• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New dash pad?

Keith_J

How about using those vinyl repair kits? These have a thermoset material and dyes to match colors, you would need to fill to 1/16' or so below, then mix the repair putty to match color and apply. The cover with grain paper to match and use an iron to polymerize the thermoset vinyl.

I would think this may last a good while because the existing vinyl has shrunk. I've repaired other vinyl items with good success, never a dash.

Whitfield

I found this info stamped into the face of the dash pad of a 1985 C-10 (behind the plastic face trim / pass side)

Aug 6 85
IL-22496
Davidson Rubber Co.

Looking up Davidson Rubber Co. / The article says they have long been out of business and the dash pad industry moved over seas.

Attachments

CycleJay

Hi guys,

I need a new dash pad too. I prefer to replace the pad, and not just cover it up.
So, thanks to CJtroutt for posting the link to Car parts discount.
I am considering ordering this, as soon as I can fit it into my budet, and I get a few more important issues out of the way first.
http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/aut...dash_pad_medium_gray.html?3593=127562&slide=1

It looks and seems from the description that it should work. So we shall see...

Just my $0.02 cents...

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the urethane type pad. Original was vinyl over foam. The urethane does not hold up well to heat/cold temp changes.

David

CycleJay

Skysix,

Really, thanks for the tip. In that case, I will scratch that idea. And go to my local Chevy dealer, and see if they can get one or know where I can find one.

Thanks...

K9Vic

I can pretty much guarantee you will not find one at a dealer and the black dash that LMC and Car Parts Discount sells is a vinyl, but only the black one. As it says on CPD page it is the correct Madrid grain vinyl vacuum molded over a foam core. The others are the urethane style that is cheaper quality, but if well maintained it should last a long time. This is why the black vinyl one is $100 more, but you can get the correct dash from multiple sources on the Internet.

I just bought one of the molded plastic black covers that LMC and JC Whitney sells for $99, but I got it for just under $80 with free shipping on Cyber Monday sale. I just glued it on with the supplied silicon sealant and will install it tomorrow. The fit was very good and easy to install on the old dash pad. I figured for $80 I would give it a try and see how it works, so far it is working out well. I should have bought two more, but at the time I wanted to see how well they worked in person. The 20% with free shipping will probably be back again soon at JC Whitney and will order two more.

Whitfield

I should have taken a pic of my cover before I removed it.

The silicone / probably not laid well had pulled loose, the cover had cracked, the speaker hole location and size were of a funky looking orientation. Granted this cover was probably laid by the national guard 10+ yrs pre auction. I think they are OK But I also look at buying one = I could have used that $$$ for 80-100 off of the price of a new dash pad.