• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New crane and even more mods

DB556

Well first I had a 3000lb stick crane, then a 8000lb knuckleboom, now its a 6000lb stick crane again, so crane time for a new thread,
old thread https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/decision-on-a-knuckle-boom-crane.193569/

In my last set of mods, I got a 6000lxr Stahl crane installed using the knuckle boom, used the stahl to remove the hiab.
built a over build dumb bed hinge, and swing and stow hydraulic out riggers, so I can have the bed dump.
I've started getting my disc brakes, and hydro max master installed along with a hydraulic clutch cylinder.
Reason I'm going with hydraulic clutch is I want the pedal hanging under the dash. So I ditched the stock pedal brackets and moved the battery cables, and have a smooth frame on each side.

So I can get a set of 36" tool boxes on either side for gear and even more batteries 5 or 6 haven't decided yet I know I'll have 4 batteries for the 24v systems; starter, gauges/fuel pump (till I migrate them to 12v) and hydraulic pump for the crane and my big 3000w 24v power inverter. For the 12v side that will be the lights, turn signals, cab accessories, brake controller, and diesel cab heater.

And since a picture is worth a thousand words, have some pictures.

First is just a random deuce I saw while going to work.

The using the Hiab to move and mount the Stahl, I pulled some 3x4x1/4 tube through the bed with a hoist, welded it in place then drilled down through the tube and welded in some section of 2" round bar that I drilled on the lathe too 1" ID.

Attachments

DB556

Got the hiab off and sold. Then went camping and shooting with the guy, made Rueben's in the woods, the dog did not enjoy the ear pro, did enjoy the corned beef.

Attachments

DB556

Put on some locking hubs up front, Cut the rear frame moved the bed forward about 16" I had cut out 36" for the Haib.
Then started building a big frame support/hinge/out rigger mount.

Attachments

DB556

Did some more work on the out riggers, there mounted on a section of 3x3x3/8 (with some 12g strips welded to the outside) telescoping in a section of 4x4x3/8.

Got some steel from a guy with a goat, bought some ammo cans and strapped them to a DRZ400, got the outriggers swinging nicely (the end of the 3x3 tube goes to a piece of bar that I turned to fit nicely inside the 4x4x3/8 (about 3.25") it has a small section of chain attached to the end so I can over extend the outrigger and drop it on my foot again so it will limit the travel and stops right on the pivot section with which is the round bar stock.

Got the valves mounted and temporality hosed, I'll bend hard line for it later then rigged up a temp hydraulic pump.

Went shooting again.

And had to help my buddies girlfriends on a art install for months...

Then had to spend months working on my garage since termites and cinderblock exist

Attachments

DB556

Garage looks better now though,
Had go get more steel in the ford
The art didn't look bad
And the night shot of the roof was like 3 am
Done with the garage now back to so many more things than my deuce :( .....
Many months later......

Attachments

DB556

The months continue....
Got a PVS-14 to get my night vision game on.
Then bought a new to me skid steer, so much better than my old new holland L425
The ATF took $200 from me and only gave me a stamp.
The dog got a tactical vest.
Had to fix a steering wheel
And got a new to me cnc mill.

Then que a month ago!
Its time to work on the deuce again!
Got the front disc done,
I still need to figure out the brake hoses, I want to use the same brake hoses front and rear haven't found anything after browsing napa for a while.

Attachments

DB556

Found mice had got to my top while it was in the shed :(
Got the stock tool box off and the then used my crane as a dump hoist to get the real dump hoist in.
Went shooting with the guys again, did some cooking and found a baby snake.

Attachments

DB556

Started working on a vertical tool box for behind the cab in the 20" gap I left, it will hold the hydraulic pump, reservoir, valve block to direct hydraulic pressure to the, crane, dump hoist, front and rear work ports, and the hurst spool/tool and hydraulic pole saw.
Got a set of new tanks for more air capacity.
Got a wilwood master/pedal combo for the hydraulic slave cylinder
I'm going to cut the whole section of fire wall out here and replace it with a flat and with less holes to plug section of 1/8" plate.
To fit the 36" tool box for the batteries I had to move the fuel tank back 7" so the crane helped.
Then I pulled a wheel from both axles to make it a bit easier to roll the hole unit out the back of the truck so I can single the rear.
Had to break out the big hugga dugga, some how the chinese 3/4 right next to my IR is rated the same, china sure is magic.

Attachments

DB556

The hydro max booster is from a C6500 or ford 700 It was very hot that day for being spring I got lost in the junk yard (remember hydration! )
Took out the old air box I have a smaller/better Cummins filter I'll be using with a new compact aluminum airbox I'm welding up.
Started tearing out the old wiring harness since it was in the way and had rubbed though in many spots giving my never ending electrical problems.
Levitated a fuel tank over the flow bed and didn't kill a single flower accidently, any my greenie neighbor said I don't like the environment....
Then to paint he tool box for the battery side and get that mounted today so I can go fix a wood chipper.
And my plan to use my old deuce 9.00-20's on my VW might need rethinking... don't know why

Attachments

DB556

How does the dump bed work with the crane in the back. I guess your crane is only mounted to the bed and not the frame?
Yep its only mounted to the bed, but I build a over build sub frame under the bed, that is part of the dump hinge assembly.

I cut 20" off the rear frame and replaced with with box tube and tubed out the rear frame section.
Now the crane over hangs the hinge by about 16" and the out rigger attach to the bed/subframe, when the out riggers are deployed the push up on the crane section/ bed hinge clamping the whole section closed. there is no chance of the bed trying to dump.

And I'm going mount some pneumatic toggle clamps to the end of the bed to lock it down for driving, very similar to these https://www.penntoolco.com/90912932/

Attachments

DB556

Not much done the last few days, to much rain and too much work. But I did get the old battery box out and the new tool box mounts installed, I think I'm going to move both boxes down 3/4 to 1" to let the cab shift right now there almost touching. I did get another of the new tool boxes having two different boxes was making me go OCD.
I need to punch some holes in the box for the cable glands for the battery cables, getting the batteries in I'll fit five, one 12v and four for the 24v system.
I got my new peterbilt turn signal in, its got a high beam dimmer switch on the end, (I always fumble with the floor switch and get some one with my high beams) and it all metal and fits the deuce aesthetic, and since I'm taking the lights and sub systems to 12volt(for brake controller etc) It should be good.

Also got a uninvited guest climbing in my garage, side note, raccoons like superman are impervious to bullets or at least .22 short from my testing.

Next few days its all going to be work on my mothers jeep,
"son its not running good" a few looks and some codes later
"its going to be about $1000"
"why are you charging me for labor! I'm your mother! a $1000 I'm not paying to have the engine rebuilt! just fix whats wrong"
"mom I'm not charging you for labor its a $1000 in parts, and actually you do need your engine rebuilt"
The joys of have automotive tool and your family knowing you have automotive tools....

Anyway on to pictures

Attachments

DB556

And a few days later...
Worked on a jeep for 4 days in the rain, These spark plugs only are 2 years old I changed them Feb 2020
I love the jeep 3.8L....

Got a new crane controller, I'll be wiring that up this week to control more function on the crane, (lights, momentary or continuous 24v hydraulic pump, along with lights and a aux hydraulic circuit on the crane for a knuckle boom like attachment I saw on this other guys service trunk I should have taken a picture)

Figured out my pneumatic bed locks weren't going to work so I grabbed some small chain binders that I'll hold the bed down with.

With all the rain I needed to mow my property before shooting on memorial day so I got out the brush hog, tore it down and welded it up new for my mini skid, the 4.3ci hydraulic motor bogs down in heavy grass and trees, I'm debating going to a higher displacement motor (which will have lower RPM) or going with a higher RPM motor and using blade speed to fly throw things.

Attachments

DB556

Had some fun camping memorial day with the guys, Shot a M1919 shouldering this big was fun

One of the guys made some awesome kabobs

Then yesterday fought my fender off so I can start getting the power steering in.

Then installed my new peterbilt turn signal switch, no more floor switch for me. It even looks pretty correct to the truck, might paint the chrome.

Got out my bigger air chisel to blow off the frame rivets, (always have the biggest air chisel your compressor can run)

And now the Ross HF54 (glock 19 for reference)

Time to drink some more coffee, eat some eggs, do come CAD modeling (Cardboard Aided Design) and cut a 3 3/4" hole in my frame

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks