• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help from LA Members.....

HanksDeuce

The only inspection required is to verify that the VIN is placed on the exterior of the vehicle in one spot. I chose the front bumper. The trooper also verifies the dash VIN matches the bill of sale and insurance. I was in and out in 10 minutes or less at Troop A in Baton Rouge.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks,

Just picked up my La driving license. Queried the person who helped me re FMV registration. She had no experience in this area, but in about a minute printed out the attached doc [this is also the third attachment that Torres70380 provided in an earlier post]. Seems to be 'gospel' for those chosing this route in the bayou state.

Attachments

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
bsorcs, keep in mind that you have to register the deuce with the Special Plates devision, in Baton Rouge. The local DMV can't do it. You have 2 choices, call and get the info needed as well as the $$$ needed and mail it in (and wait), or drive to Baton Rouge and do it in person (same day).

I have nothing in writing, however, I was told by several LEOs (LSP) that although the Deuces and CUCVs are registered as FMVs, they are in fact classified as 'historic' vehicles. Historic vehicles do NOT need inspections in LA.

I have also been through several roadblocks (State and Parish) and the only thing they want to see is Drivers License and proof of insurance, sometimes not even that!. The only issue I have had was with a local city marshal, he said that a civilian could not own a military vehicle...

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Louisiana Antique Plate on Deuce or bigger

Has anyone in Louisiana with a deuce & larger or 5 ton , registered it using the antique plate statue?

Not the former military vehicle vin stencil option but using an apportioned plate or similar from the correct year as per Section V 1.02

I would appreciate your experience if you did do? PM fine.

Thanks for your Help!
Juan

Attachments

jimm1009

In Louisiana any vehicle that is a "Prestige Vehicle" and registered as such does not have to display the inspection sticker but you still have to comply with the annual vehciel inspection process.
Staple the sticker to your registration or keep it in the same military binder as your registration and insurance as I do and there will be no issue.
A "Prestige Vehicle" is a former military vehicle of 25 years less or older or, an Antique vehicle (1930 Ford Model A for an example), and another description that escapes me right now.
If you have a regular license plate just like a regular car or pickup truck you must display the inspection sticker just as a regular car or truck does.
If you have an Antique (25 years old or older)(also an Prestige Vehicle) and it has a year of manufacture plate (same example -1930 Model A with Louisiana 1930 License plate), or the former military vehicle registered using the military VIN as most of us do, then you do not have to display the registration or the expiration sticker for the plate.
I can't reference it right now but I have been pulled over probably 8 to 10 times in my CUCV and when I explain the sticker and the lack of license plate the state or local trooper always agrees / confirms my xplanation and smiles and walks away. Once in a while a new-to-the-job LEO is not aware of the RS for the lack of a license plate but when I pull out the RS for them to read they just smile.
Been without license plate and sticker display for 190,000 miles and 17 years
in my M1009 & three in the M35A2C Deuce.
Noi Problemo!

jimm1009

PS: If someone pulls up the RS for the inspeciton sticker then please refereence it for all of us.

In Louisiana any vehicle that is a "Prestige Vehicle" and registered as such does not have to display the inspection sticker but you still have to comply with the annual vehciel inspection process.
Staple the sticker to your registration or keep it in the same military binder as your registration and insurance as I do and there will be no issue.
A "Prestige Vehicle" is a former military vehicle of 25 years less or older or, an Antique vehicle (1930 Ford Model A for an example), and another description that escapes me right now.
If you have a regular license plate just like a regular car or pickup truck you must display the inspection sticker just as a regular car or truck does.
If you have an Antique (25 years old or older)(also an Prestige Vehicle) and it has a year of manufacture plate (same example -1930 Model A with Louisiana 1930 License plate), or the former military vehicle registered using the military VIN as most of us do, then you do not have to display the registration or the expiration sticker for the plate.
I can't reference it right now but I have been pulled over probably 8 to 10 times in my CUCV and when I explain the sticker and the lack of license plate the state or local trooper always agrees / confirms my xplanation and smiles and walks away. Once in a while a new-to-the-job LEO is not aware of the RS for the lack of a license plate but when I pull out the RS for them to read they just smile.
Been without license plate and sticker display for 190,000 miles and 17 years
in my M1009 & three in the M35A2C Deuce.
Noi Problemo!

jimm1009

PS: If someone pulls up the RS for the inspeciton sticker then please refereence it for all of us.
Ditto what Jimm1009 says. I have to go get mine inspected. Gonna see if they will let me just staple it to my registration.

LC

goldneagle

When i lived in NJ I had a truck that was Diesel and weighed 14000 lbs. I owned 3 trucks in that weight class for about 15 years and never had to go to STATE inspection because they were in a SELF INSPECTION class. Never got a ticket for no inspection sticker! As some of you are aware NJ is one of the most regulated states in the nation yet they have a SELF INSPECTION class for Commercial Vehicles that are in the 14000 lb GVW.

Since we do not need to have the M35's inspected in order to register them in LA why would we have to get them inspected every year after that. As far as I was told the M35's are SELF INSPECTION. Since there is no emission test all you need is to make sure the brakes work and that all the lights function properly. 2cents

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have a antique plate on my m816. i keep it in the map compartment. i dont have a inspection stick for it or my duece that has the vin numbers on the hood

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks