• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help priming NHC250

3poffroad

Just changed the fuel filter on the truck last week. Filled the canister with diesel prior to putting it back on. Now this dang thing won't start at all. The primer pump on the side, do you Crack the petcock open behind it while priming? Is there a bleeder valve like the 8.3?

Thanks for the help fellas!

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might have an air leak! It also could be the check balls in the hand primer are gummed up or something. there should be 2 screws you can take out to get to the check balls

HMMWV Nut

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The petcock behind the primer? I pumped that bad boy for 20 min and still got nothing!
Might have to replace the o rings on the plunger to get a good seal for prime.The o rings get dry rotted over time, crack and then your standing there all day priming the pump for nothingaua

jerry v

how about the area you worked on is the canaster on tight sealed ?did you pinch a hose up close to the connection causing small crack? , just thinking of anything right now? try starting it with either may it will vacuum up?

sandcobra164

Pressurize the fuel tank or perform the dreaded prime by ether. Both methods work but many people on here do not like starting fluid. It got a horrible reputation back in the day when sprayed from the can. On a cold day, my M923 will run the batteries down if I try to start on diesel alone but it has a factory installed ether injection system.... That helps!!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
On top of the fuel filter head under the bolt head of the long bolt that holds the canister on there is rectangle plate that seals a O ring under it, if this plate is NOT IN the rectangle recess on top of the filter head, the system WILL draw air, to fix this, remove the rectangle plate, straighten it (it is bent now), reinstall IN the recess.

3poffroad

Got it figured guys. O-ring on fuel filter has a small split I didn't see at first. An plastic hose on primer was cracked as well. After I replaced both it primed right up and RUNS a million times better than it ever has before!!!!!!

jerry v

glad it worked out for you, the men on this site ,are some of the most kind people,and they are very smart im grateful for ss site.:driver:[thumbzup]

captcarc

I'm just preparing to change the fuel filter on my M934 with Cummins NHC-250. The filter is in the driver's side wheel well and is the hard, canister-housing type. Filter is $60 and spin-on canister conversion kit, with filter, is $195. Which direction should I go? I guess that buying the conversion kit is the best long-term solution and should be the direction that I go. The truck is a keeper. Hearing from anyone who has done the conversion, with tips, is appreciated, i.e. is it a simple bolt-on? Do you use Teflon tape on the threads? If I stay with the original configuration, do I need to buy a large canister wrench to spin off the large diameter canister housing? Thank you very much!

Zadvark

For future reference, O-Ring #0562 (3/8" ID X 1/2" OD X 1/16") from Lowes/HomeDepot, etc plumbing department is the correct size for the priming pump itself.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The stock canister filter housing is held in place by the long center bolt. Do Not attempt to "unthread" it. The existing system works well and does a good job at water separation. Get a case of filter elements from SS member Stonepicker. A case will last a very long time. If anything, upgrade the engine oil filter assembly to a spin on filter adapter. This mod will save time , mess, and money. The original filter elements are expensive and a little tricky to procure. Kits are listed in the classified.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks