• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New! 2009 GA Rally Multimedia Thread

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now, I need help solving a mystery. Sometime during the rally, person(s) unkown put 2 personalized tags of sorts on the steering wheel of my M1008. Basically it was a piece of nylon with Recovery4x4 embroidered in it along with a US Flag. It has snaps and can be snapped right around the wheel. It's very nice and when JW4x4 saw it, he wanted one too. There was also one that had the name Cliff on it. Cliff was the perosn who cooked at the FL rally 2 yrs ago. I'm trying to come up with the common denominator between all this and the only person I could come up with would be Lloyd's Wife Deanna. Anyone have the slightest clue who is responsible so I can propery offer my thanks?

nopics

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
next year if i ant dead i am geting old i will stay at the gate and take care of the sign in i don't care to ride the trails to old bones might crack i just like to stay at camp talk drink beer and eat i am retired so i can be there early and stay late if need be it was a great rally this year . i am ready for next year all ready to much fun and name tags would be good i cant rember names there again to dam old.
Tony

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry 4x4 that was my m35a2 not jims i had a bunch of parts i had jim eng on my trailer the one he swaped gimpyrobb for and i had your bowes for your m1008 0n the trailer.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tony,

I see Rockmart in your data. I am the guy who has the old building in Greenback, TN, made with Rockmart Brick about 1900. I built my chimney and fireplace at home out of them, too. Now I know who you are !! Sure enjoyed the chat about Rockmart!

Bob (who never remembers names either)

next year if i ant dead i am geting old i will stay at the gate and take care of the sign in i don't care to ride the trails to old bones might crack i just like to stay at camp talk drink beer and eat i am retired so i can be there early and stay late if need be it was a great rally this year . i am ready for next year all ready to much fun and name tags would be good i cant rember names there again to dam old.
Tony

Bronco4x4

hey, the tan deuce on 395's was me, jake cooper
ill start by saying it was a great trip for my group. i really enjoyed seeing all of the mv's etc. my buddy butch said earlier that no one seemed friendly but i think that is as much our fault as anyone else. i met some very nice people and many of them came and introduced themselves with no problem. we were staying down the road and had to keep constant check on our trucks and trailers, whenever we go ride somewhere i think everything but the kitchen sink ends up in the truck. so that is part of the reason that we didnt come around camp as much as i would have liked to. i also understand that everyone has a different driving style and mine tends to be on the aggressive side. i push my truck to the limits and am always amazed at the places a deuce will go. i have some good pics and videos of some of the trails so when i get time i will get them on here. hope everyone enjoyed their trip as well, maybe next year we will all get to know each other better, thanks also to the individuals that i purchased parts from , roof bow, air hose etc. thanks they are already in use. oh yea and as for the jeep sitting on the side of the trail , im alright i was wearing my seat belt and the oak tree will live, i dont even think it scratched the bark :-D. all in all i cant wait until next year!!

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Looks like a great time! I enjoyed seeing the pics and vids. We both had similar rain/sun weather which made things exciting on the trails. Thats a real profeesional and organized food operation, my hats off to you guys.

Those are some good suggestions too about a sign in booth, perimter fence, gate, etc. to keep track of the attendees as these Rallies get larger. Having everybody sort of corraled lets people socialize better by not being spread out too thin.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, let's see a pic of the steering wheel tag. The wife says she can make them if she gets a pic.:roll:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
As we can see from the posts there is room for improvement in several areas.
I am already planning to arrrive on Wednesday next year and get HQ set up.

Clinto and I have discussed having media out there and we haven't reached a conclusion on that front yet......I am proud of my vehicles and love to show them off but we do have to be aware of the image we put forth to the general public.

I met several of the folks from over in the campground and went out of my way to make them feel welcome and to explain the MV hobby, the MVPA and Steelsoldiers.
They were very impressed with the MKT and the trucks (I may have even sold one) and seemed to have a positive attitude about us as a group.

I talked to John (the vendor) and he was well pleased with the support he got from us. His positive experience may induce other vendors to attend next year.

Durhamtown is a great host and I have no complaints with their service. Anytime I asked one of the guys for something I usually got it in a timely manner.
One issue we might address is getting them to run a bushhog over the area to make it smoother and to break up the horse sh...... errrrrr......road apples that inhabit the area.

We have a year to make changes and prepare for an even bigger and better rally. Let's keep the ideas coming and get our OP ORDER set up for next year.

airmech3839

Media at the rally??
who wants to see a bunch of beer drinking, camo truck driving, goofy looking guys on the 6'oclock news.......... trails- yes, convoy- yes, base camp...........no

Maybe a still photograpgher from the paper or something like that so that we don't have to hear someone like me say "here hold my beer and watch this!!"

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My vote is no to all the media.

I'm very proud of my hobby and like to show off my vehicles as much as anybody, but these rallys are supposed to be an informal gathering of friends to have fun and swap/trade parts, drive on the trails and tell stories around a campfire. Any media presence would put some people ill-at-ease and create an atmosphere of "needing" to show the good side all the time.

If it were an MVPA event that were nicely organized, with pretty trucks on display not getting dirty that might be different....but our little informal rallies...no thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Current media trends tend to twist the facts into whatever they think the public will react to. Walter Cronkite said it best when he said "the media should use less adjectives to describe the facts"(paraphrased).

That's a No vote, for the media type....

poppop

I have quite a bit of experence with media types and vote no also. If we get a guy who wants to sensaionalize to make points with the bosses we could be blown all out of proportion and be made to look like a radical group of militia types out practicing in the woods. Once its aired there's no taking it back and if its good enough it could be picked up by a bunch of stations across the Country.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
i was looking at it from my point of view, not the point of the media that, like was said, could make it out to be really whatever they want. I change my vote to NO all the way around.

poppop

Kenny, unfortunately Deanna did not leave you any gifts. She is very pleased that you thought it might be her. Someone also left a small round mirror in my truck in the box. I remember someone showing them to me but can't remember who. Deanna says gimpyrob promised her a mirror when he was here a couple years ago and is voting for him.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks