• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help m35a2 with no fuel to injectors

NITEFARMER

Hello all,
I'm new here and need some help from you experienced guys. I have two M35A2's and both are doing the same thing. So either I am the most unlucky Deuce owner or this is a common problem. Neither of them are getting fuel to the injectors but both have fuel at the pump. The water truck was running fine and one day taking water to the cows it just quit. Thinking it was a filter problem I changed them all including the in tank pump. Did not help and I gave up. Thinking the injection pump was bad I started looking for a IP and ended up buying another truck for not much more than a pump. It ran great but needed a clutch and one rearend. That was several years ago and this past weekend I decided I was going to start it up again. It started and revved up to I'd say about 2000 rpms. I immediately pulled the kill but it did nothing for about 5-10 seconds and slowly started dying out like it was running out of fuel and stopped. So I went out and checked the linkage to be sure it was not stuck wide open and everything appears to be working freely. Tried to restart and nothing. Opened bleed screw at filters, good fuel. Cracked line at IP, good fuel. So cracked two injector lines at injectors and tried again, no fuel. Disgusted and not believing I had another truck doing the exact same thing, I googled it and ended up here. From what I've read it seems a button may have come off in the pump not allowing the HH to work. Since I have not worked on these pumps(only Roosa-Masters on tractors), I need some detailed advice on how to check for and repair this. As well as any other ideas or advice as to what could be causing this problem. Thanks in advance for your forum and help.

Jeepsinker

There are some very detailed threads on this repair on here. Search "HH button fix" it really isn't that hard once you get in there. Just tedious. There are a couple of very small parts that can be a real pain in the butt to get back in the right place, and are easily lost if you drop them trying to reinstall.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Pull the fuel shut off lever off the ip. There is a lever under there that needs to move forward and back freely. Post up what you find.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you really want to make this job easy for yourself, pull the fender off so you can get to the pump and see the pump easily.
THIS makes a world of difference!! I recently purchased new buttons from AMBAC, they arrived 2 days after ordering. Might as well change out the O-rings while you're in there.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you really want to make this job easy for yourself, pull the fender off so you can get to the pump and see the pump easily.
Respctfully I have never pulled a fender and never will as you could have had the Head off half the time. You just need something to stand on so you skinny or fat belly is level with the fender and the better halfs pocket mirror. Then you will need soldier B to help turn the jackshaft to get the mark on the Head lined up. Also you do not need to remove the injector lines from the injectors just the HH. You will need to remove the vibration clips from the injector lines. After you get the vibration clips off and all the lines loose off the Head call soldier B from his nap or drinking beer in the shade. With his belt or a peice of rope wrap it around the injector lines at the head after you have the 4 nuts and retainers off the head. All he has to do is carefully lift up on all the injector lines enough so you can pull the Head up,over and out. Ask P&C trans aka Pete how we did it in no time.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much where they ? Did you need a size number ?
It was at least 2 years ago when I purchased them; the numbers were from another thread on here. I remember that it was pretty easy to find & order them, and the shipping was more than the purchase price (I bought 10 or 12 at the time). I'll have to go through my thread subscriptions to find it again....

Jeepsinker

Respctfully I have never pulled a fender and never will as you could have had the Head off half the time. You just need something to stand on so you skinny or fat belly is level with the fender and the better halfs pocket mirror. Then you will need soldier B to help turn the jackshaft to get the mark on the Head lined up. Also you do not need to remove the injector lines from the injectors just the HH. You will need to remove the vibration clips from the injector lines. After you get the vibration clips off and all the lines loose off the Head call soldier B from his nap or drinking beer in the shade. With his belt or a peice of rope wrap it around the injector lines at the head after you have the 4 nuts and retainers off the head. All he has to do is carefully lift up on all the injector lines enough so you can pull the Head up,over and out. Ask P&C trans aka Pete how we did it in no time.
I never have pulled a fender either, but I don't know the guy's age or physical condition. It is way easier without the fender there though. Was great on my engine I have in a frame section.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea mechanics is not tough if your are mechanley inclined. It is just knowing the little tricks to help save time or correct disembely/assembely procedure of any machine. There are a lot of educated people on SS. There are a lot of great mechanley inclined people and there are mechanics on SS. I am not well educated from the schools but that has nothing to do with mechanley inclined. Now my problem is I am loosing my memory and I am not kidding..........what we were talking about.

rustystud

Yea mechanics is not tough if your are mechanley inclined. It is just knowing the little tricks to help save time or correct disembely/assembely procedure of any machine. There are a lot of educated people on SS. There are a lot of great mechanley inclined people and there are mechanics on SS. I am not well educated from the schools but that has nothing to do with mechanley inclined. Now my problem is I am loosing my memory and I am not kidding..........what we were talking about.
That reminds me of a story told to me when I was an apprentice at "IHC" . There was a young mechanic and an old mechanic, both told to repair the same problem ( a broken hydraulic pump) on two different but same model trucks. The young mechanic brought in the truck and right off started to tear it apart. Pieces all over the place. The old mechanic brought in his truck and sat there looking at the truck for quit awhile. He would walk around and look at this part and that part and then go look at something else. Meanwhile the young mechanic had half the engine torn apart. Finally the old mechanic removed a couple of parts and then removed the pump and replaced it, putting everything back together in a few minutes. About this time the young mechanic shouted out that he had successfully removed the pump ! Looking at the old mechanic he asked "are you ever going to get started ? " I took this lesson to heart and ever since I plan out my strategy how I'm going to repair something.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea Rusty it's been a long time for me makeing may living with my wrenches but when I could beat Chiltons time it made a differance.
The right tool allways helps and useing air tools cuts the time if you are bumping the clock. Save the minutes and at the end of the year it will be hours pushing days. lol

Last edited:

NITEFARMER

Thanks guys. After reading some other posts as suggested(thanks Jeepsinker) I think I am going to go back to the water truck first. The only problem with it other than this issue is it sometimes gets stuck in 3rd gear. I will start a new thread for that and look forward to your advice and will keep you updated on this.