• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help!! Found the leak!!

RIDDLE1

Ok so I had an oil leak on the front of the motor and ordered a new timing seal and gasket to fix the problem. Well today I pulled the front of the truck apart to replace the part an found this.

I noticed that the dampener was loose when I went to take the belts off. The bolt came out by hand after I removed the retaining plate. My question is what caused this to crack? Was it because it was loose or just broke for the **** of it? I have a buddy with a parts truck I can get one off of, I think.

Last edited:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I am going to make a W.A.G. here.

If the bolt had any play in it, when the motor was revved it could have given a little more sideways snap/yank to the balancer that it wasn't designed for.

Either that or your first guess was right, that it just broke for the **** of it. Say metal fatigue, but I would lean towards play in the pulley as a contributing factor.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a spare dampener from a parts engine if you need one.

It will fit in a flat rate box.

Memphisdoug

Just to nit pick here - it's a damper not a dampener. Dampers take away vibrations. Dampeners make things wet. Just something one of my professors once told us in class

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn't it also called a balancer? I had a local guy that had the same problem, his actually came off and messed up some other things like the cover and a gear behind it. He was able to get it back together with some used parts I had.

RIDDLE1

Well I thought I was going to finish it. Turns out this may be a two man job. I need someone under the truck to hold the bolt on the timing cover. Oh well.

Hooty481

you are the second person in a week that i have seen with this problem. Aaron had the same thing happen to him. he came and pickup a 1 peice harmonic balancer from me last week. not sure how he turn out yet though. he has a thread on it. i'll try to find it and post the link
to it.

rrrr

Well I thought I was going to finish it. Turns out this may be a two man job. I need someone under the truck to hold the bolt on the timing cover. Oh well.

Where is soldier "B" when you need'em aua

Its always a pain when you need an extra set of hands.

3dAngus

Ok so I had an oil leak on the front of the motor and ordered a new timing seal and gasket to fix the problem. Well today I pulled the front of the truck apart to replace the part an found this.

I noticed that the dampener was loose when I went to take the belts off. The bolt came out by hand after I removed the retaining plate. My question is what caused this to crack? Was it because it was loose or just broke for the **** of it? I have a buddy with a parts truck I can get one off of, I think.
Would someone be subject to putting a crowbar or prybar in there to tighten up a gen or other asset on the belt?
If so, that would explain it.

RIDDLE1

Would someone be subject to putting a crowbar or prybar in there to tighten up a gen or other asset on the belt?
If so, that would explain it.
That could be the case. I have seen people do worse. I looked the damper over and could not find any marks that would suggest it was beat on or used as a lever. Who knows?

I do know that as soon as I pick up the new one on Thursday this will be a problem of the past!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to nit pick here - it's a damper not a dampener. Dampers take away vibrations. Dampeners make things wet. Just something one of my professors once told us in class
The 361 series TM calls it,

5 PBFZZ 19207 10935278 PULLEY AND DAMPENER

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks