• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help fuel problem

maxxplanck

Ok heres my problem, when I would take my deuce out and run her at full speed she would start to stall out, then I would have to nurse her home. So over the weekend I noticed I had some sandy like settlement in my fuel tank. So I removed my tank filtered all the fuel, did several gasoline flushes and then a good power wash. Then I reinstalled the tank, next I installed my secondary spin on fuel filter kit ( primary spin on fuel filter already installed before I noticed stuff in my fuel tank ). Everything looked great then I took her out for a test drive about 6-7 miles when I pulled up in the drive way and let her idle and she sounded rough about 500-600 RPM s then she died and now it wont start. After I installed the secondary spin on fuel filter I wonder if I didnt bleed it enough...... Please guys Im at wittsend with this any advice... Thanks so much..aua

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it start well, cold?

Kinda sounds like a bad HH.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hydraulic Head

Yes, check out everything else.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
For fuel system issues, start at the beginning(it sounds like you have).
Make sure the tank is clean and has fuel only. I once drained 7gal of water out of mine.
Next, verify the in-tank pump is working and that the strainer/screens on it are clean. Test pressure to the primary, should be 5-7lbs.
From there it hits the booster pump on the IP. That should bump it up to 60ish psi.
Make sure the (secondary)filters are clean and the is no sediment at the bottom. While its apart, check to make sure the bleeder valve is in proper working order. I have never had to bleed the injector lines, just that port on the filters.
Finally make sure none of the tube is kinked.
If after all that you still have issues, its time to suspect the IP.

maxxplanck

Thanks guys for the help, as soon as this weather breaks Ill check for kinks in the new fuel lines I added with the spin on secondary fuel filter ( I did have a **** of a time installing them) and the fuel shut off. If worst comes to worst Ill buy a fuel injector pump , there not cheap. Never installed one before how hard are they to install ????? Also since I had a lot of settlement in my tank I might also replace my new primary spin on fuel filter, I put it on before I noticed any problems with settlement in my fuel.. Lets hope I dont need a fuel injector pump...:x

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You should have changed ALL the filters, incluiding the first spin on filter, it just maybe a pluged primary sure sounds like it, that fine sandbox sand will do it every time

maxxplanck

I checked the fuel shut off, kinks in the fuel line, fuel pump, everything was ok. Took off my secondary spin on fuel filter and bleed the fuel line , all good then a friend of mine ask me (
just thought about something else...... The fuel cap isnt set to "fording" is it? ) since I had taken the tank off to power wash it and clean it. I think it was :!: Truck started up and I ran it for 40 minutes, it ran great. I bought both new primary and secondary spin on fuel filters yesterday, Ill repace them this weekend to be on the safe side.. I really want to thank everyone for there help, it means a lot to me. Thank You Rich

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I first got my truck it had a vent like they run on the trannys and axles. It would vacuum seal the gas tank after driving a short while . . . pulled that off and re-vented it to an old hard line that was meant for that (the MC has been vented separate).

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might take off the vent line and blow it out or see why it was not clear.
Just drop it at the tank and use air in should be comming out at the draft tube on the passenger side of motor.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might take off the vent line and blow it out or see why it was not clear.
Just drop it at the tank and use air in should be comming out at the draft tube on the passenger side of motor.
If this was for me, it didn't have a vent line on it. They had used one of those bobble head vents that seal against water intake. I hooked it up to the vent line that they disconnected because of the "venting too close to the MC vent" problem. The MC had been disconnected from that line at some time so no prob w/ contamination.
It now does not vacuum seal the tank.
When I first saw it I thought "that's an odd way to vent a fuel tank", later I read some info about brake fluid contamination and realized that they just made bad worse.

If that was not for me please dis-regard ;)