• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nevada - 5 ton's license plates pulled by DMV

TCD

Howdy,

I may have misunderstood when I was told you have to take an air brake test as well as a the Class B test. Perhaps it is not a separate endorsement.

I hope to start the process soon and I'll confirm this when I can.

Thanks,
Tom

Amer-team

This is an interesting thread and while it only applies to NV, it goes to prove that things can get worse in licensing requirements. I am a WA MV owner and still needing to get provisional inspection from the WSP for Serial number identification on a 91 M923A2.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone checked into any exceptions to any of these requirements - namely for Farmers? In NY there are CDL and taxation exemptions ... Just a thought (if it helps in your particular situation)

gottaluvit

I thought the feds took over the CDL requirements and just make the states enforce them. I live in Ohio and took my CDL training in WV and my test in Ohio. So what would NV say about a non resident passing through in an M931 with a 48' trailer and just a plain ol' noncommercial lisense? I was taught in CDL classes that a CDL isn't needed for any commercial vehicle used for non commercial use. I was talking to a guy that had a Pete semi-tractor with a noncommercial plate pulling a camper trailer working in the oilfields. (Can't remember what state he was from.) I usually support state's rights but the feds should control this better to eliminate the drama.

TCD

Howdy,

In my linked NV DMV document at the top of page 4 the following exemptions are listed; there may be additional exemptions in the NRS.

NV-DMV-Exp.jpg

The bottom line for me is that it was worth the time for me to talk to several official sources to clearly understand my state's requirements for registering and operating my truck. The rumor mill was dangerously inaccurate in my case. And since every truck/owner/use could be different I suggest that your needs may not exactly fit my situation.

As for the issue of different state laws I believe this has become a much more complex issue in recent years due to conflicting marriage and labor laws etc.. There are certainly lots of federal regulations that address transportation and driver's licensing issues. However legal questions are way above my pay grade!

For your personal gratification you could start here: 49 C.F.R. 383

Good luck!

And remember... As is so often said "Ignorance of the law is no excuse"!

YMMV...

Tom

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was taught in CDL classes that a CDL isn't needed for any commercial vehicle used for non commercial use.
I have been saying that for several years here on the site, but I have only said it for Ohio. It's in the exemption section of the law here in the Buckeye state.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone checked into any exceptions to any of these requirements - namely for Farmers? In NY there are CDL and taxation exemptions ... Just a thought (if it helps in your particular situation)
Isn't going to help out with liabilities, if your not a farmer...

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought the feds took over the CDL requirements and just make the states enforce them. I live in Ohio and took my CDL training in WV and my test in Ohio. So what would NV say about a non resident passing through in an M931 with a 48' trailer and just a plain ol' noncommercial lisense? I was taught in CDL classes that a CDL isn't needed for any commercial vehicle used for non commercial use. I was talking to a guy that had a Pete semi-tractor with a noncommercial plate pulling a camper trailer working in the oilfields. (Can't remember what state he was from.) I usually support state's rights but the feds should control this better to eliminate the drama.
NV honors "reciprocity" with respect to DMV regs for each state. As long as you are legal in your state (i.e., non-commercial MV covered by DL regardless of weight), then you are OK in NV....if you are not required to have any special endorsements for your MV with a GVWR over 26,001-lbs in your state, then you are good to go in & through NV.

ETA: Non-Commercial Class A/B holders aren't required to maintain logbooks, aren't subject to hours of service requirements, and generally don't attract the attention of LEOs except in rare cases...I know at least one member here who is non-commercial but was put through the ringer by an over-reaching LEO several states away from me. The key with non-commercial is that NO currency changes hands as a result of the drive; so if you are receiving reimbursement for fuel while hauling non-commercial, you are now considered to be a commercial carrier.

One of the very first line of questionings I received during my application for Class A N/C was what I intended to use the license for; I explained my collection of antique Caterpillars as well as attending various classic truck & tractor shows around western states. I was then asked if there would be any prizes or purses during these shows, as this would constitute a commercial endeavor. Luckily I know my work, and this is never a possibility for my vehicles, so I successfully flew through this line of inquiry. There cannot be ANY possibility of you receiving any funds for your driving with a Non-Commercial driver's license in Nevada (I'm sure most other states are similar). You cannot receive reimbursements for fuel, miles, time, labor, etc... Your hauls can ONLY be done for personal purposes. You CAN transport your items/vehicles/equipment to/from events as long as you are not being paid for it; you can attend swap meets and buy/sell your stuff as long as you are not a vendor, personal use ONLY. You can transport other people's vehicles and equipment as a favor, as long as you are not being reimbursed in any way for this service....I have done so and when questioned I simply reply that I will be the operator and/or crew member on the equipment, and we are doing so as a hobby and for pure personal enjoyment.

I hope this makes sense; many Motor Carrier Enforcement LEOs have creative ways of inquiry to try to get you to admit that you are operating as a commercial carrier.

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct me if iam wrong but there is no air break endorsement for non commercial a and. B licence in nevada its included when you get the licence, J is the only endorsement for non commerical mostly for c licence people with big trailers.. judging from the Nevada DMV handbook you just posted. I know the regular commercial license has an air brake endorsement on license it's self
There is an air brake endorsement; it is incorporated with the Class A or B licensing, regardless if commercial or non-commercial.

Because of the long history of farming & ranching in NV, the Non-Commercial designation is primarily used for these folks to move their equipment from location to location legally.

The "J" endorsement is becoming an issue, as more and more pickups have towing abilities up to 30K-lbs (1-ton duallies in particular). So if you are a NV resident and tow a trailer over 10K-lbs GVWR (as listed on its data plate, whether civvy or MV), get the "J" endorsement. It's not hard, as long as you know how to back a trailer safely. Good peace of mind if you are involved in a collision/accident.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

First of all I want to apologize to silverstate55 for my surly tone in my reply to his initial message. I was in fact also wrong in my statement and silverstate55 was correct in his!

<SNIP>

Thanks again silverstate55 for keeping me from making a very bad mistake!

Tom
No apology necessary; you're a good man Tom, and I hope you are able to enjoy your truck for many years of trouble-free miles.

Thank you for posting the DL study guide; everything on the test is right inside that booklet.

HINT: Your drive tester may try to slyly block your passenger-side mirrors, most likely by a clipboard; look for this and politely ask them to lower the obstruction so that you can see (I replied during mine, "Pardon me, would you please lower your clipboard as I can't see my passenger-side mirrors. Thank you."). Also, be mindful during right/left turns, as larger vehicles are still expected to "maintain their lane" during turns while being tested; if you are making a left turn and there are two turn lanes, finish your turn in the same lane position as you started (if you are in right-hand lane of 2-lane left turn, finish turn in right-hand lane). Although this has been rescinded via NRS, DMV testers still want larger ("commercial-type") vehicles to remain as safe as possible, and don't want "cross-lane contamination" during turns.

All the information necessary for your pre-trip test is contained in the DL handbook you linked to for Non-Commercial Class A/B driver's licenses. Practice with your wife/significant-other so that you are comfortable going through your pre-trip check. From what I've been told, this is the biggest area of failing the drive tests.

NOTE: The air brake test for your endorsement is part of the drive test for your Class B; it is not a separate test. After Pre-Trip inspection, you will start up the engine and once air system is charged you will perform the Air Brake Test/Check. This has to be done before you ever start moving. Perform the steps EXACTLY as the DMV handbook explains it; this way you won't go wrong and will keep the tester happy. There are some very slight variations done by the commercial folks & Motor Carrier inspectors, but just stick with the method outlined in the DL handbook. During practice, have your "tester" check the printed manual (unless they're tech savvy & have a tablet or iPad handy; I'm old) as you perform the steps to ensure that you are getting it right. If you lived closer, I'd be happy to help you.... I like to over-prepare for tests/exams, so that way I'm not surprised and can sail through the tests.

Good luck, let us know when you get your Class B!! [thumbzup]

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more thing, Tom: I have also personally asked NHP Motor Carrier enforcement troopers about non-commercial inspections. I've been told almost to a man that they are primarily focused on commercial carriers, and not non-commercial. If you read between the lines in the DMV N/C DL handbook you linked to, you'll notice that a lot of factors are solely the responsibility of the licensed driver, such as getting proper rest before driving, not exceeding a safe amount of driving hours, and not being a danger to yourself nor anyone else around you on the roadways. Just because we aren't required to maintain a log book doesn't relieve us of the duty to drive responsibly and SAFELY (disclaimer I had to throw out here).

The troopers I regularly speak with & deal with all told me that as long as you are driving safely, and your vehicle looks to be in good repair, you should be OK and GTG. Tires are given a quick visual check to make sure that they are not ready to blow, major leaks are checked for, and proper light operation are the 3 biggies I've heard. I underwent a "Snap Test" on my Deuce once, as someone called in to the DMV about it smoking "excessively" once; you are allowed up to 40% on the "Opacity" test, and I came in at just over 15%. Probably not a problem for you, Tom, unless you drive around Washoe County where the more sensitive types live and are more likely to report you to the DMV. So unless you have your fuel turned up big-time & roll coal on a regular basis, you shouldn't have anything to worry about there.

Pay particular attention to requirements for weigh stations & inspection stations; in California, ALL vehicles with 3 axles are required to pull through weigh stations and are subject to inspection...I've always been waved through, but that doesn't mean it will happen every time. I always anticipate being inspected, in case it actually happens. California also enacted new requirements for non-commercial vehicles over 26,001-lbs in January, so be sure to brush up on these before driving in that state.

At the AZ/UT border, I've been directed in to these scales/inspection stations twice; once northbound, once southbound. Both times I was waved in for an inspection; but as I wandered into the office with my paperwork in hand, I looked completely lost, and when I explained that I was non-commercial, the staff laughed every time. They verified my paperwork that I was non-commercial, and told me that as such I don't even need to stop in at all. I wrote down their names just in case, but since then I simply bypass the stations and I've never had any issues with troopers. Does it mean that the next time I pass by I won't be stopped? Of course not, and I will explain as before about my non-commercial status, as well as specific signage that only states "commercial" vehicles are required to pull in.

Hope this helps.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NV honors "reciprocity" with respect to DMV regs for each state. As long as you are legal in your state (i.e., non-commercial MV covered by DL regardless of weight), then you are OK in NV....if you are not required to have any special endorsements for your MV with a GVWR over 26,001-lbs in your state, then you are good to go in & through NV.
Warren,

It is my opinion that the reciprocity exists everywhere, but I have yet to nail that down completely in terms of finding it within the law of each state. I have only looked at the states I am likely to travel in, as well. Nevada is one of the few that has an excellent mention of it in the Nevada Revised Statutes -

"NRS §483.240  Exemptions from licensing.  The following persons are exempt from license under the provisions of NRS 483.010 to 483.630, inclusive:

3. A nonresident who is at least 16 years of age and who has in his or her immediate possession a valid license issued to the person in his or her home state or country may drive a motor vehicle in this State of the type or class the person may operate in that home state or country."

Other states do not have such clear wording.

...The key with non-commercial is that NO currency changes hands as a result of the drive; so if you are receiving reimbursement for fuel while hauling non-commercial, you are now considered to be a commercial carrier.

One of the very first line of questionings I received during my application for Class A N/C was what I intended to use the license for; I explained my collection of antique Caterpillars as well as attending various classic truck & tractor shows around western states. I was then asked if there would be any prizes or purses during these shows, as this would constitute a commercial endeavor. Luckily I know my work, and this is never a possibility for my vehicles, so I successfully flew through this line of inquiry. There cannot be ANY possibility of you receiving any funds for your driving with a Non-Commercial driver's license in Nevada (I'm sure most other states are similar). You cannot receive reimbursements for fuel, miles, time, labor, etc... Your hauls can ONLY be done for personal purposes. You CAN transport your items/vehicles/equipment to/from events as long as you are not being paid for it; you can attend swap meets and buy/sell your stuff as long as you are not a vendor, personal use ONLY. You can transport other people's vehicles and equipment as a favor, as long as you are not being reimbursed in any way for this service....I have done so and when questioned I simply reply that I will be the operator and/or crew member on the equipment, and we are doing so as a hobby and for pure personal enjoyment.

I hope this makes sense; many Motor Carrier Enforcement LEOs have creative ways of inquiry to try to get you to admit that you are operating as a commercial carrier.
While I try to shy away from the aforementioned "rumor mill" and ultimately have no way to provide any truth to the following info, a friend of mine has had occasion to use his military vehicles to move equipment for a museum and was told by his lawyer, the museum, perhaps their lawyers, etc that he could be reimbursed for fuel, food, lodging, vehicle maintenance, etc and remain non-commercial because there is indeed a difference between reimbursement of costs incurred and straight up for-profit operation. I have come across other things that would lead me to believe that this might also be the case. The FMCSA's website has a nice "guidance question" area and has the following about the § 390.3(f)(3) FMCSR exception. -

"Question 21: Does the exemption in § 390.3(f)(3) for the ‘‘occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise’’ apply to persons who occasionally use CMVs to transport cars, boats, horses, etc., to races, tournaments, shows or similar events, even if prize money is offered at these events?

Guidance: The exemption would apply to this kind of transportation, provided: (1) The underlying activities are not undertaken for profit, i.e., (a) prize money is declared as ordinary income for tax purposes, and (b) the cost of the underlying activities is not deducted as a business expense for tax purposes; and, where relevant; (2) corporate sponsorship is not involved. Drivers must confer with their State of licensure to determine the licensing provisions to which they are subject."

To me, this is almost a straight up "If the IRS doesn't think you're commercial, neither do we" attitude, and is nice to see on the Federal level. However, this is just one guidance question answer in regards to one particular part of one regulation, and on the Federal level, not a particular state. What I am interested in seeking out is written law in various states about different subjects related to our use of military vehicles. Certainly, what you're saying about reimbursement invalidating any claims on non-commerical use is something that "everyone knows," but I want to find it in writing. I want to move things that "everyone knows" out of realm of just being repeated to what can be cited in the law. I don't have an answer to this (yet) and it very well probably is the kind of thing where roadside law enforcement can be subject to interpretation.

There is an air brake endorsement; it is incorporated with the Class A or B licensing, regardless if commercial or non-commercial.

Because of the long history of farming & ranching in NV, the Non-Commercial designation is primarily used for these folks to move their equipment from location to location legally.

The "J" endorsement is becoming an issue, as more and more pickups have towing abilities up to 30K-lbs (1-ton duallies in particular). So if you are a NV resident and tow a trailer over 10K-lbs GVWR (as listed on its data plate, whether civvy or MV), get the "J" endorsement. It's not hard, as long as you know how to back a trailer safely. Good peace of mind if you are involved in a collision/accident.
On Nevada's CDL, is there an air brake endorsement? Or is it a restriction? In Arizona, there is no air brake endorsment, only an air brake restriction. It might seem like minutiae, but I think there is an important difference in most cases.

This article says what I would say better than I could - http://illinoistruckcops.org/?p=758

(EDIT - Above link no longer works, but this is the text of the article pasted below -)

"Legendary golfer Arnold Palmer once said “golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated”. Many times when confronted with understanding a dynamic concept, our brain over-complicates things. Instead of just standing back and looking at the big picture, we make a puzzle out of it and try to fit pieces into places they do not belong. A common place to see this manifested is figuring how airbrakes play into commercial driver’s licenses.

Braking is obviously a critical system on heavy trucks. Those who are going to drive trucks requiring CDL’s need to demonstrate their ability to understand these systems in a vehicle representative to what they will be driving in the real world…and herein lies the confusion.

It is not uncommon to hear someone say “that truck has airbrakes…you need a CDL to operate it” or “you can’t drive that truck without an airbrake endorsement”. Both of these statements are incorrect. Airbrakes do not make a truck CDL worthy and there is no such thing as an airbrake endorsement.

If a driver desires a Class-B CDL, he will need to test in a representative straight truck. If he wants to obtain his Class-A, then he will need to test in a representative combination of vehicles. But he is NOT required to test in vehicles with airbrakes. However, if the testing vehicles are representative of the class of CDL desired, but neither vehicle has airbrakes, the Secretary of State will put an “L” restriction on the license.

Here’s an example: picture a large 2-axle dump truck commonly used by landscapers that only requires a Class-C non-CDL license…like an International 4700 series. Sometimes these trucks pull larger tag trailers that now put the combination in the Class-A CDL category…yet neither vehicle has airbrakes. A potential CDL driver can use this combination of vehicles to test for his Class-A CDL. If he is successful, he will obtain his Class-A with the “L” restriction. However, he cannot use his new found CDL to drive other CDL vehicles that have airbrakes simply because he has a CDL. If he would like to lift the “L” restriction and lawfully operate a CDL worthy truck with airbrakes, he must go back to the SOS and pass a battery of tests in a representative vehicle to prove his operational knowledge.

The “L” restriction for airbrakes only applies when the CDL holder is operating a vehicle requiring a CDL. There are trucks manufactured with airbrakes that do not require a CDL at all. In these cases, a CDL holder with an “L” restriction may operate this vehicle because the restriction does not apply.

Why is this an issue deserving discussion? In the event a driver is operating a CDL vehicle without a being classified or endorsed properly, the Illinois Vehicle Code prescribes a misdemeanor charge (625 ILCS 5/6-507-A-3). Many local police departments require officers to make a custodial arrest of the driver for misdemeanor traffic offenses. This may include towing and impounding the truck, fingerprinting, mug shots, and assignment of criminal State and Federal ID numbers. That is big deal. However, if a CDL driver is indeed violating an airbrake restriction, it is only a petty offense (625 ILCS 5/6-113).

A minor traffic offense can easily become an unlawful arrest situation due to a lack of understanding. There’s no need to complicate things."

This is an additional article that has a similar stance -

I will paste the text of the article here in case this new link goes bad at some point in the future as well -

"CDL Clarification - Air Brake Restriction

There has been some confusion as to whether a CDL is required when driving a truck with air brakes. The CDL is NOT required unless the vehicle has a GVWR or a GCWR of 26,001 lbs. or more; is designed to transport 16 or more passengers (including the driver); or hauls hazardous materials requiring placards. For example, a person can drive a straight truck with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 (under 26,001 lbs.) with air brakes, and no CDL is required. The "air brake" reference is commonly thought of as an "endorsement". It is NOT an endorsement, but rather a "restriction" that states if an applicant either fails the air brake component of the knowledge test, or performs the skills test in a vehicle not equipped with air brakes, the State shall indicate on the CDL that the person is restricted from operating a CMV equipped with air brakes. As further clarification, the regulations REQUIRING a CDL do NOT include any reference to air brakes; they only require a CDL for a vehicle in the following categories (§383.91 Commercial motor vehicle groups):

(a)(1) Combination vehicle (Group A) -- Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).

(a)(2) Heavy Straight Vehicle (Group B) -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) GVWR.

(a)(3) Small Vehicle (Group C) -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that meets neither the definition of Group A nor Group B, as contained in this section, but that either is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, or is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act and which require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR part 172, subpart F)."

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are all good points; I prefer the "gray areas" as by default it is supposed to favor the defendant. Most of the non-commercial laws tend to be pretty gray and open to some interpretation. DMV employees interpret a law or ruling one way, and enforcement (troopers) may interpret it another way. I was just trying to pass along my experiences to Tom when he goes to the DMV for his Class B test, as most of our DMV Motor Carrier employees tend to interpret our laws in the manner I explained. I searched & searched everything I could find about non-commercial uses and licensing for NV drivers, yet couldn't find anything about the stipulation banning ALL non-commercial purposes, specifically vehicle shows with prizes/purses. When I pressed my DMV drive tester about this, she flatly told me that this was the way they were directed to interpret "non-commercial" from the Director in Carson City. It seems to be a purely administrative ruling versus a legislative ruling (legislative can be enforced by LEOs; administrative is referred to DMV Hearing Master).

Same goes for the lane change decision; our state laws had been changed to allow motor vehicles to turn into any travel lane as long as it is safe to do so; yet the Motor Carrier testers are rigid in their views on heavy vehicles being driven safely, and choose to hold large, heavy vehicles to the old standard of "maintaining your travel lane" and disallowing "cross-lane contamination." No worries.

As you pointed out, laws vary state to state. The member I mentioned earlier was singled out by a DOT enforcement officer who sounds like a real piece of work, and put this member through the ringer. It also sounds like he stepped over the line several times and should be held accountable (as I advised the member to do, including travelling back to contest the charges and other remedies). This member & I have had several lengthy conversations about encounters with LEOs, and it seems that he tends to attract the ones who I like to refer to as the "exceptions to the rule." I always try to prepare for the possibility of being put through the ringer, and always try to dot my "I"s and cross my "T"s so to speak, just in case. While I've hauled items for other members, I always keep my receipts just in case I have to show that I paid for everything myself and was just doing a favor for a friend, as part of our mutual hobby.

Another member posted a couple of years ago about his purchase of a tank, and while having it transported across northern Nevada, the carrier was stopped by an NHP trooper who freaked out about the dummy rounds being inside the turret. I sent that member a PM about definite remedies to recoup his expenses and how to go about it, but never heard how it turned out (other than seeing the pics when the tank was finally delivered).

You know better than most of us about these experiences, and your posts/threads are always insightful for the rest of us. Operating a vehicle over 26k-lbs is a tremendous responsibility, and things can take a turn for the worse very quickly if we're not careful.

Commercial carriers do have the right to be concerned about a non-commercial operator potentially trying to skirt the laws and do business without the proper licensing, bonding, and insurance. There are many members here with CDLs who jump through lots of hoops and deal with many hassles in order to make a living; I dont' want to take that away from them at all.

As for the driver's licenses in Nevada, there is no formal listing of air brakes on the DL; it is incorporated into the classification of Class A/B, whether commercial or non-commercial. Actual Endorsements cover HazMat, Doubles, Triples, etc... for commercial carriers. There ARE restrictions though, such as Automatic Transmissions (Weight Only).

It's nice to have a relationship with a lawyer who has such interpretations for reimbursements! Hopefully that never has to get tested in court.

Last edited:

Nomadic

ETA: Non-Commercial Class A/B holders aren't required to maintain logbooks, aren't subject to hours of service requirements, and generally don't attract the attention of LEOs except in rare cases...I know at least one member here who is non-commercial but was put through the ringer by an over-reaching LEO several states away from me. The key with non-commercial is that NO currency changes hands as a result of the drive; so if you are receiving reimbursement for fuel while hauling non-commercial, you are now considered to be a commercial carrier.

This is interesting information. I want to drive a 5-ton into the country (Nevada), work on my laptop and make money under a business (licensed in NV). Because I would be making money, the state wants a commercial drivers license. Does that sound right?

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is interesting information. I want to drive a 5-ton into the country (Nevada), work on my laptop and make money under a business (licensed in NV). Because I would be making money, the state wants a commercial drivers license. Does that sound right?
If the truck is associated with or an integral part of your doing business, then YES....GVWR over 26K-lbs used for business, requires CDL.

Sublime8396

Hey everyone sorry to bring up an older post but can't find a definite answer. I'm looking at an m813a1 and thought I was good to go but someone just told me I can't drive it with my class C ?!?!? It looks like registering it won't be a problem but now is my class c a problem? Should I walk away and find a deuce?

wcuhillbilly

each state is different. and the answer that your going to be held to is the one at the DMV in your local area... threads about skirting the law or regs are often closed or disappear. If your new to this and don't really have a use for the truck aside from tinkering with it in the backyard on Saturday afternoon with a couple buddys and a case of beer,----aka the coolness factor,,,, then go cut your teeth on a deuce. they will be a lot more versatile to the average joe wanting an oversized pick up truck for the weekend run to the dump or hauling something that would destroy the pickup.. also if mods is your forte, then you can modify a deuce driveline with more options cheaper than a 5 ton. and you don't have to change your license or fight with the insurance or DMV nearly as bad.

TCD

Hey everyone sorry to bring up an older post but can't find a definite answer. I'm looking at an m813a1 and thought I was good to go but someone just told me I can't drive it with my class C ?!?!? It looks like registering it won't be a problem but now is my class c a problem? Should I walk away and find a deuce?
Howdy,

I do not know about driving a Deuce in NV. However, I have personally verified the information that I posted in #22 of this thread relative to legally driving a 5 Ton (in my case a 923-a2) in the State of NV. You can verify the information by speaking with someone at the NV DMV, NV Highway Patrol and your insurance agent.

I am studying for the NV Class "B" license and the "Air Brakes" test at this time and I will not drive on the public streets until I have passed the required written and driving tests.

Tom

Jeeperjoe

From my understanding it is all dependent on how the truck is registered, if it is tagged under 26000lbs gvwr you can drive it without a class B licence with or without air brake restriction (no such thing as an endorsement). here is the grey area from my understanding, the vehicle is marked on the dash (a 923 is anyway) at 32000lbs gvwr, if you get a LEO who goes by that i question that you can be fined and taken off the street. the truck i am buying (m923) has been tagged at under 26000lbs so one should be good to drive said vehicle so long as you do NOT exceed the 26000lb limit on the tags if you do you are running into possible HUGE fines, the trick is to talk to the DMV be honest and tell them what you intend to do and see what they say, key words tag at 26000 lbs not over and non commercial use (parade show etc) see what they tell you. I choose to run in the grey area where my truck was sold as under 26000 lbs and i do not plan to every load over that or use for intra or interstate commerce of ANY KIND. hopefully this is of some use to you and good luck

as for a deuce they are under 26000 lbs (i think 16000-18000) and you are totally fine to drive it there with out a CDL (used to have a class B in nevada)

what should be done?

Be honest, register it at the GVWR placed by the MFGR at 32000lbs (in my case) get a class B CDL and normal 32000lbs gvwr tags and insurance and pay the piper on taxes... or register as a collector vehicle and drive under the restrictions placed by the NV DMV (weekends, shows, repair runs, etc...) this way you are covered on all bases and can not get into any trouble with the truck.

Good luck and let us know what the DMV tells you

Last edited:

TCD

Howdy,

I don't any way to say it in a simpler form but the facts are facts so I will try one last time. In NV the law is very clear and all of the people responsible for enforcing the law said the same thing to me three times in three different meetings.

1) If you are involved in an accident the truck's data plate is the only information that will be used in determining the laws that apply to the operation of the truck and the operator of the truck (assuming it is not an issue of being over weight). This also applies if you happen to get inspected for some reason.

2) Typically there is a clause in most insurance coverage contracts that stipulates that the vehicle must be lawfully operated. If the truck has not been legally operated or if it has been operated by an unqualified operator the insurance underwriter is usually relieved of any liability. I believe, in case of an accident, that you might be very vulnerable to a potentially life changing lawsuit and the NV DMV could be the least of your problems.

3) In NV the annual GVW weight is a road tax and allows your truck to weight the amount you have paid for on the public highways. The NV DMV GVW has nothing to do with licensing of the operator. You can change the NV GVW anytime for a fee and the GVW can be up to the maximum data plate GVW.

Now I understand that this is an inconvenient set of facts and many will not like to hear what I'm saying. However, in my case I have already learned many things about the operation of my truck by studying for the Class "B" and air brake exams. I will be a better operator and much safer as a result of studying for my Class "B" and air brake exams.

As a person who has never driven anything near as large and complex as my 5 Ton I had no idea of many of the correct procedures relating to the operation of my truck. Yes I could start, drive maneuver and park my truck but it was only my good fortune and timely comments by "Silverstate55" that kept me from a potentially life changing error.

Each individual has to decide what path they want to take. Personally I find that getting a NV Class "B" license is much simpler that what would be involved if there was ever a problem when I was operating my truck without the correct operator's license and subsequently no insurance. The NV Class "B" license test (including air brakes) is not difficult nor does it have to be renewed annually nor is a physical required.

I'm really not trying to argue with anyone about these facts as they apply to NV and everyone should really explore this issue themselves in their state for their truck. I wish all of you the best of luck in what ever path you choose.

Over and Out!
Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks