• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Chevy Trucks

rustystud

OK, this is a "just for fun" post. Today I went to the Chevy dealership in Kirkland WA. to check out the new 2017 Chevy trucks. I need to buy a new truck for hauling our trailer. Anyway I brought my 1984 M1028 CUCV . My wife was with me. As we pulled into the lot she turned to me and said "no one would want to come out and help us since we have such an "old" truck" . Well as you can imagine I got all the attention ! Even the lot boys came over to "check out" my cool "old" truck !!! As we left I told her "see I told you this is a classic truck and greatly desired. Now do you finally believe me ?" . She had no comment.

cucvrus

Same thing happened to me with my Mule M1009. I bought a new Silverado and the salesmen wanted to buy my Mule M1009. At the time I had just completed rebuilding it and was not interested in selling it. I still have a sales badge from 1984 that says Chevy Trucks with the bolts around the bow tie. I have the Bob Seger song on my mind every time I drive a Chevy truck. The video is pretty cool IMHO. But yes rustystud you deserve a new Chevy truck. I have been driving them all my life. I don't care what anyone says the newer trucks just keep getting better. Not working on them is a great reason I like them so much. Good Luck with your purchase.

https://youtu.be/IocCC1-jeTY

Have a great day.

someoldmoose

I bought my '84 k-20 during the HEARTBEAT OF AMERICA campaign. Still have 2 brand new, in plastic, metal front plates in r,w & b on black background. Wanna put one on the 94 Blazer . . . but then I'll only have ONE. I love / hate my hoarding side. Get that K-4500 Duramax / Allison Stud, and DON'T LOOK BACK. . . . . LIKE A ROCK ! ! !

FB_IMG_1496264010145.jpg

cucvrus, If ya EVER wanna part with that sales badge, PLEASE, lemme know. No pressure, enjoy it.

Last edited:

cucvrus

cucvrus, If ya EVER wanna part with that sales badge, PLEASE, lemme know. No pressure, enjoy it.

I also have some of the original 1984 pamphlets/booklets that have 1984 Chevrolet trucks features and a picture and brief paragraph about the CUCV with different camouflage paint featured.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, this is a "just for fun" post. Today I went to the Chevy dealership in Kirkland WA. to check out the new 2017 Chevy trucks. I need to buy a new truck for hauling our trailer. Anyway I brought my 1984 M1028 CUCV . My wife was with me. As we pulled into the lot she turned to me and said "no one would want to come out and help us since we have such an "old" truck" . Well as you can imagine I got all the attention ! Even the lot boys came over to "check out" my cool "old" truck !!! As we left I told her "see I told you this is a classic truck and greatly desired. Now do you finally believe me ?" . She had no comment.
Test drive before you buy. Chev is my choice of vehicles to repair with 14 older Chev fleet trucks on the road a few years ago. My new job forced me to drive new vehicles in 07' and my current 2016, 2500 Chev, 4 door extended cab shorter box drives like a noodle. Something about the new electric steering system. The Trailer brake controller is hyper sensitive, which may be good but it recognized a wee bit of rust in the trailer plug after I hit a bump. It only happens at night when you're 2 hrs from base hauling an 8000lb bobcat. The truck codes and leaves you without trailer brakes. I carry spares of all the lights, battery, pigtails and trailer parts, but if you buy a 2016 Chev, carry spare trailer plugs and all the tools. Not sure about the 17's but I'd seriously spend some time white line driving to see if the front end makes you happy. The 6.0 gas pot is light for pulling. Unusually high revving and I'm light on the throttle. If you're pulling weight upgrade it'll snap up to 5800rpm on a shift,,,,almost scary if I didn't like it so much. Can't see one lasting very long with the high rev bands but hey, corvettes ref high too and they last forever.

The 2016 plain jane rubber floor mats Dually, Duramax, crew cab, had bad pulleys and started smoking the belt on the second day. Something about the pulleys on the 16' Duramax that makes them wobble. Same issue with the steering, drove like a noodle, but not as obvious as the single wheel 2500. I drove a dozen duallys before the 16' so discussing with the dealership that I might not be familiar with dually steering was hilarious.

The 2014 Denali Dually and 2011 Dually Ltz Duramaxeses, were both flawless trucks....perfect. Never saw a dealership except when I backed down a hill, hooked that huge tail pipe and wrapped it under the axle. They want $6000.00 for an exhaust system so don't do that. The Duramax is insane, absolutely insane, but I haven't owned a cummins so what do I know.

I really hate to knock down a Chev or GM and they are working through the problems as clearly indicated online. Test drive before you buy and congratulations on a new purchase if you so choose to take that mission. This note will self destruct in 3, 2

rustystud

Test drive before you buy. Chev is my choice of vehicles to repair with 14 older Chev fleet trucks on the road a few years ago. My new job forced me to drive new vehicles in 07' and my current 2016, 2500 Chev, 4 door extended cab shorter box drives like a noodle. Something about the new electric steering system. The Trailer brake controller is hyper sensitive, which may be good but it recognized a wee bit of rust in the trailer plug after I hit a bump. It only happens at night when you're 2 hrs from base hauling an 8000lb bobcat. The truck codes and leaves you without trailer brakes. I carry spares of all the lights, battery, pigtails and trailer parts, but if you buy a 2016 Chev, carry spare trailer plugs and all the tools. Not sure about the 17's but I'd seriously spend some time white line driving to see if the front end makes you happy. The 6.0 gas pot is light for pulling. Unusually high revving and I'm light on the throttle. If you're pulling weight upgrade it'll snap up to 5800rpm on a shift,,,,almost scary if I didn't like it so much. Can't see one lasting very long with the high rev bands but hey, corvettes ref high too and they last forever.

The 2016 plain jane rubber floor mats Dually, Duramax, crew cab, had bad pulleys and started smoking the belt on the second day. Something about the pulleys on the 16' Duramax that makes them wobble. Same issue with the steering, drove like a noodle, but not as obvious as the single wheel 2500. I drove a dozen duallys before the 16' so discussing with the dealership that I might not be familiar with dually steering was hilarious.

The 2014 Denali Dually and 2011 Dually Ltz Duramaxeses, were both flawless trucks....perfect. Never saw a dealership except when I backed down a hill, hooked that huge tail pipe and wrapped it under the axle. They want $6000.00 for an exhaust system so don't do that. The Duramax is insane, absolutely insane, but I haven't owned a cummins so what do I know.

I really hate to knock down a Chev or GM and they are working through the problems as clearly indicated online. Test drive before you buy and congratulations on a new purchase if you so choose to take that mission. This note will self destruct in 3, 2
First off, sorry I couldn't post anything yesterday. The site was down every time I tried. I did test drive a few trucks. They didn't have any 1 ton duallies which I want, but I did drive the 3/4ton "High Country" . It had the new V8 Duramax with all the new power upgrades. All I can say is that truck is scary fast !!! They also put some serious sound proofing in it. It sounds like a 4 cylinder gas pot in the cab ! Even when I got on the pedal it was extremely quite. My wife even said that it was quiter then our Subaru ! It would take me a little while to learn all the controls and such though. It even has a way to install your laptop into the dash monitor ! Crazy ! All the cameras was a bonus though. Turn the turn signal on to the right and the right side of the truck comes up on the dash monitor. Same with the left. Put it in reverse and you can see out back. I don't like the GPS monitoring though. To much like "George Orwell 1984" for me.
Well enough of the Chevy commercial. I just thought it was funny how even the dealership people with these new fangled trucks to drive around in found the old 1984 M1028 to be a great truck to have. Even these "kids" (yes I'm old) knew a "classic" when they saw one !

cucvrus

First off, sorry I couldn't post anything yesterday. The site was down every time I tried. I did test drive a few trucks. They didn't have any 1 ton duallies which I want, but I did drive the 3/4ton "High Country" . It had the new V8 Duramax with all the new power upgrades. All I can say is that truck is scary fast !!! They also put some serious sound proofing in it. It sounds like a 4 cylinder gas pot in the cab ! Even when I got on the pedal it was extremely quite. My wife even said that it was quiter then our Subaru ! It would take me a little while to learn all the controls and such though. It even has a way to install your laptop into the dash monitor ! Crazy ! All the cameras was a bonus though. Turn the turn signal on to the right and the right side of the truck comes up on the dash monitor. Same with the left. Put it in reverse and you can see out back. I don't like the GPS monitoring though. To much like "George Orwell 1984" for me.
Well enough of the Chevy commercial. I just thought it was funny how even the dealership people with these new fangled trucks to drive around in found the old 1984 M1028 to be a great truck to have. Even these "kids" (yes I'm old) knew a "classic" when they saw one !
Great story. Thank you for sharing it. I also am impressed with the new Chevrolet trucks. I like my old ones but the new ones are much more comfortable and easier to maintain. Good Luck on your purchase. If you were in High Country you were in high $ dollars $. I am in WT country and still spending $30K+. IMHO well worth the money. What I like most is I never have to lift a tool to work on it. At $32. for a complete service it is NOT worth my while. Come to think of it I received 4 full serves and still have one left on my 2014 Silverado. Have a Great Day.

Chaski

Awesome!
I bet it made their day at the dealership.

I had a 2014 duramax at work for about 2 years. A fantastic pickup on the road, gobs of horsepower, transmission must have been made out of magical pixie dust. Road handling was predictable and secure. Excellent traction control to try and make your rear tires last, and keep it in check in the snow. And it was reliable. Also a hoot with the traction control off, and a Ken Block beast on gravel roads with it in 4wd. I really enjoyed it.

Only two gripes...
1) The dash.
There are two things I want displayed on the multifunction display. Outdoor air temperature and the odometer. GM insisted that any other alarm event completely overwrite the entire screen. Don't like to keep your rear tires at 80psi empty...too bad, the TPMS system will overwrite anything useful you are seeing to tell you your tires are not inflated to rock hard. Want to know how warm it is outside when your washer fluid is low... not going to happen. Low on DEF? Your pickup will let you know, and will keep refreshing the screen over top of whatever you actually want to see from pressing the mode button. Press the button to see what you need to see, 5 minutes later it is back to displaying something you don't want to see. If the dash is still the same and I went and bought one today I'd get one of those 2" round external thermometers from a big rig and put it in the pickup. I depend on knowing the temperature outside during the winter months to keep me out of the ditch or avoid wrapping myself around a tree.

2) DEF tank location.
Why is it so low? Why do you have to pop the hood to fill it? I was honestly amazed that I did not puncture or remove the DEF tank when I was out in the woods.

Did I say the drivetrain was magical? Those things are actually fun to drive on a windy country road.

scottladdy

Only two gripes...
1) The dash.
There are two things I want displayed on the multifunction display. Outdoor air temperature and the odometer. GM insisted that any other alarm event completely overwrite the entire screen. Don't like to keep your rear tires at 80psi empty...too bad, the TPMS system will overwrite anything useful you are seeing to tell you your tires are not inflated to rock hard. Want to know how warm it is outside when your washer fluid is low... not going to happen. Low on DEF? Your pickup will let you know, and will keep refreshing the screen over top of whatever you actually want to see from pressing the mode button. Press the button to see what you need to see, 5 minutes later it is back to displaying something you don't want to see. If the dash is still the same and I went and bought one today I'd get one of those 2" round external thermometers from a big rig and put it in the pickup. I depend on knowing the temperature outside during the winter months to keep me out of the ditch or avoid wrapping myself around a tree.
We recently rented a 2016 Suburban. Very nice truck. Had the same issue with the warnings. Very annoying. Must be a legal reason behind it.

I am having serious sticker shock these days. I just can't see spending $60k+ on a new truck no matter how nice. Bill Of Materials costs can't be that much higher than they used to be even 10 years ago.

Want a diesel? MSRP is $18K over a gasser. That is because all those power adders required significantly more Unobtanium to be added to the block :p

rustystud

We recently rented a 2016 Suburban. Very nice truck. Had the same issue with the warnings. Very annoying. Must be a legal reason behind it.

I am having serious sticker shock these days. I just can't see spending $60k+ on a new truck no matter how nice. Bill Of Materials costs can't be that much higher than they used to be even 10 years ago.

Want a diesel? MSRP is $18K over a gasser. That is because all those power adders required significantly more Unobtanium to be added to the block :p
I agree about the "sticker" shock. The base price for the 1 ton dually is $35,000.00 . A nice chunk of change. Then you start to add all the "extra's" like the big engine/transmission package, the tow package, the nice interior package , the stereo package, the camera package, etc ..... It adds up so fast !!! Want 4X4 with that ? Well add another $5,000.00 . It just goes on and on !!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks