• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need opinion... I'm stuck

welldigger

I'm going to guess that it is the seal around the shaft that protrudes through the frame that is leaking. The correct way to repair it would be to get a new seal and install it. Not an easy thing to do. Another thing I have heard mentioned is some members have replaced the gear oil with John Deere Corn head grease. It is what's called a flowable grease. In my opinion this would probably work just fine....but like anything you read on the internet...use at your own risk. This stuff is made to run in gear boxes on corn harvesters. I would imagine that is a much higher demand application than a deuce steering gear slowly turning one way, then slowly turning the other way. Again though, that is just my opinion.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Maybe not oil, but some high pressure lube. There are 2 follower pins mounted on 4 tapered roller bearings and there is high pressure developed as you may imagine. It's hard enough to steer without these failing.

welldigger

I think ams oil makes a couple different varieties of flowable grease. Call or email them and see what they say their greases can handle. Also, you can swing by your nearest John Deere tractor dealership and ask them what the corn head grease can handle.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it is the steering box leaking... now what??
It's not the proper fix but you could do like I did and fill it with John Deere corn head grease. Seems to work ok for a couple of years now and the leak has stopped.

The proper fix would be to replace the seals but it's no easy task to remove the steering box.

jake1086

sounds good I'll go pick some up when I get a chance, my radiator should be done wednesday I'll refill the steering box, straighten a few struts that hold the headlight housings up, radiator cross bar a touch, install the radiator, and my new grill should be here this week... be back up and runnin in no time :)

Should probably still drain my front and rear ends out and replace fluids.

SO ON TO MY NEXT QUESTION!!!!!!!!

home made deep water vent for axles????

welldigger

Pull the axle vent. I believe the threads are 3/8 npt. Get a barbed fitting and screw into hole. Then get some kind of tubing (I like DOT air brake line) and route vent to where ever you want it.

jake1086

thats some nice flowable stuff my **** grease gun didnt wanna prime with it it seemed so I ended up with a pair of rubber gloves packing it in there haha.radiator is fixed and back in, just waiting on my new grill I ordered from ... c&C i think

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never had any trouble with my gun pumping it.

What I did was to screw the drain plug out and added a grease fitting. I started pumping the corn head grease in until it came out the fill plug in the top. I don't remember how much it held but the best I remember is was quite a bit.

jake1086

i concur 100% and I say that only being 26 I think tho that I've used older grease guns when I was younger on the rigs .... 8 yrs ago and ya I remember the transition of "these new guns ****ing blow!" **** china.

welldigger

i concur 100% and I say that only being 26 I think tho that I've used older grease guns when I was younger on the rigs .... 8 yrs ago and ya I remember the transition of "these new guns ****ing blow!" **** china.
2 Guns stay on my drilling rig and one stays at home. I can't tell you how many brands I have tried and how many I have taken back to the store. I have realized they all suck and its a roll of the dice when you buy one. I will literally buy 2 or 3 guns at once because I know at least 1 isn't going to work. They love it when you bring one back covered in grease. I would normally try to clean it up but I'm usually so frustrated by that point I couldn't care less.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks