• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nevada - 5 ton's license plates pulled by DMV

wcuhillbilly

Dammit I really like this truck too. I guess I'm just better off finding a deuce
yup, the deuce is a good place to start, Lot less hassle legally, and a lot of options for mods at a lesser cost to you...

This is turning into a "how can I skirt the reg thread" really fast, This guy is in Nevada, so he needs Nevada Facts, not opinions. Thing is if he gets the 5 ton, and tags or insures it in the grey areas that have been mentioned above. Not if, but when something happens, this poor guy will lose his shirt with a lawsuit or be faced with a tow bill or medical costs that will likely bankrupt. Theres a reason I have a class A CDL, theres a reason I tag my 816 commercial, and spend $800 a year on commercial wrecker insurance with another liability policy for my "Services"(Excavation, heavy recovery) side business.
Do it right, or not at all, there are plenty of pitfalls to owning one of these trucks, mostly in the legality, upkeep, maintenance, and liability zone.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to guess it's the same reason why a member here had DOL call him and ask him why his deuce didn't have a DOT#, refuse to issue a plate, then demand he pay tonnage and get it inspected after he get a DOT#...... when he was supposed to have a collectors vehicle plate...... They don't know what they're doing..

[/FONT]

Based on what I see, it says that the vehicle isn't commercial unless using it for commercial purposes. This is the same crap I was talking about dealing with in WA.. DOL says one thing, but state law says another. DOL doesn't override state law. I do a pretrip before I go out, and when I get back... I don't need a checkmark in a box on a computer screen to say I can do that.. :p

Sounds like you're saying that anyone who is driving a 5 ton without a CDL is a bad person, if I'm reading in between the lines properly... You DO realize that these rigs were designed to be driven by 18 y/o kids with minimal to no instruction, right? Not that I'm saying you shouldn't know them, and understand them.. But it doesn't take a lot to understand the braking system, keep safe stopping distances, look farther ahead to avoid situations, etc... Couple things are a safety issue, like knowing what to do with a steer tire failure, but for the most part, they pretty much ARE 'big pickup trucks'....very.. heavy.. trucks.. with different characteristics....

But hey, not the first time I've been called a deplorable..Hahaha...

Signed, the guy who drives his 5 ton without a CDL, LEGALLY, per state and federal law...
What exactly are you talking about here, or trying to get at? Why do you keep throwing around the CDL terms, when several posts (on Page 1 of this thread) specifically address NON-COMMERCIAL driver's licenses? Why do you keep posting so-called examples from the state of Washington when we're trying to sort out things in the state of Nevada here in this thread?

I don't care if you get a CDL or not. Obviously you saw something "in between the lines" that I didn't place there. We have stated the differences between commercial & non-commercial for Nevada earlier in the thread. Since we're stooping to the condescension level now, do you realize that the Armed Forces require their "18 y/o kids with minimal to no instruction" to have successfully passed a driving & operating course prior to being allowed to operate these trucks? And that they are issued military driver's licenses stating such? How does that tie in to what I mentioned earlier?

I called somebody "bad?" All I stated is that if you seem more interested in NOT doing the right thing as a Nevada resident, I won't have anything to do with you nor will I help you when you get yourself in trouble because of it. I don't care what you experienced in Washington, I don't care who knows or doesn't know anything there; this thread deals with Nevada DL & registration issues. Yet you seem determined to derail this thread.

The primary focus of this thread, since it deviated from the original intent due to lack of any further input, became that of NON-COMMERCIAL driver's licenses for Nevada residents.

But please feel free to try to derail this thread and by all means continue with the personal attacks.

162tcat

Simple answer is do the research in your own state. At the end of the day it's your A$$ on the line so error on the side of caution and don't ruin it for everyone else! Now lock this before it gets any more personal!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

74M35A2

I use MI weight plates, M925A2. $450/yr. Oh well. Pay to play. If something happens, I have everything correct. Too much vehicle that gets too much attention to not have everything correct. I get asked all the time "is that thing legal to drive?". Can only imagine how many people in just passing cars think the same. Fully legal, paid big bucks for plate, I'm using it whenever I want as I legally please, leave me alone. Have driven 9,000 miles so far, at 10mpg that is 900 gallons of diesel fuel, and $450 plates each year for 4 years so far. Sounds like a tune of almost $5,000. Purchasing the truck is the lowest cost component, as mentioned by others.

