• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need title advice on 3 Military trucks I currently possess

6x6pawn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I'll try and keep this as simple as possible.

I pawned a few military trucks from a guy without titles or SF97's. (yes yes dumb but the amount was pennies on the dollar) [thumbzup]

I ended up obtaining the Sf97s and reassignment papers/bills of sale

The Sf97s are made out to his business

His business is in California

I am in Ohio

I have all necessary power of attorneys including the power to sign for him/his business (all 100% legit and notarized)

DMV is telling me I need to register them in California before I can do jack $h!t

Thats virtually impossible I assume due to the CARB thingy and the fact the three trucks are here in Ohio..2300 sum miles away.

All three trucks are in great shape and desert tan. 2 Tan M931A2's and an M923A2 AM General Cargo w/3200 miles.

I don't want to scrap them, I don't want to part them out, and I don't want to sell them without titles.

Advice from the experts is desperately needed. Anything is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I'll try and keep this as simple as possible.

I pawned a few military trucks from a guy without titles or SF97's. (yes yes dumb but the amount was pennies on the dollar) [thumbzup]

I ended up obtaining the Sf97s and reassignment papers/bills of sale

The Sf97s are made out to his business

His business is in California

I am in Ohio

I have all necessary power of attorneys including the power to sign for him/his business (all 100% legit and notarized)

DMV is telling me I need to register them in California before I can do jack $h!t

Thats virtually impossible I assume due to the CARB thingy and the fact the three trucks are here in Ohio..2300 sum miles away.

All three trucks are in great shape and desert tan. 2 Tan M931A2's and an M923A2 AM General Cargo w/3200 miles.

I don't want to scrap them, I don't want to part them out, and I don't want to sell them without titles.

Advice from the experts is desperately needed. Anything is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Most likely they don't need to be registered in california but titled there . Then the california title transfered to ohio. Everybody has to get their tax dollars.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do i need to do it in person or do you think i could just mail all of this and see what happens?
Your best bet is to contact the CA DMV and see what they require. Half a dozen different people on here could tell you 1/2 dozen different things and you'll never know for sure if any of them is correct.

Artisan

Maybe register them as OFF ROAD ONLY play toys for now? hehe

The State of California ONLY DOES WHAT GENERATES MONEY...
The state of California is a CR1MINAL 0RGANIZATION that repeatedly
robs from it's peoplie. We don't want to get political or ship will hit the fan
but out think them, it is possible.

So throw them a few small bones, beat them at their own game and carry on.

In California there are PRIVATE individuals who will do VIN checks etc. You
do NOT "have" to go to the CHP for a VIN check, it is a little know FACT
these individuals who are licensed through the Calif DMV who do VIN checks...
They KNOW the laws too, and they will help you, whereas CALIF DMV folks will
only lead you down the path of PAY ME SUCKA"!

I happen to know one of these fine men.

Last edited:

quickfarms

First thing I would do is contact a professional registration service in Ohio to see what your options are.

Since it was pawned what is the legal process to acquire the title in Ohio for an abandoned vehicle.

California requires the VIN to be verified by the CHP, a private vin verifier or any LEO. This is going to be an issue since the vehicles are not in or near California. I would print out the vin verification form that is available on line and do the leg work to see if the Ohio state police will fill it out and will the CA DMV accept it.

In California you can title a vehicle without registering.

wsucougarx

I have used the paperwork you have along with a bill of sale from the seller to transfer a title. I've done it like this 4 times now with no issues.

Avn-Tech

Sir,

in in california we can do a lien sale if the vehicle is abandoned by the owner.
See if your state offers the same process.
AAA did the registrations for me on my m105's, Mkt's, m101's, ect. .
Check with them and see if they can help you.
also there are private firms authorized to do DMV business in California.

to keep form paying registration fees on all my vehicles, I am working on getting a car dealership.
then I just put a plate on what ever vehicle I am driving at the time.
it will pay for it's self on just the reg for my deuce each year.

good luck
avn-tech

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cali has a form and they will send you a title. You POA enables you to fill out the form...

This is the answer I got from Cali's dmv when I had a similar issue a while back (except in my case the guy refused to sign the form)

quickfarms

Maybe register them as OFF ROAD ONLY play toys for now? hehe

The State of California ONLY DOES WHAT GENERATES MONEY...
The state of California is a CR1MINAL 0RGANIZATION that repeatedly
robs from it's peoplie. We don't want to get political or ship will hit the fan
but out think them, it is possible.

So throw them a few small bones, beat them at their own game and carry on.

In California there are PRIVATE individuals who will do VIN checks etc. You
do NOT "have" to go to the CHP for a VIN check, it is a little know FACT
these individuals who are licensed through the Calif DMV who do VIN checks...
They KNOW the laws too, and they will help you, whereas CALIF DMV folks will
only lead you down the path of PAY ME SUCKA"!

I happen to know one of these fine men.
Reading the OP it sounds like the Ohio DMV will not register them without a California registration, so how is the issue caused by California?

Reading between the lines I would suspect that there is some other issue with the paperwork, the pawn or business that is really causing the problem.

California is actually not that bad of a state. Yes they have some more hoops to jump through but if you follow the rules the issues are not that bad and any costs are offset by the higher wages.

If you followed the rules your issues would disappear.

In any jurisdiction or state it is best to do the research before you start a project.

It is your attitude that has put a target on the military trucks in California, well especially this area. Watch out for the black and white pickup trucks.

RDUKW

In order for you to title them in California you will have to have them Vin verified. That verification requires a California highway patrol, California police officer or a California DMV Rep. If they are A2's they will have to be registered full commercial which will be very expensive because they don't qualify for Historic plates. The best advice I can give you is contact a DMV registration service and see if they can help you.

6x6pawn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I haven't had much luck with the cali bmv. Pretty useless.

What can I do with a bonded title? Would it ever be road legal?

This is bull**** because nothing in the bill of sale says it has to be titled to the address in the re assignment / bill of sale. That is their ONLY problem...

6x6pawn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys for your input so far... Hoping I can get something worked out. Hate to see these sit and rot. Been sitting for almost a year. *thankfully on concrete*

quickfarms

Yeah, I haven't had much luck with the cali bmv. Pretty useless.

What can I do with a bonded title? Would it ever be road legal?

This is bull**** because nothing in the bill of sale says it has to be titled to the address in the re assignment / bill of sale. That is their ONLY problem...
Is the Ohio DMV refusing to title the vehicles with the form 97 and reassignment?

What is "Cali"?

What base did they come out of?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks