• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Negligent Discharge or Creative Ventilation

Plane Fast

Possible scenario... First Gulf war. Troops roll up on some dug in Iraqis. The Iraqis decide not to turn and run. (Big mistake) Soldier A comes up with a daring plan to break the stalemate! Soldier A will drive, while soldier B mans the rifle. The troops decided to use the earthen berm in front of the Iraqis as a ramp. Soldier A floors the HMMWV, and heads straight for the enemy! As they fly over the heads of the stunned Iraqis. (Think Dukes of Hazzard for you Northern folks) Soldier B opens fire through the floor, destroying the enemy! :shrugs:

Or they are just drain holes....

Last edited:

Shark Bait

have you ever carried an M4 or M16 in a mil vehicle? It's not muzzle down....that's only on Helicopters.
that hole size is much larger then 5.56, more like 7.62mm. FYI....the military does not use .223
looks like the same spot all the trucks I have ever seen come through my shop...if you will notice also that mud in your
pic, that plugs the only drain hole in the area.
Just for the record, the 5.56 and .223 Is the same bullet. Difference is the wall thickness of the 5.56 case is greater than the .223 creating higher pressures. Therefore being the reason it is not recommended to fire 5.56 cartridges through a .223 chambered rifle. Most modern .223 rifles will be ok, but as a rule not recommended.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for the record, the 5.56 and .223 Is the same bullet. Difference is the wall thickness of the 5.56 case is greater than the .223 creating higher pressures. Therefore being the reason it is not recommended to fire 5.56 cartridges through a .223 chambered rifle. Most modern .223 rifles will be ok, but as a rule not recommended.

You don't want to shoot a 5.56 through a .223 labeled barrel....you can shoot .223 through 556, not the other way around.
and yes, I know .223 is for conversations purposes the same...and referred to as such.

Dock Rocker

556 also used a different primer and has a smaller primer pocket. But what do I know. Oh and most 223 bullets are actually .224 in diameter.

Lawdog734

Ok, let's stop acting like children and get back to the point at hand.

I also think it is extremely unlikely that someone fired multiple rounds through the floorboard of the vehicle, but if you feel it gives you a cool story, then go for it. You'll likely get a lot of chocked eyebrows though.

We used to get the same effect with a hammer and Philips head screwdriver back in the day to aid in drainage......

KansasBobcat

My early USMC M998 has very crude drain holes in rear floor. They do not look like 5.56, however. There are repair kits available to fix these crude holes which tells me they were fairly common.

Csm Davis

Okay guy's I will take a gander at his floor and give an opinion but that's not going to sway some people one way or the other, retiredwarhorse did you really get though 30 years of service and never hear of any idiots having a AD or ND if so you got lucky. I personally didn't make it through my first 4 years, there were 1 AD and 2 ND that I remember, none were me. This is not a judgment of my service brother's but it happens. Especially in times of war where you can't control everything that might happen. Could they be punch holes? Sure,and they could also be 556. I know a few special opps guys that would not think twice in the right time and place about using his M4 as a metal punch.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay guy's I will take a gander at his floor and give an opinion but that's not going to sway some people one way or the other, retiredwarhorse did you really get though 30 years of service and never hear of any idiots having a AD or ND if so you got lucky. I personally didn't make it through my first 4 years, there were 1 AD and 2 ND that I remember, none were me. This is not a judgment of my service brother's but it happens. Especially in times of war where you can't control everything that might happen. Could they be punch holes? Sure,and they could also be 556. I know a few special opps guys that would not think twice in the right time and place about using his M4 as a metal punch.
I was the Brigades primary weapons instructor "10yrs" for all small arms...as well as 5yrs in a Maint FSB as a Weapons repairer. Yes....I have seen AD's....just none involving vehicles where these supposed soldiers and marines and shooting holes in Hmmwv floors, as either AD or intentional. ammunition is a very controlled item as you are well aware, so the chances of a stateside HMMWV having this done are slim to none....because ammo is only allowed on a range or other controlled environment, please don't go into specops.
If the truck was deployed in theater, then yes...good possibility, but still unlikely IMO, we don't point or muzzles Down in the front seat of a HMMWV, only on Helos....which I was a flight Engineer/ crew chief for 10 of my years, on 4 airframes.

now, the question begs how the truck I just finished and is due pickup Monday, had those very same holes in the same spot...but only 3 of them. I drilled them oversize and left them as is, installed insulation and done deal.
This is my last post on this subject....I only replied because you specifically mentioned my name.
either way....happy motoring.

Last edited:

Plane Fast

Now that I look at Retiredwarhorses avatar. I know my theory is true!! He's the one that did it!:grd:

p.s. Just trying to lighten the mood. SS becoming very serious these days.

2w091

Here is ours, I thought it was corrosion at first, the Army mechanic who looked at just shook his head and laughed, understand why now............the whole aluminum body thingy...................:shrugs:humveefloor.JPG

Csm Davis

I can assure you that who ever the potential culprit was, He was not in the Air Force, ( Air Force makes one account for every single round, if your short its a Report of Survey, ) In advertent discharges less than Fifty cal there is **** to pay, if its a 30 mm round or a "misbehaving Mav Missile" , one is just thank full every ones OK! it makes a good talking point around the campfire, Who cares what really happened, You both nice guys, Hope it gets better!
Air Force? Didn't know that you guy's even had small arms, thought all y'all got were bombs and 20-30mm stuff. Lol

dawico

If it were a ND in full auto wouldn't the holes be closer together and somewhat in a line from muzzle rise?

They could have been made single shot though. I just don't see full auto ND.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks