• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nevada TO Mississippi VIA I40 recovery M925A1 checklist REVIEW BY SS

denelec06

I will be getting my truck from Nevada and driving to Missippi. I have attached a checklist and inspection sheet for SS memeber to review. PLEASE correct anything you see and feel free to add anything. I will be shadowing I 40 on this trip and would appreciate any SS member along the route to let me know if I can contact them in emergency. Travel date starts Las Vegas February 19th. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

commandojeff

Very well put together list so far my friend. Welcome to the site.

For your hand tools category. Bring some tools for electrical things. Maybe even a way to solder if needed. Along with electrical tape.

And plenty of cash just in case.

Oh and don't forget some smiles :-D

M715VFD405

I'm on I-40 in Weatherford OK. You can contact me if you get into trouble in this area or if you just need to take a break. Good luck on your recovery and keep us posted :)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So your heading west from Vegas on I-40 and turning south at Amarillo and heading thru Dallas on your way along I-20 to Wesson, just south of Jackson. Got it.

There are a few guys along the way.

Good luck on your journey.

wsucougarx

Great list!
I would add an IR Temp Gun w/extra batteries
Large Flashlight
Rags (You'll need to keep your windshield dry if it rains) Rain will hit you in the face despite having everything closed.
Spare 24v Cummins Fuel Shut off Solenoid
Emergency adjustable belt for a field expedited belt (water pump belt). As the water belt will take hours to change in the field if you have one.
If I think of more, I'd just add onto this post.

denelec06

Warthog HEADING EASTERLY from Vegas I plan to enjoy the trip back take is slow stay off I40. I will certainly keep things updated here to progress. I will try to locate IR gun, do you have P/N for the fuel shutoff SOL? How common is it that the shut off fails? GOT the belt FENNER brand. What do you guys think about driving at night? At 55 mph and the route I have planned for the return trip is 1804 Miles I probably will need to drive some at night if possible. I figure at least 40 hours of travel time. Any one know what tool removes the oil pan drain? Plug for axel and xansfer case oil checks? I have it that the lugs are 1 1/2

commandojeff

Warthog HEADING EASTERLY from Vegas I plan to enjoy the trip back take is slow stay off I40. I will certainly keep things updated here to progress. I will try to locate IR gun, do you have P/N for the fuel shutoff SOL? How common is it that the shut off fails? GOT the belt FENNER brand. What do you guys think about driving at night? At 55 mph and the route I have planned for the return trip is 1804 Miles I probably will need to drive some at night if possible. I figure at least 40 hours of travel time. Any one know what tool removes the oil pan drain? Plug for axel and xansfer case oil checks? I have it that the lugs are 1 1/2
Driving at night is not a problem at all... If the headlights and taillights/brake lights work... I have done two 939 recoveries and both had some kind of electrical issue to cause lights to not work. If the lights work, keep going into the night. If they don't, get them fixed or get a hotel for the night.

I'm pretty sure the oil pan plug is a half inch drive just like the axle and TC plugs, if my memory serves me right. (poorman4x4 beat me to it)

Jeff

Barfkiller

I agree with Commandojeff, some electrical fixin's are nice to have. I had to perform minor surgery on my trucks battery and start/run/stop switches to get it started. Extra batteries for the camera so we can have lots of pics!! Take a fresh credit card and enjoy the adventure!

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll let you know what I find when I check it out either tomorrow or Thursday...as soon as I can break away from work to check.

hankstrucks

My buddy drove a 9 series tractor back from Nelluis air base just before labor day last summer The problem he had was the wrong injectors in the truck, it started and ran but not well under load. With help from ss members he was on the road. The truck had very low miles less than. 500 it came from the national gaurd unit . He told me to always check fluids and read any paper work left in cab. Do not be rushed out the gate by the goverment lquedation rep. Once your out the gate get fuel go slow and easy to a fuel spot and look for any leaks . Axle seals might show leaks, if you needed a jump get to smaller batteries and some cheap tool set from wallmart. Drive around town get a feel that the truck is o,k, once you head out on the highway it will be pricy to get back off the highway, my bud drove with no plates all the way home to n,y, so that will not be a issue if you drive safe. You will only cover 50 miles of road each hour so get a pillow for you ass and bring a iPod. Get fuel in each tank but never run them both down to nothing, You might pick up crap in the bottom . Most of the trucks on that base are rebuilt so you will be fine the lights will work when you get fuel let the truck run. No one will steal it if the battery's are low you will cause more problems trying to get a jump on a 24 volt rig with that drawing un wanted attention. My buddie drove the same route from Vegas to see Jeff Davis in miss. Then to Bruce k. In Maryland then to Long Island. N. Y. That guy has always been hard core he also drove a truck back from the air base in Utah in the end of winter in 2009.

3200 miles total and if the truck has a soft top bring a new one because the sun out there cooks the stitching in the heat out there and if it comes apart by the wind shield as they always due you are in for a cold ride. Be safe enjoy the ride for all it is worth Hank

hankstrucks

Weather you drive at nite or during the day that is no real thing one way or another . The truck will be fine just do not forget starting fluid if you go into realy cold area. If you use GPS just wire it to a 12 volt battery that you buy it from a store in the area. You will not be able to make repairs on the high way so easy so just bring money and get the simple stuFf like watef flash lite. If you have a computer bring it it will get you the info you need and give you access to s s site to find help The trucks are good over there. Very dry and super clean trucks no rust issues. Hank

denelec06

Thank you everyone. As you can see from my supply list I should be well stocked and ready for minor repairs. I do plan on changing the oil at the first oportunity and also add lucas treatment. Silverstate55 will be giving me update on condition THANKS MR WARREN! I will be carrying the equipment to tie into the 12V system for GPS etc. GOOD information on the injectors I followed that post certainly hope that is not an issue here. Was very cool how everyone kept up with the 3500MILE run and helped in everyway. I have the number to the cummins dealer in Vegas that silverstate55 posted. Thanks again men. I will be starting my trip Sunday night the 17th and will keep things updated. Should I start a new thread and on which forum OR keep things on this thread for the entirety of the trip? My only thing is I do not know the number to a tow company because I could be in any location at any time. My hope is that if there is an issue I can get it to a location to park and request and lowboy to bring the remaing trip home. I have a pintle receiver for my Duramax if I had a TOW BAR I could cage the breaks and pull to an exit ramp or safe location? Anyone along I40 close to Mississippi have a tow bar for rent or sale? I will drop back off on my return trip?

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everything looks great on the truck: fluids are all where they need to be, and the fuel tank has over 1/2-tank of diesel in it...I could see the bottom of the fuel tank clearly, no gunk or sludge noticeable. Tires are all holding air, no sign of forklift damage at all, all lights work (front turn signals are LEDs), turn signals work, air pressure builds up to 90psi in about 90 seconds, and it drives/reverses GREAT.

VIN checks out as an exact match, truck fires right up. Batteries look good, except for one ground cable where the insulation has pulled back from the terminal end...you'll want to replace that when you get home. But I did some random cell checks and the electrolyte looks topped off in all the ones I checked. Wipers both work, all fans & the defroster work, the interior is in great shape, the undercarriage & chassis look FANTASTIC! No leaks were noted either. Truck appears to be very complete.

Dang, now I want one!

After shutting the engine down & turning the batteries off, I drained all the air tanks...NO moisture/sludge/gunk came out of any of the drain valves, just air. Be sure to close these when you arrive on Tuesday, I left them open.

Nice truck!

The only things that caught my attention were both forward rear tires (Goodyears): the tread is worn but no noticeable cracks/weatherchecking/cuts/etc. I think they'll be fine, just keep an eye on them. The left rear Michelin XL is a bit worn & chunked, but should also be OK.

I made a short video of the gauges with the engine running: http://www.youtube.com/embed/bZfRQD4rHs0

Here are some pics of the rear tires:
IMG-20130214-01.jpg IMG-20130214-01a.jpg

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

jarhead1086

Thanks for the list. I am gathering things for my first recovery of a 923 from Barstow to Utah here this week sometime. I would like to get 1400-20's on it to speed things up, but the 11R's look really good in the pictures and there are 10 of them. I noticed in the pictures that the rear axle had a leak out of the hub, so I hope its just a plugged vent like I have seen on my Deuce before. You have more guts than me going that many miles.

hankstrucks

Seal might be dry from it siting a while. Get some 90 Weight and some cheap tools if you have to add oil.

Better to run duals on the ride home. When the trucks are sitting for some times the o rings leak and it really sucks to change flat on a super single on the high way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks