUCV

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys,

I need a pickup for my little surplus business. I'm putting to many miles on our F350 which is really used to pull our 5th wheel trailer. I'm selling my 2 95 EB Broncos to buy it. I'm looking at M1008, M1028 & M1028A1. I like the trucks at Alfa Heaven alot and Tom seems to be an honest and very knowledgable guy as well. I know the M1028A1 models have the NP205 tranfer case in them and are rare trucks as well.

The truck I'm looking at is an M1028A1 with 39,000 miles. Just about every time I look at his web site, one of the trucks is sold. What should I be considering when choosing which of the 3 models to buy? Any suggestions and advise you can give would be great.

The price is steep but, I don't have the time bring a truck up to the condition that Tom sells them for and would like to have one in nice condition now. He is going to throw in troop seats, bows and shelter brackets as well. Sure looks great in the pictures. I've included some pictures.

Any Pros and Cons that you could provide as well would be great!

Thanks very much for your help guys.

Take care,

Attachments

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wife is OK with it. I'm getting rid of 2 Broncos that we don't need and getting 1 truck that we do. The truck on eBay must be an after-military dually install. I thought the dually's were an M1028A3. I really don't want a dually, so far the price is alot nicer though.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'd buy that ebay dually in a heartbeat, even though I am a crewcab only man.

Also, Alfa's stuff looks FREAKIN' AWESOME! If I had the cash, I'd buy all sorts of stuff from them. Their 880's make me lightheaded....

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Clinto,

I'll bet that dually ends up alot higher when it closes, it is a beautiful truck. Alfa does have some nice 880's as well, I was considering buying the red M880 but I'm leaning toward the M1028A1. Have you seen the red M880, it's very nice. I had a 1970 Dodge D200 Camper Special in high school, I like the 77's as well. I really like the 318's in em.

Are you a mopar guy? What do you think of the red one?

Thanks,

K10A

BEWARE ! the one in that pic LOOKS like it has a 1/2 ton front axle ! stay away if you want a real one ton front axle

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much weight and what conditions will you be using it in? Lots of folks want the 205 trucks and they are a nearly bombproof transfer case. I've had a ten-o-eights before and never broke the 208 case. Neat thing about the 208 case is the lower low range. Is there any savings getting a truck with the 208?

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys,

K10A, thanks for the heads-ups, i do appreciate it. Mike is correct, I spoke with Tom (Alfa Heaven) today about this truck for about 45 minuntes and had a very detailed technical discusion about it. The truck is a true M1028A1 and does have a Dana 60 up front. I think the photos just aren't clear enough in that area.

Thanks for the input, I do have a deposit on the truck and intend to fly up and drive it to AZ in about 3 weeks.

Tom did say that with 36" tires it would do 65 - 70, with 70 being pretty darn close to the top end. I'll stay away from that. I've been looking at changing the gear ratio, but that would be very expensine, as much more than just the ring & pinion need to be changed. I'm looking at a Gear Vendors over drive, I need to look at other brands as well. Has anyone here installed an OD in there CUCV truck?

BTW, in order to get those 36's to fit up front, there is little cutting that takes place in the traditional spots. Rear fits good.

I am going to add AC to it as soon as it gets here. My plan is not near firm yet but, I will probably go with a single 24v alt on the pas side to open up the driver side for the compressor. I'll make sure to post pictures!

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Kenny,

Tom said there is a $500 premium for an A1 which among other things gets you the 205. Yah, the 208 is bulletproof as well. His 2008's are really in the same price range, so the decision is not really price based. I'll have enough money from the sale of the Bronco's to buy the truck and install the AC. I sold both Bronco's to the same person today for $12,500. I believe the 1028 has some sort of a loccker in the front as well. I do like the fact that the 1028A1 is pretty rare.

As far as use, I'll never come close to the capacity of the truck, I do get stuff in from GL in large boxes on pallets. This will carry 2 pallets (about 400 lbs each) very nicely. Other than that, I'll take it to shows and just use it to run around in.

Take care,

CCATLETT1984

Stick with the np205.
If you are looking for more highway speed, then you migh consider putting in a 700r4 trans, you can get an adapter to mate the t-case to it. They hold up fine as long as they are built to take the abuse, I think 1200 is about what I have seen them go for on ebay (new of course).

mangus580

A single 24v alternator is a bad idea, and probably wont work in a CUCV. If you want to make space, you should convert to 12v.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Mike,

What are the issues? Talking to Tom yesterday about adding AC, he sugested going to the single alt. I should have taken notes when he was explaining the procedure. I'll ask him to either write them up for me or I can take notes as he describes.

I did read the long thread a month or so ago about adding AC, did not look to be any resolution. Doesn't the ambulance have a single 200 amp alt and a compressor? Tom mentioned a couple of brand names of alt's to use, he seemed to know how to rewire as well to make the dash lights work correctly.

I really want (need) AC here in the desert. I'd reallly hate convert to 12v.

Hi CCATLETT1984,

Yah, I like the 205, I'm also a big fan TH-400, I'm looking at adding an aftermarket overdrive behind the transfercase.

mangus580

Major issue is 99% of a CUCV is actually 24v. The only things that are 24, are the starter, and the glow plugs system. This is the reason for the 2 alternators, so it can properly make 12 and 24v. The only way you can go with a single alt, and keep the 24v, would be to buy one of the new 12/24v alternators they use on the latest Humvee's. They aint cheap! Going to 12v is really simple. You just need to get a 12v starter, and do some slight rewiring. Your other option would be to just get creative with bracketry and move the one alternator to the other side, like they did in the M1010's

K10A

Converting to 12v would be the best option really . I converted my -08 it wasnt any trouble really and it isnt readily apparent that it has been converted. As for overdrive you could stick a manual trans SM465 with a Ranger overdrive in front of it is an option. Another option is to go with a 4l80E OD trans out of a later model truck .It will be really rapping out at 65-70. I have 39s on my 4wheeling truck with 4.56 gears and it runs 3K at 70. Btw those tires are bias if it matters to you , also they are 16.5 which will blow a bead at any pressure lower than 20 psi if there is a decent side load on them. Swapping gears wouldnt be super expensive. A good gear set is $150-200 and the install kit is maybe another 100 , and the labor should be more then 3-400 $. Just my opinions . Good luck with that sweet truck .- A

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Another gearing fix using a 205 would be to find a divorced 205. Install a 3053A overdrive deuce transmission infront of it. Then from what I have heard you can use a light industrial trucks bellhouseing to hook the 3053A to the engine.

I am curious how he gets his interior to look so nice. Is he replacing the seat covers, dash, and door covers? I guess he could be re-dyeing some of the better ones, but they look so nice in the pics.

I noticed that that great decal is missing on that truck saying that this truck is exempt from EPA due to national security :D