Last edited:

wilkusmcrecon

I have 2 friends with 5 tons registered in Nevada who recently received notices saying that "upon reviewing your paper work, we noticed that your vehicle does not meet department standards for the plate you were issued" and that they need to turn their plates in within 15 days. It further says they need to register at motor carrier.

Having been told that when I tried to register my truck originally, gone to motor carrier, and been told that I can't register there unless I am commercial, regardless of weight...not sure what their options are.

Both titles list the vehicle model (M923xx) and on the titles the GVWR's are <26k.

I have another 2 friends with 5 tons that do not list the model on the title (just make) and did not receive these notices.

Has anyone else gotten one of these (in Nevada?) and how did you deal with it?
Better check, ran into the same thing here in alaska, anything over 1000 lbs will pay commercial rates and show a commercial plate. The difference is as a non commercial carrier there are NO DOT inspection, DOD stops/weight checks, DOT regulations and cdl required. You get the opportunity to directly compensate the state for loads you will never carry YA

Nomadic

Better check, ran into the same thing here in alaska, anything over 1000 lbs will pay commercial rates and show a commercial plate. The difference is as a non commercial carrier there are NO DOT inspection, DOD stops/weight checks, DOT regulations and cdl required. You get the opportunity to directly compensate the state for loads you will never carry YA
Are you required to maintain a log book?

goarmy

DMV California is now rejecting registration for Humvee as of a couple weeks ago. I just brought my second one in and the CHP told me so. Not good. Well, at least I got one registered. They will probably pull that too. Crap.

sunfair

Nevada will only title and register M939 series trucks and Humvees as Off-road or Large Off-road vehicles as of at least 1/1/2018. Cost is $28/yr. They will not issue a license plate, but only a sticker. If registered as a Large Off-road vehicle you can drive truck on all roadways except state or interstate highways. So in Southern Nevada the 15, 515, 93, 95, 160, 372 etc. are off-limits. You are required to have liability insurance from Nevada licensed insurer. Only a standard Class C DL is required if on public roadway. The reason given to me by DMV HQ in Carson City was that said vehicles were primarily intended and manufactured as Off-Road vehicles per Nevada DMV's queries to the manufacturers. The facts that the TM's devote hundreds of pages detailing highway usage, that the A2's have a CTIS "Highway" option, and that someone is lying or has been lied to are ignored - pointing this out just irritates them. However, you can obtain a permit ($15) to drive the vehicles to a buyer for registration in another state.

gottaluvit

There must not be any activity in the gas and oil industry over there. Nearly every company in my area that has anything to do with pipelines or reclamation has an M939 series truck doing something. I have uploaded quite a few photos of different trucks on the "MV spotted" thread. It wouldn't be a shocker to see them allow the trucks for commercial use, but not private use. Money talks.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nevada will only title and register M939 series trucks and Humvees as Off-road or Large Off-road vehicles as of at least 1/1/2018. Cost is $28/yr. They will not issue a license plate, but only a sticker. If registered as a Large Off-road vehicle you can drive truck on all roadways except state or interstate highways. So in Southern Nevada the 15, 515, 93, 95, 160, 372 etc. are off-limits. You are required to have liability insurance from Nevada licensed insurer. Only a standard Class C DL is required if on public roadway. The reason given to me by DMV HQ in Carson City was that said vehicles were primarily intended and manufactured as Off-Road vehicles per Nevada DMV's queries to the manufacturers. The facts that the TM's devote hundreds of pages detailing highway usage, that the A2's have a CTIS "Highway" option, and that someone is lying or has been lied to are ignored - pointing this out just irritates them. However, you can obtain a permit ($15) to drive the vehicles to a buyer for registration in another state.

My local MVPA Chapter is working closely with NV legislators and DMV brass, trying to introduce a new Military Vehicle license plate statute in the next legislative session ("Historic Military Vehicle"). M939s CAN be registered as either personal vehicles or commercial vehicles in the state of NV, depending upon your intended usage. M939-series trucks are NOT required to be registered as Off-Road Only vehicles. Somebody at your local DMV there in Pahrump is completely lost, and if you have a legal title to that truck, you can title & register it in NV. I've not heard anything contrary.

If you received this info in writing, can you please scan it & post it here? I've run this by a couple of NHP troopers & they haven't heard anything of the sort, just HMMWVs. It's possible that your DMV employee read your truck as being manufactured by AM-General and thought that the HMMWV restrictions applied to ALL AM-General vehicles....anything is possible these days. One member here has continual problems with the Ely DMV; they simply refuse to register ANY former military vehicle (an issue we are working to resolve using legislative contacts).

My advice: take the title & insurance paperwork you have for your M939 vehicle (NOT HMMWV), including VIN inspection form, to a Las Vegas DMV office and register it there. The North Decatur DMV office is well-versed in titling/registering military vehicles, they've done 6 for me and several for other Chapter members as well. When registering it for on-road use, your fees will be determined by weight of the vehicle, so be prepared for an annual registration fee of anywhere $600-800.

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In reference to the original posting that started this thread, I have consulted NRS and several other DMV & NHP sources. Changes were made in 2015 legislative session to NRS in regards to various registrations for these trucks that some people were using to save money; restrictions were added and the DMV is slowly but surely auditing these registrations and revoking those don't meet the criteria. Vehicle owners have the option to return to the DMV and re-register as either a personal vehicle (fees based on weight...OUCH) or commercial, depending upon intended usage.

Since we've never heard back from the OP, I can only assume that this above explains what happened. There are way too many M939-series trucks legally registered just in the Las Vegas valley alone to debunk any fears that ALL M939-series registrations would be cancelled/revoked.

sunfair

5-ton NV Registration

I did not get the restriction in writing. The local DMV in Pahrump stated that they could not title nor register my BMY M923A2 for on-hwy use. The manager took copies of my paperwork to review the situation and a few days later stated the truck could only be titled and registered as an off-highway vehicle. I called Carson City and they confirmed. I'll have to do some more research since what I'm learning here is completely contradictory to what I'm hearing from the DMV. And, thank you for the Clark County DMV location.

Nomadic

I did not get the restriction in writing. The local DMV in Pahrump stated that they could not title nor register my BMY M923A2 for on-hwy use. The manager took copies of my paperwork to review the situation and a few days later stated the truck could only be titled and registered as an off-highway vehicle. I called Carson City and they confirmed. I'll have to do some more research since what I'm learning here is completely contradictory to what I'm hearing from the DMV. And, thank you for the Clark County DMV location.
Carson City probably just stood by Pahrump DMV w/out researching it. I'd follow silverstate55 suggestion to go to the North Decatur DMV and say nothing about the trouble you have had and just ask to register it.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carson City probably just stood by Pahrump DMV w/out researching it. I'd follow silverstate55 suggestion to go to the North Decatur DMV and say nothing about the trouble you have had and just ask to register it.
The East Sahara DMV is also a good option; the head VIN inspector there (Ken) is very MV-friendly.

Nomadic had the best advice; don't mention anything about problems registering it, and if they ask why you're coming to Clark County to register it, just mention that you work in Vegas so you're there all week...seems to be the norm for a lot of folks with residences in Nye County but working in CC.

Be friendly & smile, this goes a long way with the DMV folks, I've found...if they mention the letter, just be polite and courteous when pointing out that it specifically refers to HMMWVs, not any other AM-General products.

74M35A2

...then send silverstate55 a pizza lunch for curing your headache with his extensive knowledge and efforts on the subject. Very cheap cost to rectify that type of issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks