• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New! 2009 GA Rally Multimedia Thread

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
who wants to see a bunch of beer drinking, camo truck driving, goofy looking guys on the 6'oclock news.......... trails- yes, convoy- yes, base camp
Other beer drinking, camo truck driving, goofy looking guys. :-D :-D :-D

I was a Public Affairs Supervisor for a Division when I retired......I know how to herd the cats but I will respect the wishes of the folks that vote no.

The advantage to putting a positive spin on the rallys is that if we are threatened by dumb regulations a lot of folks will remember us as the good guys.

My second option would be to get a good friend of mine who is an independant film maker to do a story and then we could market it to our networks of preference.

I'll keep this one on the back burner.

Thanks for the input.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Now, I need help solving a mystery. Sometime during the rally, person(s) unkown put 2 personalized tags of sorts on the steering wheel of my M1008. Basically it was a piece of nylon with Recovery4x4 embroidered in it along with a US Flag. It has snaps and can be snapped right around the wheel. It's very nice and when JW4x4 saw it, he wanted one too. There was also one that had the name Cliff on it. Cliff was the perosn who cooked at the FL rally 2 yrs ago. I'm trying to come up with the common denominator between all this and the only person I could come up with would be Lloyd's Wife Deanna. Anyone have the slightest clue who is responsible so I can propery offer my thanks?
Kenny,

That was me. Had been planning to send them to you and CliffW for ages. Picked those up in Korea in March. Didn't remember them until I was finished loading and getting into the truck to move out. The guy sewing them forgot the W on Cliffs but he shouldn't feel bad, Maddawgs was spelled Maddawd (LOL).

Carnac

gunboy1656

While i have not had the chance to make it to a rally, and I will be trying next year.

But it would seem to me, if you want the media there for say the convoy into town, then do a toy or a food drive for the local town. Keep them away form the camp where everyone would be acting up. Show them we are good for something.

Great pics by the way, and videos too.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I vote no media as well.
I speak from experience when I say what they say they will present on TV ect. may NOT be what is actually shown:-x

MY personal thought is that we should keep this a family (SS) secret and only SS and invited guests participate. I feel I should take personal responsibility for any guests I may bring along with our group.

I think this Rally is a thing of beauty...as is and I would really hate to see it evolve into anything else.:roll:

jw4x4

Kenny- post a pic and we can see if someone can make something similar. It would take a good embroidery machine. I sure would like to purchase something like what you received.

stampy

Man I am so bummed that I couldn't make it this year! It sounds like all had a great time! I would vote no on media as I would hate for the mainsteam media to characterise our rally as a militia meeting or such tripe.:-D

jblack6527

Man! All that looks like a blast. I had halfway plans to come down this year, but it seems like I always talk myself out of it. I need to come down next year for sure!!

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well... It was a great rally. Clinto, fantastic job, food was great, company was great, rides were fun, no one got hurt, (Sick don't count, glad you are better Tim.), no major damage and no serious broke parts. Got to do some recovery, even a self recovery late Friday night...
FWIW, I am dissapointed that BUtch's friends felt snubbed. I DID welcome them and invited them to go with us. This contact was made at the ant hills,( I was the guy in green with little hair and handelbar to compensate (no comments...)) This group welcomed my sons and friends and they were not in MV's (see note about rock jeep earlier). I echo Clinto's apology if they felt that way, try it again and we will do better.

I want to express my appreciation for everyone being acceptable to me becoming the pushy guy for drivers meetings, time to ride, coordinating during recoverys (many thanks Case for being so willing to provide materials, effort, and support in ALL these recoveries. If ya'll will have it and Clinto is ok with it, I will be the Cat Hearder for the rides, guess that is just in my nature....just ask Dumpster.

AMGeneral, we did not get the 5-tons out, shame on us.....
Dumpster, got to have a new engine in the dump truck for next years ride.

Many thanks for the hands on when the mule got crazy at the canyon. Thanks for the determination to not leave anyone behind to Clinto and Joe.

Other comments, Media for a road run (parade) before getting messy might help, I vote NO for them at camp, they will twist what they think or want to see.
Communication between the rear and forward units would be great.
Sign in should happen.

To Next Year! Great Rally,
Squirt-Truck (aka Cat Hearder)

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too vote no to media, especially if it's in camp. The communication during trail rides between front and back is easy, I have a set of 4 motorola radios that go 5 miles. Put 1 in front truck, 1 in back, and 1 at camp. Twright and I can do the registration by the gate if needed. We'll just set up the tents near the gate and catch people as they come in. As for having more "command and control so it doesn't divulge into anarchy" I would say just the opposite. If we keep doing like we are and people volunteer ahead of time it runs smoothly. The biggest problem, I believe, is getting the food setup. And I think there's already volunteers again for next year. It's not like we are trying to deploy a squadron to a 3rd world country, this is easy.:roll:

Big CASE

Hey Yall !!
I mad it home on 28th at 1900.
I just like to say THANK YOU ALL :-D for a grate week, time, every thing ....
I have over 200 pictures + Videos for you all ... still loading some
I hope you all made it Home safe and sound . Looking ford to coming back next year..
I am proud too say that I am a part of this group STEEL SOLDIERS all the Help that was given out , every one went and help doing anything that was needed, I am just glad I could do my part , and can NOT wait till next years event ,

Attachments

AMGeneral

Well... It was a great rally. Clinto, fantastic job, food was great, company was great, rides were fun, no one got hurt, (Sick don't count, glad you are better Tim.), no major damage and no serious broke parts. Got to do some recovery, even a self recovery late Friday night...
FWIW, I am dissapointed that BUtch's friends felt snubbed. I DID welcome them and invited them to go with us. This contact was made at the ant hills,( I was the guy in green with little hair and handelbar to compensate (no comments...)) This group welcomed my sons and friends and they were not in MV's (see note about rock jeep earlier). I echo Clinto's apology if they felt that way, try it again and we will do better.

I want to express my appreciation for everyone being acceptable to me becoming the pushy guy for drivers meetings, time to ride, coordinating during recoverys (many thanks Case for being so willing to provide materials, effort, and support in ALL these recoveries. If ya'll will have it and Clinto is ok with it, I will be the Cat Hearder for the rides, guess that is just in my nature....just ask Dumpster.

AMGeneral, we did not get the 5-tons out, shame on us.....
Dumpster, got to have a new engine in the dump truck for next years ride.

Many thanks for the hands on when the mule got crazy at the canyon. Thanks for the determination to not leave anyone behind to Clinto and Joe.

Other comments, Media for a road run (parade) before getting messy might help, I vote NO for them at camp, they will twist what they think or want to see.
Communication between the rear and forward units would be great.
Sign in should happen.

To Next Year! Great Rally,
Squirt-Truck (aka Cat Hearder)
Yeah,we should've gotten both 5 tons out there, especially since we had the only 2 M39 series there,but I just could not bring myself to get the M54A1 dirty.

I did get to talk to Butch a little on Sat morning,I guess it's as much my fault for not extending the invite to the camp fire later that night,my manners never seem to follow me anywhere I go.

BTW,I did have my AM-2060A and PRC 25(VRC-12 setup) in my Trail Deuce as well as the antenna sections behind the seat,just didn't know if anyone else had theirs.

Last edited:

poppop

amgeneral I don't blame you for not wanting to get that beautiful truck dirty. I would not put my M813 through those trails and she ain't near as pretty as yours.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well i for did welcome one nice guy in a wild hopped up jeep with a 350 chevy in it.. i opened the gate and let him in and then went and talked with him some about his jeep.. he got it started up after we talked some.... which included me telling him where everone was.. trail riding . so off he went to find the pack... :-D lets get all this worked out now while its fresh in the mind so we can have a better one next time TIm

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Wish I was in better shape for the event. My family illness issues and battle scar from fighting my truck kept me from coherently being at the event. I'm usually a lot more chatty. Can't wait for next year and we're less than a week after the event.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah Kevin, it was a pleasure to actually meet you in person. We need to get you out on the trails next year. BTW, my M101A3 has a nice looking set of fiberglass racks now! Thanks!