• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need opinion... I'm stuck

jake1086

I hear ya ranini it's just that it works in my buddies truck which supposidly has a t case and axles out of some army truck ... again there not top loaders... so I'm guessing its an older truck???? heck if I know. but ya like I say I gotta get that particular buddies rat rod we're working on out of my shop and then I gotta get the deuce in to turn it up. We'll see what I think after that. If not I think I'll swing for the 7.3

Last edited:

Hainebd

2 nd gear high range and you think the 460 is going to give more wheel speed, no way it has no torque on the lower rs you will have to bild that 460 up make a strokes out of it and rehear deuce to match. Fix rat, check valves, injectors and install pyro then adjust fuel. Just keep an eye on the gauge while muddin. Also, turbo needs rs to flow exhaust to turn turbo if you have one, you have to keep foot in it to work. Your tires may be to much for deuce and gearing. Lighten the deuce up. Lighter wheels and tires. Go with pinion brake. The lighter the wheel the easier it will spin. Also, put lockers in and craw. Keep the tires. With true 4wd you will have no trouble till time to pull out. Buy a pu for muddin. Deuces are not designed for it.

Carlo

You're still going to need a radiator if you install the 460.

I honestly don't think you'd be gaining much with the 460. The hp is around 200-245 depending on year (info from google search) and torque around 400ft lb (again depending on year). I'd be willing to bet a turned up multifuel would come fairly close to those numbers. I'd say the 460 may give you a little advantage but it's not going to turn your truck into a powerhouse. A 460 is a pretty big engine in a pickup truck but is on the small side for something as big as a deuce.

Also consider the fact that your gas mileage is going to be awful with a 460. I wouldn't do it.

If you want to talk engine swaps lets start talking about Cummins replacements or maybe a DT466. Of course one of these swaps is probably going to cost quite a bit more than $500.
Also if you care about resale vaule the Ford conversion would put your truck at low vaule. Not many collectors would want it but the truck is yours and half the fun of owning it is make it personal to you.
I agree 100% M16TY and if you have the money a 5,9 cummins from a wrecked dodge might be a good route. The DT466 is a 5 star motor and can be turned up to crazy HP numbers to over 1,000 hp if you have the funds (look at what the tractor pullers do to them).
Or you could fix the radiator, add some super singles, turn up the pump a little and see how it helps.
Good luck!

jake1086

I figure I better send a pic of my deuce so you guys can at least look at what I have.IMG_0006_1.jpg If anything I think I need some more weight in the back. I need to build a bed for it.

jake1086

This is a picture of me ACTUALLY stuck since the title of my thread is a little misleading IMG_20130602_175853_285.jpg I'm having a problem tonight over heating anyone know why? IMG_20130606_230508_729.jpg On a serious note I have an oil leak I think it's coming from my hyd head I'm hoping I just need to tighten some bolts up but I'll include 2 pics to see what you guys think. IMG_20130606_230522_125.jpgIMG_20130606_230539_546.jpg It's pretty dirty I just didnt know oil could leak from this?

welldigger

Your HH isn't leaking. Its the fuel shut off and that little cover just below it are leaking. Mine seeps oil in those same places. Don't loose sleep over it until its a steady drip.

jake1086

2 nd gear high range and you think the 460 is going to give more wheel speed, no way it has no torque on the lower rs you will have to bild that 460 up make a strokes out of it and rehear deuce to match. Fix rat, check valves, injectors and install pyro then adjust fuel. Just keep an eye on the gauge while muddin. Also, turbo needs rs to flow exhaust to turn turbo if you have one, you have to keep foot in it to work. Your tires may be to much for deuce and gearing. Lighten the deuce up. Lighter wheels and tires. Go with pinion brake. The lighter the wheel the easier it will spin. Also, put lockers in and craw. Keep the tires. With true 4wd you will have no trouble till time to pull out. Buy a pu for muddin. Deuces are not designed for it.
If I swap in a new motor I will be swapping in the transmission as well a 2 wheel drive unit. That way the engine is matched to the gears in the transmission. No I havent done any measuring but theres a couple ways to gain space so I'm not worried about it.

jake1086

... hmm It's only been sitting in the shop about 6 hours and already has that little puddle below it.. I wonder if pushing the fuel shut off back in after turning off the truck would help...

welldigger

Is the puddle directly under that spot? Also I have experience with medium duty trucks with gas engines. Unless you plan on putting a blower on that 460 don't expect to be impressed with the power in such a heavy truck. On a positive note a v-8 is shorter than a I-6 so that frees up space for a longer tranny.

jake1086

ya the puddle seems to be right under that spot .. maybe a little in front? but maybe right under it too. the puddle has grown quite a bit over night...

welldigger

Get some degreaser or brake cleaner, something, and clean everything up good. That will make the leak easier to pin point. Also check the oil lines under the IP. If one of those goes on you its bad news real fast.

welldigger

I believe they do on the underside of the IP. Also check the steering box itself. They can leak pretty bad. My truck has oil running down the frame from the steering box. Not a big deal for me since I will be replacing it with M-35 toms power steering kit.

jake1086

If it's the steering box it wont have much oil left for long haha I'll try and clean it up tommorrow and see what I can see, I'll post back when I figure it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks