• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New! 2009 GA Rally Multimedia Thread

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added what I know in red!

Ok, this is the first chance I have gotten to work on a list of attendees. I will add this to my initial post in this thread as well. If anyone wants their real name removed, PM me and I will remove it and only use your screen name. If I missed you, please PM me and let me know so I can add you.

SS username -- Vehicle brought to rally

Speddmon -- Rode w/Gimpy!
Doghead, DHwife -- Civvy pickup (went home with M274A5!)
MDMorgan -- M35A2
SCSG-G4 -- M35A2 & MKT
Gimpyrobb -- M35A2
Jerry's buddy Mike -- Civvy pickup
Jerry's G/F -- Rode w/Jerry and Mike!
JW4x4 -- M1009
Bob130AB -- Civvy BMW bike
Poppop -- M813 & M35A2
Phil2968 -- M109
Recovry4x4 -- M35A2 & M1008
CARNAC -- M1009
BFR -- M185A3 w/Knuckleboom & M105
AM General -- M54A1 & M35A2C
Ferroequineologist & wife-- M109A3
Big Case -- M35A2 & M105A2
Clintogf -- M35A2 & M105A2
Clinto -- M274A5 & M38A1
Wreckerman893 -- M109A3 & trailer
TaylorTradingCy -- M109A3 & trailer
Timntrucks & Wife -- Civvy pickup & military trailer
Squirt Truck -- M54A2, M274A5, M37
1958M274 -- Gama Goat!
Sevo & G/F -- not sure what they brought
Pjpiche1 --M35A2 w/ custom bed
Jason (Pjpiche1's brother) -- M35A2
Chris (not sure of username) -- M35A2 bobbed
MitchG -- not sure if he brought anything
JWaller -- not sure if he brought anything HMMWV and M101A1
Bob Dotson -- not sure if he brought anything
????? -- M151 & #7 wrecker hoist on civvy truck ChevyC60 is his screen name. Roy and Donna
Scooter01522 -- N/A
Salafrae -- N/A
Salafrae's Dad -- N/A
HndrsonJ -- M274A5 (sold to DH & DHW!) Also had his M35A2 there
Twright -- not sur eif he brought anything
neilhendrix M35A2 & M109 camper trailer
dumpster -- Rode w/Squirt Truck
David* N/A Camper (official rally vendor)
tennmogger -- Unimog
Bronco4x4 -- M35A2

*I am so embarrassed, I can't remember this fellas name

I am adding this here (and edited to add them in my original post on page 2) the people who helped Mike and Richard with the MKT. Tim's wonderful wife Pam, Mahala Morgan (MDMorgan's wife and a skilled Deuce driver in her own right), Poppop, Phillip, SEVO and his G/F Stephanie (Hope I am getting all this right) and a few others (if you are one of these folks please PM me your name so I can get you the recognition you deserve).

Thanks to all who brought firewood-looks like we had enough people donate wood so that we had some left over. That means if everyone brings the same amount of wood next year we can have a really big fire! :p Phillip, MDMorgan, Poppop, BFR, et al.

You folks are the best. So many people have thanked Dawn and I for the rally and honestly, you people did all the hard work of making the rally so great.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK, vehicle total for rally:

HMMWV x 1
M274A5 x 3
M35A2 x 14
MKT x 1
M1009 x 2
M813 x 1
M109 x 5 + Neil's 109 camper
M1008 x 1
M185A3 x 2 (BFR's boom truck is one of them)
M54 x 2
M38A1 x 2
M37 x 1
M151 x 2
GamaGoat x 1
Unimog x 1
M1028A1 x 1

This gives us a total of............................

40 vehicles and this doesn't even count trailers (Dawn had a 105, Gimpy had a 105 and bunch of others, BFR had a 105, etc.).

If you count trailers we probably cleared 50 vehicles at our rally! :-D

Last edited:

butch atkins

GA rally

great fun,bought a few items talked to a few people,stayed at the Feed Barn at the plantation,brought 4 friends along,maybe someone will remember us,tan M35 with 395s on it,red jeep,yellow jeep,and the weird looking jeep cherokee w camo paint job, deer antlers on the hood,and the back torched off.We went everywhere you guys on the trail ride went + some,went on all 5 of the truck trails,went back sat night and did the Grand Canyon at night in Jakes M35 and the 3 jeeps we brought,told my friends we would be welcome.WRONG,got treated like we had an STD,no one there welcomed us ,spoke to us ,or even acknowledged our presence.As an SS member I was pretty PO about this ,I posted about being there ,where i was staying,and had parts for sale if anyone was interested,we brought 3 jeeps and 1 M35,5 people. I guess you just have to know the right people.And my friend with the M35 went where no one else would on the trails.It was a great trail ride .and my friends and I had a good time ,but the response from the SS people was a bit underwhelming.Like Arnold,"I'll be back",but i dont think my friends will.Really guys, dont look down on someone just because they dont have an MV at a rally,or they drive something that is not MV

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Dang, that was Jwaller!? I should have known when I saw those tent poles. :roll: Sorry I didn't have time to stop over and say hey.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
great fun,bought a few items talked to a few people,stayed at the Feed Barn at the plantation,brought 4 friends along,maybe someone will remember us,tan M35 with 395s on it,red jeep,yellow jeep,and the weird looking jeep cherokee w camo paint job, deer antlers on the hood,and the back torched off.We went everywhere you guys on the trail ride went + some,went on all 5 of the truck trails,went back sat night and did the Grand Canyon at night in Jakes M35 and the 3 jeeps we brought,told my friends we would be welcome.WRONG,got treated like we had an STD,no one there welcomed us ,spoke to us ,or even acknowledged our presence.As an SS member I was pretty PO about this ,I posted about being there ,where i was staying,and had parts for sale if anyone was interested,we brought 3 jeeps and 1 M35,5 people. I guess you just have to know the right people.And my friend with the M35 went where no one else would on the trails.It was a great trail ride .and my friends and I had a good time ,but the response from the SS people was a bit underwhelming.Like Arnold,"I'll be back",but i dont think my friends will.Really guys, dont look down on someone just because they dont have an MV at a rally,or they drive something that is not MV
Let me be the first to apologize Butch. I would like to say that I strongly doubt that many of the rally participants would have looked down on your friends for not having an MV with them. They may simply not have realized that they were part of the rally group. I know I had a hard time keeping up with who was with us at times so I am probably also partly guilty. With over 40 vehicles and easily over 100 people, I know I simply couldn't keep all the members and vehicles straight. I hope your friends accept my humble apologies if they feel they were slighted by our group.

I didn't see any M35A2Cs listed. I know there was at least 3!
I didn't break the dropsides out, I put them with the M35A2's.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Butch,
I remember the tan M35, but not the faces that went with it. Did any of your group eat at the MKT? That is where a lot of the talk took place (and after dark, around the fire). If you didn't participate in those group activities, you missed out a lot of the bonding. I was there in 2008 in a blue Toyota Corolla and was welcomed, even drove the Toyota to the VA rally in Sept and everyone there treated me like family or better.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Butch,

I'm sorry that you and your friends got snubbed, I don't think anybody would intentionally do that to someone just because they didn't have an MV with them. Honestly, I don't even remember seeing a tan deuce with 395's on it, or any of the jeeps you described.

gimpyrobb

I know, just giving you a hard time. I don't know if it was mentioned, but we had a vendor show that was not affiliated with SS. He had great stuff at great prices. He also almost crapped himself when riding with Poppop up that hill! He said he will be joining the site and bring his truck next year. WOOHOO! Welcome to the "club". :-D

gimpyrobb

Butch, had I seen you guys I would have been more than happy to welcome and drink some with you. When did yall show up? Saturday was a pack up the trucks day for alot of us. I was very down that I couldn't go for trail rides on Sat, but I had to make sure I got my stuff and things promised for others ready to come back to Cincy. I feel bad that you think you were snubbed.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Didn't see any of the CAMO Group (from Columbus, Georgia) listed Clinto.

Troy Ohler (favviking)
Tony Perry
Dion Lamb
Lisa Lamb
Steve Giessen
Leanne Giessen
Ben Lowery
Mark3395
They brought the M151A2 FAV, M185A3 camper, M38A1, M109A3 and M1028A1.

They tend to be low keyed without the bear

Attachments

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hmmm...I think for next year's Rally the gate should be guarded on each side by a Guntruck and everyone who enters will submit a pre printed form (or complete it at the gate) stating name of SS member(s) guests, vehicles brought etc., for information purposes only:idea:

I would hate to have clinto/CGF's job and try to not forget anyone and hurt their feelings after the fact thru ommission.

Maybe a "detachments" list should be made...IE;...Mess team included Mr and Ms...XYZ and helpers were...Mr and Ms 1234.

A "detachment" could be assigned for each major event/task and an MFIC be assigned...or volunteer to head each detachment.

All detachment MFICs would answer to the CMFIC...Clinto.

OK...this perfect plan comes from a feller that couldn't even make the rally...but we were well represented...LOL
LOOK OUT NEXT YEAR;-)

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Last Video from me - BFR making Gimpy's triple stack of trailers!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjDOOrcWLQE[/media]
It should be noted that I actually performed very little manual labor... the guys climbing up and down & securing that stuff did all the "work" IMO

pjpiche1

Butch, I am sorry you guys feel you were not welcome. This is just my observation. I was there for the whole event. I saw your truck several times in passing on the road. Your truck was brought up in conversation at the event several times in the form of "I wonder who's deuce that is sitting over at the red barn?". I only noticed your truck at the "compound" one time for a very short period of time. How are we supposed to recognize you when you and your friends did not make yourselves part of the event. There were several people at the event that did not have an mv. We found trucks to put them in, so, they could go on the trails with us. We even had some of the dirt bike group go with us on rides and hang out at the bonfire. A lady that brought her son down to durhamtown to ride his motocross bike, baked us 2 cakes for sat. lunch. The cakes were still warm. They were gone in no time. She was obviously not even part of our event and she felt welcome. I think I spoke to everyone at the event. I do not remember meeting you. Just my opinion, try being a little more sociable next year.

pjpiche1

Butch, Is your friend with the cut down truck with the antlers on the hood alright? I noticed that the front of his truck was V shaped and he lost a tire.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
We have officially cleared 40 vehicles at the rally and that doesn't even count all the trailers! Such as Neil's M109 camper, the multiple M105's, the M101's, Timntruck's trailer, Taylor trading company's trailer, wreckerman's trailer, etc.

Thanks for all your participation.

Hmmm...I think for next year's Rally the gate should be guarded on each side by a Guntruck and everyone who enters will submit a pre printed form (or complete it at the gate) stating name of SS member(s) guests, vehicles brought etc., for information purposes only:idea:

I would hate to have clinto/CGF's job and try to not forget anyone and hurt their feelings after the fact thru ommission.

Maybe a "detachments" list should be made...IE;...Mess team included Mr and Ms...XYZ and helpers were...Mr and Ms 1234.

A "detachment" could be assigned for each major event/task and an MFIC be assigned...or volunteer to head each detachment.

All detachment MFICs would answer to the CMFIC...Clinto.

OK...this perfect plan comes from a feller that couldn't even make the rally...but we were well represented...LOL
LOOK OUT NEXT YEAR;-)
I would really, really like to have a guard shack at the gate and have people sign up so that we can get a good accurate count, but that's means we'd have to find a volunteer (probably several) who would be willing to sit there all day and catch everyone coming through. These people would miss trail rides and socializing. I am going to put some more thought into this as it is really difficult to get an accurate count of people and vehicles.

I like the detachment/MFIC idea.

The rally almost doubled in size this year. If it grows at the same rate next year, we could conceivably see 75 vehicles and a couple hundred people. At that point, we are going to have to implement some stronger command and control principles to it to keep it from devolving into anarchy, while still allowing everyone the flexibility of doing what they want to do (one of the core principles of the Ga Rally is that you can do what you want-trailride, goof off at camp all day, etc.).

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with what PJ,Gimp, Mike, C and Spedmon and the others are saying about you and your friends, Butch. I never noticed you or them there! Please don't be worried that anyone was trying to be "anti-social" to you guys.

The MKT area(when meals were served)and evening campfires were the best locations to make contact with the group.

I actually feel bad after the rally is over and I can't remember everyone's names.

fwiw, Squirttrucks son drives a modded jeep(rockcrawler) and he actually leads a lot of the trailrides. Everyone is/was welcome.

Last edited:

poppop

Clint, the Vendor that rode with me was John D. Vara. He was in the camper pulling a civi trailer. He had good prices on his goods and was a very nice guy. He lives in Brunswick Ga. and told me he goes to Atlanta once a week and passes by my house on the way and would drop off parts if needed. He had a ball ont the trails. In that stepped climb gimp mentioned i asked John if he was game to try it and his comment was thats what we came for. After we made it over the top he said Man, what did you do when you were younger, ride bulls. He also said he had been trail riding with a group of MV'ers last weekend and when he got home was going to tell them that was just a walk in the park, this was a real trail ride. He says he will bring his duece next year and expects to have several friends bring theirs also.

Clint, my Wife was there for a couple nights also.

Butch, I am sorry too that you feel you got snubbed. I honestly did not know who was in the Jeeps. Last year Durhamtown furnished guides in Jeeps and at first I thought thats who you were. When I realized you were not I figured you were just Jeepers tagging along with us. The Jeeps usually did not spend much time with us at stops, just kept playing. Please ask your friends to give us another chance next year.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's what I propose and will facilitate if I go to next years rally. We will set up a registration table with a sign. It may be self serve but either way it will be there. On that table will be a registry to sign, an adequate number of generic name tags and personalized name tags that I will make for all persons who provide the information. I think we should also set aside about a 90 minute block of time maybe Fri nite for an attendee meeting. I know trail rides are always going on but we should try not to go out for this one single meeting. I even answered a question from Butch and didn't realize it was him. We really need to do the name tag deal! I suppose we can be an intimidating looking bunch of characters, especially during Saturdays loadfest.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now, I need help solving a mystery. Sometime during the rally, person(s) unkown put 2 personalized tags of sorts on the steering wheel of my M1008. Basically it was a piece of nylon with Recovery4x4 embroidered in it along with a US Flag. It has snaps and can be snapped right around the wheel. It's very nice and when JW4x4 saw it, he wanted one too. There was also one that had the name Cliff on it. Cliff was the perosn who cooked at the FL rally 2 yrs ago. I'm trying to come up with the common denominator between all this and the only person I could come up with would be Lloyd's Wife Deanna. Anyone have the slightest clue who is responsible so I can propery offer my thanks?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks