• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New dash pad?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mmmmmm dash pads i need to replace mine soon but dont have the cash .... temp fix i have a rug dash cover over it :( oh did they put gray dash pads with red/ brown seats/? and set belts in thes trucks from the factory?
I actually talked to a retired motor pool Sgt about that part - the gray replacement dash pads. He told me that's the way the came from GM - and the DID have some paint, but no one in the motor pool was willing to spray it on. if you didn't do it correctly, well you know.

Yes, seat belts from the factory. Someone replaced the front belts in my newest M1009 with later seat belts. They actually STAND UP RIGHT. Makes it really easy to find. The funny part is a buddy of mine got in the first time in the new Blazer and started reaching for the floor, looking for the short half of the seat belt. I tapped his arm and pointed at the NEW one. OH says he.

But he's been riding in my other two trucks for a while now, so that's what he's used to. The original seat belts.

NMC_EXP

=wallew;718855Re:Altitude not effecting plastics and rubber products statement is MAINLY true.

We owned a SAAB that we bought new about twenty years ago. The rubberized glue dried out and the side mirror glass literally fell off the other part of the mirror. I actually caught one of them as it fell and saved it. It popped off when I closed the door. So I was lucky.

But Saab said they had cars experiencing this problem ONLY in Albuquerque and Denver. Those were the only places where this occurred because of the ALTITUDE AND THE UV rays, the rubberized glue dried out. Because it was the side mirrors, the glass HAD to have some form of insulation from the vibration of the road. Hence the rubberized glue.

They replaced both side mirrors once they figured out a new glue and we never had a problem with that again..
Non-metallic materials (rubber, plastics, and rubber based adhesives) are degraded by: heat, oxygen, ozone and UV light.

The "drying out", shrinkage and cracking seen on dash pads is a combination of all these factors plus the liquid ingredients in the plastic evaporate out over time. That is where much of the shrinkage comes from.

If the glue was on the back side of the mirror, it's hard to figure how UV light / high altitude could have been a factor.

Regards

Jim

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's EXACTLY what I said to the SAAB mechanic. He just shrugged and said that's what SAAB told them.

They replaced BOTH mirrors and used some kind of special polymer two part glue. One part on the mirror, the other part on the plastic part of the mirror. They taped them in place and told us we could remove the tape in 24 hours. Never had any other problems with the mirrors.

Can't say why they said that. But the guy was very specific - ie ONLY in NM & CO and only at altitude? Can't say why...

It's a mystery

lavarok

Anyone use one of the molded aftermarket dash pads listed on Ebay for around $200?

There are black ones on there now, but they were selling some grey ones a while back.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone use one of the molded aftermarket dash pads listed on Ebay for around $200?

There are black ones on there now, but they were selling some grey ones a while back.
I left the link on here the dash pads I bought $189.00 shipped
I order them and had them in 2 weeks and they are just what wanted.
the color is all the way through and they are Urathane not vinyl but you still can get them but cost alot more.

CPAPPY

I left the link on here the dash pads I bought $189.00 shipped
I order them and had them in 2 weeks and they are just what wanted.
the color is all the way through and they are Urathane not vinyl but you still can get them but cost alot more.
cjtroutt , Do you know witch one holds up the best , Ureathane or vinyl rap.
I have used a lmc overlay and was not impressed with it . I want something thats going to fit , and less time messing with it . would you say the urethane hold up for 5 years or better .

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CPAPPY the Ureathane one hold up better than vinyl
the vinyl is good if you are doing an resto job for car show's.
Ureathane has UV protection as vinyl dont.
I had bought 25 of them in the last 5 years and still no problems.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dash Pad

Guy's you can still get the OEM style vinyl over foam dash pads as NEW Repos from my supplier on e-Bay. I have used these on all my restorations with excellent results. These pads are an exact replacement for the original equipment. PLUS they are cheap!!!! Because you are buying wholesale!!! Please check him out and tell him I sent you.
I would NOT use any kind of cover...

81-87 Chevy GMC Truck Blazer Suburban Dash Blue Vinyl - eBay (item 360338229818 end time Jan-30-11 10:54:39 PST)

David

CPAPPY

Do you order blue and paint them? Where do you buy your door seals from , cab to door seal . Do you paint your door panels also. Your trucks are so nice , great job on them you have put alot of time in those truck.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dash pad

Door and window seals (felt) from LMC. Use SEM vinyl dye for the hard plastic door panels and the dash pad. He has all colors...if you want black ask he may have it otherwise get any color he needs to get rid of (cheaper) and dye black. Also, check LMC stuff BEFORE you buy from a Military supply example. Rear light lense from LMC $7ea (they are nice) ....Eastern surplus (CV-5012) Lens - New $65!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David

CPAPPY

My local parts monkey has these numbers for the full size CHevrolet truck dash pad although he says that the 81-84 is different than the 85-86 and not available.

The site below has the 85-86 #
GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts

GM PART # 15641405
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $589.88
OUR PRICE: $343.01

81-84 14031898 85-86 15641405
Great thank's for all the work finding these part # and prices that helps me.

CPAPPY

When you say dye them with SEM dye is that a paint . I tried something like that though LMC and didn't like it . I used epoxy primer on mine thinning it down with lacq. thinner. WHERE did you buy your SEM DYE. also thanks for all your help.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dye

The dye holds up much better than paint because it soaks into the vinyl/plastic. I tried to dye the seat belts on the first truck or two and was not happy with the results. After drying they became hard and would not roll up into the belt retractor, so I have been leaving them original.

Not to highjack the thread but I started a build thread here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/64971-fresh-resto-5-m1009.html

Where we can talk about all this.

David :driver:

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My local parts monkey has these numbers for the full size CHevrolet truck dash pad although he says that the 81-84 is different than the 85-86 and not available.

The site below has the 85-86 #
GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts

GM PART # 15641405
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $589.88
OUR PRICE: $343.01

81-84 14031898 85-86 15641405
Chevy and GMC dash pads for C & K 1973 thru 1980 were the same.
Model change sheet metal and inside
1981 thru 1987 C & K and 1988 & 1991 R & V were all the same
as for CUCV every thing was based off 1983 GM6.2L diesel and body up dates
so I order parts for 1984 K5 blazer or 1984 K 30 pickup.
hope it helps.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dash pads

When buying these dash pads you will have to hammer down the center of the dash support..the sheet metal... inorder for the pad to sit level on the dash support. I will post pictures when I install the dash in my current project. [thumbzup]