• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help deciphering what exactly my truck is

Hey guys how are you all doing? So I'm trying to figure out what exactly my truck is. Meaning, the registration says it's a 1970 AM General M35A2C. I know it's a 2.5 ton and cargo because it has the updated version where all the sides fall down. But where I'm confused, is the VIN number is NKOECZ which when I search it is a 72 or 73 deuce. The serial number is 30316

here are pics to help
image.jpgimage.jpg

Also so some pics of the truck

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I also want to add that it has heat and works from the factory, I'm told this is extremely rare?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Please check the 2016 VIN INFO thread. This is the clearing house for these questions.

This is your registration number NKOECZ and it is actually NK0ECZ because there are not any O (Oscar) in registration or serial numbers, only 0 (zero). Same with the number 1 and there is no I (as in India).

dmetalmiki

I reckon that places your truck around 1986 or so. I will be interested to hear just what year it actually turns out to be though. And on reflection, check if it is sprag permanent or air selectable front wheel drive .
Air selectable confirms an 80.s truck.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heaters are not rare.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Just noticed it has air shift, So a 70,s truck.
Air shift transfer cases could be found in any era truck. Although the early trucks had sprags many were upgraded to air shifts later on.

The best way to find out the year would be to find the serial number stamped on the frame (typically in the driver's side front wheelwell). Just from the pics posted anything that might hint to a year/original configuration could have possibly been changed (dropside bed, transfer case, sheet metal, and data tag).

Ok thanks for the response guys. I will check out that thread. Seems to me somewhere along the line this thing was incorrectly registered. Oh well. The front axle is air operated.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The 30316 is a partial VIN. You're missing a 4 digit prefix.

Go look on the drivers side framerail, near the pitman arm. You'll likely find a number there, like 0125-30316, 0225-30316, etc.

Let us know what that is.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's a 1966-1967ish model I think. There's a thread somewhere around here which breaks down all the prefix's and what they mean.

Also from what I can see, left front (driver) bumper says "T6-54" and passenger says "A-ARN6"
there is a placard in the cab under the specs card that says it was reconditioned 1-89 at LEAD, odometer at that time was 10mi.

Did some searching, found a thread from years ago that DDoyle posted. Sent him a PM, he was saying in that thread that he stumbled across a deuce with 0125-xxxxx in the frame, but had NK0 as the reg. Which is my situation. Getting interesting now

I wouldnt doubt that man, because there is no contract # and there is nothing there where it says MFD By. Still, let's see if something comes up with bikeman's search. I just want to restore this thing to original, so I need to start by knowing exactly what it is. It also has what I've learned is called a slave receptacle, what exactly do you use that for? I see its for electrical, but is that to run accessories on the exterior of the truck?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks