• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help from LA Members.....

Hi guys:

I need some assistance. Hopefully sometime in the next week or two my problems with OMV and registration will be ironed out.

With that hopefully out of the way soon, I am now turning my attention to the annual inspection.

I have seen Frodobaggins post from a while back that you do not need an inspection sticker on a former military vehicle.

I have no reason to doubt it, but I sure would love to get a copy of the regulation or statute that states this. As we all know from experience, knowledge of our states motor vehicle laws varies widely among the various agencies. Would like to be able to prove to the locals, sheriffs deputies or troopers that it is not needed, in case I get stopped.

I have tried searching the archives and I cannot find anything in print on this topic.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

LC

Last edited:

Crawdaddy

Ditto. I also heard that state inspection stickers aren't required, but I also have not found any documentation supporting that. This is the only thing I've found so far on inspection rules, and it does not have any exclusions listed for Military Vehicles:
LSP - Safety Info - Motor Vehicle Inspection Requirements for Passenger Vehicles Only

As of now, I'm going to go to my local inspection station and see if I can't get a sticker for the truck. I'm just worried about the liscence plate light and no reverse lights.

Good luck and let us know!

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have been told that non was needed but havent seen it in writing.. mhasset told me as well as kendelrio . lets hope someone chims in.. i dont have a sticker on duece or wrecker

honore j

I have a 1923 t-bucket I do have to inspect it, but do not have to put it on the windsheld.If it is a show car. but I do just not to get stoped. I put turn signals on it for my safety. It came with just on light on the back left.It is written that if it is an antique all you need in it, is what it came with. Do not need seatbelts, back up lights, or turnsignals, if it came without them. But then you have to use hand signals.I dont even have windshield wippers on it. I do not know about a military vehicle. I'll have to look in to that for I am working on a might mite m422 right now. I am looking in to getting a title for it now. I would say it would be just like an antique car, because of it's age.If it is an old one. I think 30 year's.

CatMan

Help from LA Members

It depends on what type of plates your register it under.

Here is the exemption statute

From Louisiana Statutes:​
LOUISIANA REVISED STATUTES
TITLE 32. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC REGULATION
CHAPTER 7. MOTOR VEHICLE INSPECTION
La. R.S. 32:1311 (2010)
§ 32:1311. Exemptions

B. Motor​
vehicles which are twenty-five years old or older and which are used primarily for exhibition in
shows, parades, tours, and other special uses and not for general transportation and which are registered
and licensed as antique as provided in R.S. 32:707(L) shall be exempt from the inspection requirements of
this Chapter.

Cat Man - MVPA legislative committee

Thanks, Cat Man. However, it appears that, since I am registering it as a former military vehicle, and not as an antique, then this section does not apply. I am trying to get it registered under RS 47:490.16 (C).

Any other members have any different information? Looks like I might have to get it inspected.

I will research this further.

LC

It depends on what type of plates your register it under.

Here is the exemption statute

From Louisiana Statutes:​
LOUISIANA REVISED STATUTES
TITLE 32. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC REGULATION
CHAPTER 7. MOTOR VEHICLE INSPECTION
La. R.S. 32:1311 (2010)
§ 32:1311. Exemptions

B. Motor​
vehicles which are twenty-five years old or older and which are used primarily for exhibition in
shows, parades, tours, and other special uses and not for general transportation and which are registered
and licensed as antique as provided in R.S. 32:707(L) shall be exempt from the inspection requirements of
this Chapter.

Cat Man - MVPA legislative committee

Crawdaddy

Yeah, looks like we're both in the same boat. I'm going to register with a Class B plate, and then deal with the hassle of getting it swapped over to a former military vehicle registration so I can keep driving it legally while waiting for the paperwork.

So, just out of curiousity, how do you register AND license it as an antique in La.?
3rdAngus:

I am not that familiar with the antique registration process, and the OMV website is no help. I did find a website called DMV.com which states the following for LA:

HOW TO REGISTER AN ANTIQUE OR CUSTOM BUILT VEHICLE

You will have to visit an OMV near you to register your antique or custom-built Vehicle. When registering a custom-built or antique vehicle, you will need to bring the following materials to the OMV:
  1. A completed and notarized Vehicle Application, when obtaining a title for a new, custom-built vehicle.
  2. The Certificate of Title or manufacturer's certificate of origin, for antique or custom vehicles that have already been titled.
  3. Notarized Bills of Sale for all the parts that were used.
  4. A completed and notarized affidavit to register as an antique vehicle.
  5. Proof of insurance.
  6. A physical inspection report by the Louisiana State Police Troop, along with a VIN assignment receipt for a custom-built vehicle.
  7. Current odometer reading.
Note: You can also register your antique or custom-built vehicle by mail. You need to gather all the required paperwork mentioned above and along with the appropriate fees, copy of driver license mail it to: Office of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 64886
Baton Rouge, LA 70896

I found this information on the link below:
How to Register a Custom or Antique Vehicle in Louisiana | OMV

Hope this helps.

LC

ETA: It appears very similar to how you register it as a former military vehicle. I assume (yeah, I know I shouldn't!) that by referencing the proper statute, that is how it will be registered.

Last edited:

Torres70380

From what I have been able to read... find.. and have questions answered

Title 55 Public Safety Part III Motor Vehicles Chapter 7
It starts around page 151
But the stuff we have to deal with Starts around page 161

True: B. Antique Cars. Motor vehicles which are 40 years old or older and which are used primarily for exhibition in shows, parades, tours and other special uses and not for general transportation, and which are registered and licensed as antique as provided in R.S. 32:707(L) shall be exempt from the inspection requirements of this Chapter

But for those of us not Going Antique.. Page 162

D. Every motor vehicle, trailer, semi-trailer and pole trailer registered in this state shall bear a valid safety inspection certificate issued in the state of Louisiana.

Here are a couple of things I picked out.. depends on the age of the truck mine is a 1968
1. Vehicles manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1969, must be equipped with no more than two back-up lamps.
Since I do not have back-up Lights... I was "told" but will have to test this out
" Must Operate As Originally Equipped "
I just my Registration done today.... will be mail out on Wednesday
When I went to the Local DMV she was VERY Helpful!
I had a SF-97 and a Bill of Sale, Affidavit of Inspection from the State Police
** No Insurance at this point **
Paid the Taxes and Fees and walked out with Registration in hand

Now... Tomorrow
Will get Insurance, put Numbers on Hood and Back, Take Pictures.... 1 more Affidavit of inspection" Local DMV" sugguested this... it's free !
Send copies of everything to the Special / Dealer Unit and a Money Order for ....... $36.50 !

Yes! My Local DMV called Baton Rouge and on a speaker phone explained to both of us.... $25.00 fee for Lifetime Plate and Handling Fees.
No Weights.. No Class B, No Private Truck over 6000 lbs.

Attachments

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any one ever bring a deuce into La that was previously registered in another state? I'm moving from Az and currently have a commercial tag [required for unlimited use because of the weight, per the MV folks here]. Registration and titling did not cost a lot, and was easy, once the bozo who inspected [un-necessarily] it got the VIN written down correctly.

On reading further search results, it appears that HELOBRAVO someplace in SE La has provided the requisite info in a claer and most-concise manner. A thousand thanks.

Last edited:

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, The deuce was never intended to pass a state inspection. If you attempt to have it inspected, odds are you will be told to take it to a commercial inspection place, where you WILL fail.

I have spoken to several LEOs re this and they all concur. I will have a friend of mine I grew up with who has been with the LSP for 20 years to find their official stance for me.

bjsmith

i went to local inspection station got inspection with no problem, was told if it wasnt built with it didn't require it for inspection, but also was told by lsp that didnt need inspection when registered as former military. and when they register as former military they actually do it as antique or at least they did when i went to specia plate dept to register it after my b plate was about to expire

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thankis BJ. I've registered mine as FMV and was told the same thing. I am still contacting the LSP and getting their official stance, just to remove doubt.

bjsmith

ok if you get something in writing let me know would like to get a copy to keep with me like i do for the fmv reg. just in case

honore j

I have a mighty mite that came with a title from Penn. I know it's not a duce but this is what happened. I had it changed over with no problem. Just had to pay the tax on it. And now have a La. title. But the thing is on the Penn. title it did not say mighty mite Amc. on it, it said Jeep an it is not a jeep. So I asked at the dmv if she could just put AMC on it. She said no I had to have the state police inspect it. All I needed was for him to say that the data plate said AMC on it. But no he told me he would have to inspect it. And it would not pass for I had taken the moter out. It had to be running. And that all the tag had on it was 4 number's, an it had to have 17 number's. Like a new car but he was wrong on that part. All it needs is the 4 number's it came with. So that's why I just let them put Jeep on the title. Later when I get it running I may have it changed.So I think you should have little to no problem changing the title over from Az. to La. with a good title. Good luck

Kendelrio:

I would love to know officially whether it should be inspected or not, too. I had mine inspected, it passed, so I dunno, but I sure wouldn't complain if I didn't have to get it inspected every year...................

LC

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've gone through a couple of road blocks (checking for DWIs, licenses, inspection stickers, insurance and seat belts) with my M818 that does not have an inspection sticker, and was waved through with a smile. I know it's Just a single data point, but at least two towns don't expect to see inspection stickers on FMVs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks