• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Help, Buying a CUCV

Desert Deuce

Hey Mike,

That makes sense. Ya know I think Tom did mention a 12/24 alt. Doing some fabrication to move the alt sounds like something I'd like to do. I guess 12v needs to be considered as well.

Hi K10A,

I do like manual trans in 4x4's (especialy ones with compound low), but I'm going to keep it auto. I actually like the fact that it has a TH-400 in it. Gear Vendors makes an overdrive that bolts up to the NP205, need a little drive shaft work. The price is a little high, from what I've read it'll give about a 22% reduction. I'm going to look for other manufacturers as well.

As far as the tires go, I'm ok with the bias ply's. There are definate down sides. I've run big bias ply's on my 4x4's in years past. I used to go through lots of Armstrong tru-tracks as we as Grand Prix's.

Take Care,

Desert Deuce

Hi Builder77,

He does put new seat covers, dash pad and door covers on where needed. He does dye them the correct color. He also installs a new floor mat with sound deadening. I don't think I'll be getting the inside to wet, but I'll have to keep an eye on the sound deadening material to make sure it doesn't retain miosture and cause rust. The interior also gets a new coat of CARC. The truck also gets new rubber & felt wipers for door glass and new wheather stripping. The chassis, axles and entire under cariage is cleaned and painted black.

The entire truck is painted in the correct NATO camo pattern with a high quality Sherwin Williams CARC. I haven't seen it in person yet but, he seems to take alot of pride in his work and insists on doing it right.

Tom is quite a guy, he has many clasic and exotic cars including some notable european race cars and even gets invited to show at pebble beach. He's taking a bunch of his trucks to a show somewhere in Wis this weekend including my truck and the red M880. That red M880 is soooo nice.

Take care,

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
On my M1009 at least it is located on that kind of flat painted black plate that the hood latch goes thru. That one little sticker is one of the barriers to blasting and repainting, and as you can see that panel needs it. Any ideas on how to remove the decal without damaging it, or getting a duplicate made? I know there are some guys out there making reproductions of the metal instruction plates.

It might be an intersting suggestion to people around here about getting some ready to go interior parts as a GB if it was profitable for him, and enough need around here?

Attachments

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well yeah since it is catagorized as a 3/4ton truck it is exempt from EPA stuff, but that sticker is great. Especially with the emissions being extended further up the duty classifications now. It would make it a lot faster if smog checks come my way, and an easy laugh when a friend pissed about having to have his emissions worked on.

alternator...

That is certainly a sweet ride...i'd buy it in a heartbeat if it was up here.
BTW... i suggest it's likely better,in your case,to convert to 12 volt.you have 2 12-v alternators already...you'd end up with a spare and a spot for the a/c pump.
Cost wise it's likely better to stick with what you've got,and buy a 12-v starter,as well as modify the glow plug system a bit.
if your set on 24-volt...you can pick up a single 24-v alternator for much less than a combo 12/24 alt.on my m-1010 i removed one alt and used a battery equalizer to split the battery bank,allowing both 12 and 24-v off the system.works very well,but somewhat expensive.(about 350 to 400 U.S. for the equalizer)
you would also have to pick up the alternator mounting brackets(like on an m-1010),as i believe the mounts for the leece-neville alternator used in the m-1010 has a larger mount than the 12-v's used in the other cucv's(the leece uses a J-180 style mount)
the reason i kept the 24-v capability was to run the additional 24-v accesories the m-1010 came with (a/c and rear heater).if you go with the external overdrive,i'm sure we'd all like to be kept in the loop...i'm bouncing back and forth between a 700-r4 and an external o/d myself...havn't gone any one way yet.

Desert Deuce

Hi Ambulancechser,

I've been researching all day. I've been looking at the Vintage Air site. I think a bracket can be fabricated to put a Vintage Air compressor above the passenger side alt. It would need to be slightly off toward the middle of the engine so you could use the same belt that drives the pas side alt. Look at the picture below, I don't think they have a bracket for the 6.2 but, one could be fabricated. Since I don't have a truck here, it's all theory. The bulk of the equipment ends up in the cab behind the dash. My goal is to keep the 24v system unmolested. The AC lines enter the cab next to the heater hoses.

I will keep everyone in the loop with regard to the AC & OD. If the bracket is viable I'll have additional ones made up.

You need to click on the download script below to see the pictures.

Take care,

Attachments

peyton

builder77 said:
On my M1009 at least it is located on that kind of flat painted black plate that the hood latch goes thru. That one little sticker is one of the barriers to blasting and repainting, and as you can see that panel needs it. Any ideas on how to remove the decal without damaging it, or getting a duplicate made? I know there are some guys out there making reproductions of the metal instruction plates.

It might be an intersting suggestion to people around here about getting some ready to go interior parts as a GB if it was profitable for him, and enough need around here?
Given a good quality photo and dimensions, It would be fairly easy to have that sticker reproduced. The kicker, of course, is how many do you want? My guess (and it is only a guess) is that you would need to sell about 40 or so at $5 each to cover costs. Would there enough interest in something like this to carry it forward as a project?

alt mounts...

the brackets from an m-1010 would likely give you everything you need...two alternator mounts,and an a/c mount.
the a/c for the rear of the m-1010 is driven off the engine.the wiring would certainly need some figuring out, as you would have to change your alt location to the passenger side of the engine,but could be made to work with little effort.
The only real challenge is rounding up a complete set of brackets ...

Desert Deuce

Ambulancechser, I thought the M1010 had 2 24v alt and aren't they larger? My point is, will the 12v alt fit in the 24v bracket. If yes, then that seems like the way to go.

Desert Deuce

Hey Mike, Yah I know, Ambulancechser is saying use the M1010 type alt mounts and move my 12v alts to them. This opens up the driver side for the compressor. It doesn't look like the 12v alts would fit in the big 24v brackets. But maybe something could be fab'd or maybe they do fit. I think my goal is to mount the compressor above pas side alt and use the same pulley's. It'll have to be set it up so there's still enough pulley surface for alt's belt.