• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New 85 M1009 24V 6.2L owner starting issues?

GunnyM1009

I just bought It about two weeks ago. The Negative on the front battery goes to the lower block on the firewall the positive on the front battery goes to the negative on the rear battery and the positive on the rear battery goes to the top block on the firewall. My skill set is moderate I do not claim to be a mechanic but I am usually able to figue things out on standard vehicles but this thing has got me stumped the things I have already done would have fixed any issue with a standard 12V gasser

GunnyM1009

I am getting 12.54 from the rear battery and 12.03 from the front battery 12.03 from the driver side alternator and 12.54 from the passenger side alternator

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
12.03v after a recharge tells me a bad cell in that battery.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Can you connect the meter and have your wife try to start the truck? and note the voltage during the attempt to start

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ok, do it again, this time on the positive post of the front battery to the same engine ground you used before

cpf240

ok when she hit the key it jumped down to about 16 so what does that mean
That sounds like too large a drop to me. I would run the test again, taking a reading across each battery in turn. This is sort of a poor man's load test. If one drops much more than the other, then I'd suspect that battery has a bad cell.

GunnyM1009

Ok it was a bad front battery whoooooo got him going again hooked the jumps to the front battery and he fired up I did not think to just change one battery and apparently the two smaller ones from the other vehicles just did not have enough juice

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Without truely knowing the condition of your batteries, full charge and load tested, we are just guessing on how to help you.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And a bad battery strikes again. That is why we always say to check your batteries first. Never guess/assume they are good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks